VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happened at 35psi, second gear, just as peak boost hit.
Either the rod let go, or the rod bolts let go. Hard to tell from what I have been able to see so far. The rod cap is in perfect shape, but the rod junk, pulled it out of the oil pan
Pulling the head tomorrow to check the valves. Plugs looked perfect.
I had been driving the car all week at 23-24 psi, even seeing 30 a couple of times, and it was fine, pulled hard... but as soon as she saw 35psi again... boom!
Please, no one tell me they are sorry it happened. This is a good thing and is sending me in a new direction. New motor is getting built ASAP, so really, it isn't a big deal.
Guess all you guys that thought I was lying about the stock motor feel kinda silly now, don't ya...

I'll try to get pics of everything as soon as I can.
Mad powa coming soon...

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: motor is done... (turbotuner20V)

Quote, originally posted by turbotuner20V »
bye bye 500whp barrier...

pisser huh... That is the only thing I am dissappointed about. If only I had the .84 on thier the first day I dynoed...

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: motor is done... (Wizard-of-OD)

Quote, originally posted by Wizard-of-OD »

(p.s. ABA Block + 1.8T Crank =
)

Was just thinking that last night... long rod what?

But I may just do a normal spec 1.8 bottom end... a bit up in the air right now...

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Re: motor is done... (27psiBoom)

Quote, originally posted by 27psiBoom »

So how many stock engines have you blown so far?

But this one, N20 had nothing to do with. I feel more comfortable about the limits achieved with this setup, than any other.
Pretty sure I am gonna run a GT35, and spin the thing to 8500. Head is getting built, still hydro lifer, though. Just springs and retainers. It'll all be good stuff.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

So why would you say the last one had blown?

My MK4? For the same reason this one did. But with the N20, there was so much more torque down low, that it let go with lower peak hp numbers.
Quote »
would you agree the stock rods are the week point?

I have always said that. Nothing has changed. Just wanted to see what I could make on standalone without n20 vs. my old setup in which I was limited by the stock ECU.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Re: motor is done... (1.BillyT)

what is still kinda nuts to me is that I never had a problem with the headgasket or head bolts... more on that when I finally tear the motor down.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Re: motor is done... (dcomiskey)

It was about 3 years ago, and it was with nitrous and less power.
This is what happens when you keep pushing the limit. I'm not afraid to blow up a motor in the sake of learning smething that will only make the next one that much better. Tuning was spot on, plugs were perfect, and I am 100% sure the pistons are perfect. Just too much power for stock rods.
It was a week from the first time the car saw 490 wheel till it let go. no big deal.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·

You are the man!!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Will you keep on pushing the stock internals or are you upgrading to stronger rod/pistons.??

time to move on... I would love to have made 500 wheel on a stock motor, but I just don't wanna put any more money in that direction... It is sombody else's goal to obtain now... Just like the 11s in a Mk4...
It'll get done eventually.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

Quote, originally posted by kilmer420 »
not at all...
I still haven't seen picts of your motor yet once even...
How do I even know that you blew it up now?

Are you serious?
Surely you aren't serious...
set the pipe down, man.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·

Beautiful, isn't it...

Too bad I just pulled it out or one of the boxes of broken rods I have, from all of the motors I have blown up...

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Re: motor is done... (nycvr6)

We should be bringing a pretty decent VR out as well... should be lots of 10 second passes... It'll be the fastest WF yet.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Re: motor is done... (KrautFed)

Quote, originally posted by KrautFed »

Did you ever detonate?

No detonation that I could ever detect.
I'll measure the rods when they are pulled out. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·

Quote, originally posted by 1.BillyT »
The rods were actually blessed by Jesus Christ himself.

My skin burns when I touch them.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·

You know, the funny thing about this, is that I have the rod cap too... and it is perfect. Absolutely perfect... I think the problem with this wasn't so much that the rod broke, but the rod bolts let go... that would explain the hole in the oil pan, the perfect rod end cap, and all of the ensuing destruction....
The last motor that let go, and pretty much all the other guys I have seen that posted pics of blown motors, all still had the rod attached to the crank. interesting....

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Re: motor is done... (Speedy G)

I'd like to be the guy that sees what you could do with stock pistons and aftermarket rods, but it just isn't gonna be me this time. I am 100% sure my pistons are perfect, though... the plug looked absolutely normal, so that is a good sign.
Any of the big rod manu's will make a rod that would work with stock pistons, but you will have to pay and wait to get them.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Re: motor is done... (killa)

Quote, originally posted by killa »
Rest assure that the most hp for a 4cyl stock block vw record will stay in safe hands

luckyyyy...

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Re: motor is done... (QuickK03Crap)

I thought the stock rods had a different shape at the wrist pin, which was also in the stock piston, and that was the issue with running aftermarket rods with stock pistons... is that old disproved news?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.