VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Diesel, I doubt im gonna be able to work around the timing stuff that seems inevitable. I already have the belt loose up top, im trying to get the IP pulley off to get to those hex bolts holding the whole bracket in. But i was lookin for some local help with it getting that mount/bracket out and timing it.

· Registered
882 Posts
The IP sprockets can be stuck on there good. I usually loosen the nut but leave it on. Then put a small gear puller on it and put some tension on it then tap the sprocket with mallet and it should pop right off.

I only leave the nut on so the sprocket doesn’t fall.

Everything is a lot easier if you have the correct tools and a repair manual. I’d stop by if I wasn’t 1200 miles away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
891 Posts
I just inspected my pass side motor mount while it was out. Looked fine but upon closer inspection
it has a small tear in the rubber. Being the PIA changing those out I opted to just clean it up and fill
it with https://www.lowes.com/pd/LOCTITE-Pl-Pack-10-oz-Black-Paintable-Caulk/1002441008.
It takes a while to fully cure, like a week or more.
Even if I was installing a brand new mount, I'd use this stuff to make it tougher.
Seems like mounts for the mk1 diesels just don't last long enough on their own.

Ever better is 3M windoweld (08609).
People use it to fix lots of rubber parts, works well to re-inforce mk1(bad designed) strut mounts
Fix door or hatch seal rubber while you're at it. Any left in the tube will go bad
Cleans up with 90% iso alcohol (helps for smoothing it over too)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.