VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right well i am thinking of doing a swap...i have a mk3 2.0 golf...and i was wondering if anyone could help me with the pluses and minuses of the 2 engine types. Also was wondering how much some ppl have payed for the swap.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Re: Motor Swap...1.8t or v6... (Lunchb0x)

...nobody even wants to participate in a thread on VR vs. 1.8T... This has been a topic of countless of threads, and you wan't really hear anything new this time... They're both good engines, and yoy can't realy go wrong... VR6 swap is a little cheaper & less complicated (it's easy to find an engine, and it basically bolts right on...) VRs have UNLIMITED potential (if you turbocharge/supercharge it afterwards...), but they're heavy & gas guzzlers...
[edit] It really depends if you want a "supercar" (I've seen some SC-ed VRs putting out over 300 hp...), or a brisk, sporty daily driver...

[Modified by LuvVDubs, 8:49 PM 4-7-2002]

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Re: Motor Swap...1.8t or v6... (Sinister Midget)

quote:[HR][/HR]id go 1.8t, cause i just got beat by one
[HR][/HR]​
LOL, good point.
When the first VR's came out werent the supposed to be a relatively light V6?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Re: Motor Swap...1.8t or v6... (Sinister Midget)

if u really have the $, for 7500 u can get a 5v 2.0 engine from ECS, which bolt right on to MK3....
1000 less for the 1.8 version

·
Registered
21,868 Posts
Re: Motor Swap...1.8t or v6... (Salty D)

I've said it a million times, but here it is once more..
The 1.8T is the better track-style performance motor, period, end of story. Why? Weight and technology. It's easily tunable, and you can make more power for less money than the VR6. Downsides: More expensive, can be less reliable, and the VR is capable of bigger power numbers with a huge turbo setup (But only when fully built)
The VR6 has a great solid feel to it, and a much more linear power curve. There's always power right away. It's more factory correct, cheaper, and the install is much easier. But it's a lot of weight in the front end you just don't need. It's also a 12v, which is not a bad thing, but it's not as efficient as the 1.8T by any means.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Motor Swap...1.8t or v6... (thehoj)

true this has been posted many times before but i never cared to read about it largly due i never thought id have the money to do a swap. But now i am coming into some cash : thanx to old ladys that are rich and dont know how to drive!! :so i am interested in either a swap or a turbo set up on my 8v...

·
Registered
117 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]isn't the VR6 an inline 6 cylinder??
This is a joke right?
What do you think the V in VR6 stands for?!?!?[HR][/HR]​
LOL......Preach it brotha man http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
6,686 Posts
Re: Motor Swap...1.8t or v6... (Diluted)

The V doesnt stand for Victimizing 1.8t's???

1.8T is good to make fast for cheaper, and will handle better. VR6 is better for the most power in the end when money isnt an issue. Either choice will make you happy.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts

Not to hijack the thread or anything but here is a question. What if i were to just drop my car off at a tuning shop, when i pick it up it will have a VR6 in it and i can drive away. What should I expect to pay in US dollars? I do not have an engine or any VR6 parts for that matter, what is the average price I should be looking at? It's a 98' 2.0. Will they keep my ABA? If they keep my ABA engine will there be a slight discount on the VR6 swap? This is just a basic swap, no tuning parts installed whatsoever.. pure OEM.
EDIT: Also would like to know how long i should expect to wait since i will have to drive a rental. I'd do it myself if i had a second car and a garage, i live in an apartment though.

[Modified by Sebeck1, 4:23 PM 4-8-2002]

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.