VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
11,308 Posts
Re: motor is done... (1.BillyT)

Quote, originally posted by 1.BillyT »
I took to 8000 alot... like I said, though, there was no apparent damage to the valves, and the damage to the pistons was old, it didn't happen when the motor let go..
I am stumped. I would have expected any piston to valve contact to be on the intake side for one, and two, to take out the valves that touched... niether of which happened.

8000RPM alot with big cams... How many miles were you revving it like that for?
Just wanna know for personal sake.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Re: motor is done... (bobqzzi)

Quote, originally posted by bobqzzi »
Wait..is that a typo? stock pistons weigh 998 grams? No way is that possible.

okay, I just reread that email again... That stock piston weight was with the wrist pin.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Re: motor is done... (FrankiEBoneZ)

Only 1200 miles since last July... but they were hard miles. That doesn't include Uber Golf, though... I beat on the car for a week straight with no problems... including two road course days.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Re: (fast_a2_20v)

I emailed him to get the correct weights... we'll see.
I guess I am not even digesting the numbers he gave me, it's been a long few days.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Re: motor is done... (rracerguy717)

Quote, originally posted by rracerguy717 »
Billy the best way to read valve float from your valve train is look at the top of the buckets for flat spot marks
Bob.G edit add the reason for the exhaust side float first is the mass weight of the exhaust lifter/spring/ valve

Modified by rracerguy717 at 11:51 PM 4-13-2005

^^^ Peeps like these are why the Tex is kool. Dubbers sharing GOOD info trying to help a guy out. Makes me happy to be a member.
Dave

·
Registered
97 Posts
I weighed my pauter/tt piston combo last week and each set with pins weighed 1002g.
Pauters were 586g without big end beaings.
tt (20mm) rods were 604g including big end bearings.
I don't know what the big end bearings weigh, but my gues is that the 998 don R measured means theres about 4 grams in it per set.

·
Banned
6,023 Posts
Re: (bobqzzi)

Quote, originally posted by bobqzzi »

Does Pauter have an option for forced pin oiling?

Good idea but that would alter the rods strength. Thinking about it....if the stock rod didn't have the oil gallary it would have had an extra 0.110 cuin more material which may have given in it a better chance...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Re: (kilmer420)

Quote, originally posted by kilmer420 »

red X

you mean to tell me you have never heard of the RED-X line of billet, forged, cast rods? man, wtf Val. it combines the properties of a cast rod, forged rod, and a billet rod all in one.
hell even those cast carbide composite coated rods too...

·
Banned
10,373 Posts
Re: (CEL-4-LIFE)

According to Marco at SEM, AWD pistons work all day long with no modifications with the same Pauter rods that Don is using. Now there are different versions of Pauter's that I've seen comparison pics of. But it can be done with off the shelf parts. And that's what I'm going to do.
If it doesn't work when it comes time, I'll order up some pistons too. lol

·
Banned
6,105 Posts
Re: (CEL-4-LIFE)

Quote, originally posted by CEL-4-LIFE »

you mean to tell me you have never heard of the RED-X line of billet, forged, cast rods? man, wtf Val. it combines the properties of a cast rod, forged rod, and a billet rod all in one.
hell even those cast carbide composite coated rods too...

that's the hottest secret I never knew about...PM me about it
we'll chat!

·
Banned
10,373 Posts
Re: (Don R)

Quote, originally posted by Don R »

VW GTI 1.8L: 43754
P/N: GTI-200-506-1440F
SET ID#: J-43, 54, 63,65
Center to Center Length: 5.668in
Big end weight: 403 grams
Overall weight: 588 grams
Trq Spec: 50 ft/lbs
Small end Dia: .7877in
Big end Dia: 1.9923in
Big end Width: .980in
Small end Width: .980in
Mat'l Spec: E4340 C'MOLLY STEEL

In case you guys missed my post earlier, these WILL work with stock AWD/AEB pistons.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Re: (kilmer420)

Quote, originally posted by kilmer420 »
red X

You guys really can't see the pic? I see it. If you can't see it, it is a pic of the rods and pistons when they are taking them out of a Top Fuel funny car at the Gatornationals a couples weeks back.

141 - 157 of 157 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.