VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The motor in my Jetta is shutting off at WOT on a somewhat random basis. The few times I have made this happen I decided to not let off the throttle right away and see what happened. The motor remained shut off as long as the throttle was in the WOT position, and then when I let off the throttle the motor would start running normally again. Then, immediately after this happened I would step back on the throttle to the WOT position and the motor would run all the way up to redline normally. The motor is not misfiring, it is completely shutting down when this occurs as long as the throttle is held in the WOT position. One time I did this I had accelerated up to about 70 MPH when it happened and I did not let off the throttle until the car had coasted down to about 50 MPH and then let off the throttle and the motor at that point restarted and ran normally. Any thoughts what might be causing this?
- Bob

· Registered
4,870 Posts
Re: Motor Shuts Off @ WOT. (Evolution Marine)

is this on the car in your signature? If it is, then I would think its bad software. Might want to talk to JEFNES3 or get GIAC chip. If not that car, it sounds like a mk4 drive by wire problem. Which there are tons of.

· Registered
407 Posts

Are you certain your motor shuts off when it happens? If so then you should see the lights on your instrument panel turn on. It could be that your TP sensor is bad. I would VAG it and see what codes you get.

· Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I cleaned the MAF and it seems to have stopped shutting down at WOT. Instead of cleaning the whole MAF sensor I just took the sensor out of the housing and used Denatured Alcohol on a cotton swab and rubbed the electric sensor (looks like a small circuit board) at the end of the sensor assembly that is in the air flow. I cleaned both sides and the edges. At this point the motor runs great. Also I VAG'd the motor and no codes showed up.
- Bob

Modified by Evolution Marine at 9:45 PM 1-17-2004

· Registered
532 Posts

Bob. This sound load-dependent which points to a few things, but I recently had bad spark plugs cause the same problem. As the load increased, the spark was knocked out in a few cylinders. Pulled the plugs and the gaps were like 1/8" on each side or more. Might want to check to be sure!
Scott

· Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Motor Shuts Off @ WOT. (GSB Enterprises.com)

Scott - Thank you for the tip on the spark plug gap. I will check that out. BTW, How is your turbo project going, I would like, very much, to take a ride in it when your finished.
- Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.