VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so the car still hesitates and backfires, I thought it was a burned/leaky valve but it seems to run fine when it's warm out and still has lots of power, not to forget that it passes compression test. Ignition system works fine, fuel holds a steady 3 psi, new plugs, cap/rotor, wires are good, ignition system checks out fine, timing is set to about 30. The only thing I can think about is my chokes being too big, but how did it run smoothly with them for almost a whole year? any ideas guys?

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: motor still F'd up, whyyyyyy!!!! (Lowjack)

it would only run with that much timing, & the right size jets are in there, my a/f gauge varified that, even if the gauge lied, it's doing this around 1500-2000 rpm. You would be taking off and as soon as you let your foot off the clutch it would just fall on its face then pick up and go.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Re: motor still F'd up, whyyyyyy!!!! (Lowjack)

I think it's something with your low speed ccts. Now, that can because of bad idle/low speed settings/adjustments. If you drive your car as hard as I do in the racecar evetually the throttle shafts can twist. You could even check that. I'd pull off the carbs, make sure that the throttle plates can close properly (look at a very bright light through the bores and see if your shafts are twisted) and such. Then start from the basics and balance your carbs. I'm assuming that you have no issues at WOT - most carbs generally don't. It usually is all the light/part throttle stuff that has more issues.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: motor still F'd up, whyyyyyy!!!! (RaceJetta)

see the thing is, i've ruled out the carbs already, I have 3 sets of functinal carbs all with their own parts, the problem is there after swaping through all 3 carbs, different timing settings and different jetting.
I think i'm just gonna get myself a new carter pump, finish porting my 1.8 head and crack the head gasket open to see wtf went wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.