VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
11,308 Posts
Re: motor is done... (CEL-4-LIFE)

Quote, originally posted by CEL-4-LIFE »

i would hope that this year all the 1.8t heavy hitters will bring something good to the table...
i seriously think this year that the 1.8t's will wreck shop at WF...
i wouldnt be surprised if he got it back on the road in 2 weeks.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif for a motivated dood.

werd

· Registered
11,308 Posts
Re: motor is done... (1.BillyT)

Quote, originally posted by 1.BillyT »
You know, the funny thing about this, is that I have the rod cap too... and it is perfect. Absolutely perfect... I think the problem with this wasn't so much that the rod broke, but the rod bolts let go... that would explain the hole in the oil pan, the perfect rod end cap, and all of the ensuing destruction....
The last motor that let go, and pretty much all the other guys I have seen that posted pics of blown motors, all still had the rod attached to the crank. interesting....

Mine wasnt attached to the crank.

· Registered
11,308 Posts

BTW, I just pulled my head... all of my pistons were perfect. Could still see the original bore numbers that are engraved at the factory.
One interesting thing, though... All of the pistons had made contact with the exhaust valves. But none of the valves appeared to be bent. Also, the contact was from a while back, as there was carbon in the knicks on the pistons. Also, remarkably, none of the valves in the hole that let go, appear to be bent either.
Pics when it is light outside.

Hmmm, floating valves? You think 7700RPM is not safe for the stock head? You took it to 8000RPM a few times right?

· Registered
11,308 Posts

I took to 8000 alot... like I said, though, there was no apparent damage to the valves, and the damage to the pistons was old, it didn't happen when the motor let go..
I am stumped. I would have expected any piston to valve contact to be on the intake side for one, and two, to take out the valves that touched... niether of which happened.

8000RPM alot with big cams... How many miles were you revving it like that for?
Just wanna know for personal sake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.