VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out racing my car last night and all of a sudden it started shooting smoke out the tail pipe. when I saw this I let off and pulled over and cut the car off. checked everything and it didn't look like the headgasket was blown or anything so i let it sit for 10 mins then started it up. lightly smoked a few seconds then it was ok. I drove the car home and it didn't smoke once. I'm thinking my rings are shot. I have a spare motor in my garage and I have a headgasket kit. I'm thinking if I should rebuild the motor that in my car or rebuild my spare motor and drop it in. What do u guys think?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Re: motor rebuild (tyrone27)

If it's running fine, I think you should do a compression check and keep your eyes on the oil pressure and temp.
You might have swallowed a bit of blowby...what does your air filter look like? Oily?

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
Re: motor rebuild (Ron P)

check compression, and check your airbox, you might have had a massive amount of blow by......er..ya..what Cheapass said

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Re: motor rebuild (Ron P)

Quote, originally posted by Ron P »
If it's running fine, I think you should do a compression check and keep your eyes on the oil pressure and temp.
You might have swallowed a bit of blowby...what does your air filter look like? Oily?

When you do your compression check, do it "dry" first, and make note of those numbers. Then do a "wet" test by squirting a small amount of 30 wt oil in each cylinder. If your compression numbres are a good deal higher with the wet check, that's a sign that your rings are bad.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: motor rebuild (Two-Point-Oh16V)

I took the air filter out and it has oil on it. My car is running at 100 on highway and 120 in traffic. its running a little hotter then normal. i haven't notice a drop in performance. but I know when I sit at a light it starts to smoke out the tailpipe.
but when I tap the gas a little it goes away. I think its valve seals
but I don't know. I did a compression test about two months ago and it
was 150 in all 4 cylinders. I'm going to do another one monday when I'm at work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts