VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a bit of issue getting my mounts adjusted for my 42dd turbo-back. I've tried BFI stage 1 mounts and VF mounts.

The gap on the motor side is about 13mm (1/2 inch).

There seems to be plenty of adjustment available on the tranny side.

Without the dog bone, there's about 2mm of clearance between the flex pipe and heat shield

There's about 3-4mm of clearance between the dogbone and subframe. When seated, this pulls the bottom of the motor back.

With the motor pulled back by the dogbone, the clearance between the flex joint and heat shield is taken up and the flex joint touches the heat shield.

I see the following solutions.
  1. The top of the motor needs to move back.
    • How?
  2. The dogbone needs to push the bottom of the motor forward or not not pull it back as far.
    • Is it possible the subframe is too far back?
    • Would the VF dogbone be long/stiff enough?
  3. The motor needs to move towards the driver side more.
    • There doesn't seem to be enough adjustment room left in the motor mount even though there's plenty in the tranny mount.
  4. Cut away the heat shielding. (seems sketch)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Did you end up removing some length to your catback? If you didn't, it will hit the driveshaft cover where the exhaust piping makes a bend around it.
I do think it's banging on the driveshaft/cover. So you recommend shortening the undercar portion to pull the dp up/back a little?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What did you end up doing? I'm having a similar issue with my eBay dp banging on something while in reverse.
The short of it...
I reconnected my cat back and pulled it towards the motor as far as I could get it to go.
I put a bar between the flex joint and body to maintain space.
I did a full readjustment of all mounts: motor side, then tranny, then dog bone.
I then removed the bar I was using to maintain space.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I do think it's banging on the driveshaft/cover. So you recommend shortening the undercar portion to pull the dp up/back a little?
No, the issue is the aftermarket downpipes tend to have a longer extension that pushes the catback system towards the rear of the car. You can chop off any section of pipe after the joint holding the downpipe and catback together. Obviously measure it out yourself or take it to an exhaust shop. When I had my Blue Flame catback system undergo a muffler delete, I also had them shorten it so it would sit where the oem position of the exhaust hangers lined up. After that, no rubbing, no noise etc.

If you want to verify it's hitting the driveshaft cover because it's too long, just look at the hangers, they will probably be pushed back at an angle instead of vertically straight. :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts