VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last four or five years, since buying our two 2009 Mk5's, I've never been able to find VW 502 00 oils at the local WalMart -- I've had to search farther.

Yesterday, for the first time, I saw Mobil1 European Car Formula 0W-40 at WalMart. The bottle said it meets the VW 503 01 standard, but nothing about 502 00.

I see a few references here and elsewhere on-line to 503 01. There are some mentions that it's equal or superior to 502 00; other references say that it's an obsolete or superseded standard, whatever that means.

I'd feel better also seeing the 502 00 standard on the bottle.

Opinions? Or, better yet, authoritative references?

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Well you know me, or I thought so...

Purchase your CORRECT Oil at the dealership, do your oil changes, and motor on...

·
Registered
834 Posts
I just bought a 5qt bottle of this exact oil from my local walmart the other night, and mine has the 502 standard on it...

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to the Mobil 1 website, M1 0W40 Euro has VW 502 approval.
I just bought a 5qt bottle of this exact oil from my local walmart the other night, and mine has the 502 standard on it...
Well, yeah, I know that Mobil1 European Car Formula 0W40 has always met the VW 502 00 standard; it's been on the approved lists for years now. That's what I've been using in both our Mk5's, though our local Walmart hasn't been carrying it.

This is the first time I've seen it anywhere marked now that it meets the VW 503 01 standard. No mention on the bottle I saw now regarding VW 502 00.

And the Mobil1 web site doesn't mention 503 01, so I'd say the info is old.

I assume 503 01 exceeds 502 00, but I want to make sure that's a good assumption.

And Tim, if 503 01 is a newer standard that exceeds 502 00, and (for me) is more-convenient to find, I'll start using it.

Just like our old Mk3 Jetta originally required API SF/SG (VW 500 00/501 01); but we now use a higher-standard oil (the same 502 00 as for our Mk5's, in fact, so I only have one type of oil in the garage).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.