VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
I'm gonna just leave this here because it echoes what I and others here have been saying of the newest BMWs since they popped up...

The biggest culprit is the steering. It’s just … dead. There’s no feel whatsoever. This is a problem plaguing modern BMWs. Then there’s the shifter, which initially has the familiar BMW feel, going back to the E46 M3. But this one feels jiggly, and the throws are quite long. “The whole car is rubbery and disconnected, ” senior features editor Jason Cammisa says.

·
Registered
15,160 Posts
I'm gonna just leave this here because it echoes what I and others here have been saying of the newest BMWs since they popped up...
Cammisa also said that the MK7 GTI was the "greatest car in the world"

So I'm taking all this with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts

You can use as much salt as you want. Doesn't change the fact that Bimmers have become numb toasters on wheels at this point. I say this as an owner and as someone who has driven a sh*t ton of Bimmers. :beer:

·
Goes in two directions
'13 500 Abarth, '14 RAV4R, '16 F31 328i
3,895 Posts
Yikes. Surprised to see the Focus RS dinged so hard for its ride, considering the company it's playing with here.

Not real sure what the basis for the rankings were here. Some cars mention ride quality, others steering feel, and the Porsche and Camaro got slammed for their engines. Quite a Picasso pasta here, and I was surprised to see the Fiat rated 1st. But then again, Camissa wrote the positive for that car.

·
Registered
13,859 Posts

MotorTrend has become TopGear-esque where they don't even try to tone down their biases and extreme statements. They also have odd comparison tests (didn't read this one, for the record) in which the written words don't seem to correlate to the ranking order at the end of the test.

·
Registered
15,160 Posts
MotorTrend has become TopGear-esque where they don't even try to tone down their biases and extreme statements. They also have odd comparison tests (didn't read this one, for the record) in which the written words don't seem to correlate to the ranking order at the end of the test.
That makes sense. When I really want to know if I'll like a car, I go to C&D.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Motortrend writers are all sheltered babies.
You'd have to be in order to complain about steering feel in a BMW M car.

I feel like the people who complain about BMW steering feel are the same type of people who complain about Kanye West sucking because his music doesn't still sound like College Dropout.

·
Registered
13,397 Posts

I feel like the people who complain about BMW steering feel are the same type of people who complain about Kanye West sucking because his music doesn't still sound like College Dropout.
I guess I'm a sheltered baby then. One of the things that I always loved about older BMWs- especially the E-46 was how nice all the touchpoints were. The steering had a perfect weight, the pedals gave just the right feedback. But the latest BMWs seem to have forgotten about that. They aren't bad per-se, but they are no longer a special feature that makes the car stand out.

As for Kanye, I think he sucks for reasons entirely separate from his music. But if we are to complain about the music, I would complain because it is hip-pop rather than hip-hop. I believe the group Binary Star did a good intro to one of their songs explaining the difference.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts

Kanye sucks because he sucks as a human being. His music sucks because it sucks. The only thing he is great at is convincing others he is great. He is overrated at best. I can rattle off 10 rappers who'd rap circles around him and who make superior music. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Bleh really didn't mean to start a convo as to why Kanye sucks, I'm aware TCL hates him.

Just a comparison regarding attitudes. The musician can be replaced by any artist whose sound has changed with the times.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Bleh really didn't mean to start a convo as to why Kanye sucks, I'm aware TCL hates him.

Just a comparison regarding attitudes. The musician can be replaced by any artist whose sound has changed with the times.
I <3 kanye, and I'd buy the M2. Dunno what that makes me.

I can't believe the 124 won, but I've only driven one of the cars in this test. I also wonder how a 981 boxster S manual would have fared if it was to replace the 718, and likewise for the miata vs the fiata.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Regardless of how we feel about the BMW or RS, the real story here is how well regarded the Abarth is. :beer:

Can't wait to try one out. I've seen a few on the road and the drivers universally look pretty damn happy driving them. Gotta love a grin inducing car. :thumbup:

·
Registered
S2000, E320
7,991 Posts

Err, that's the one thing that is universally complained about, most everything else is praised.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Yikes. Surprised to see the Focus RS dinged so hard for its ride, considering the company it's playing with here.

Not real sure what the basis for the rankings were here. Some cars mention ride quality, others steering feel, and the Porsche and Camaro got slammed for their engines. Quite a Picasso pasta here, and I was surprised to see the Fiat rated 1st. But then again, Camissa wrote the positive for that car.
Which for the life of me I can't understand, the ride outside of the "sport mode" suspension settings is downright pleasant.

Also worth noting, the car used was wearing Pilot Super Sports :facepalm:

·
Registered
13,397 Posts

I'm not familiar with his music enough to know to the extent to which his music did or didn't change, but I would point out that most artists who change with the time are mostly remembered for their initial hits. Nobody cares about what Bob Dylan did in the 80s- his 60s hits are what got him his Nobel Prize. Paul McCartney still makes records, and they aren't terrible, but nobody is going to remember them like his Beatles albums. Changing with the times is fine, but most who dominate their craft eventually are no-longer able to do so.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.