VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"The...2.5 liter inline-five, an engine that was unfortunately the item that stood out the most for judges. It got the four-door rabbit to 60 in 8.0 seconds and through the quarter mile in 16.1 at 85.3 mph, which aren't bad numbers. The problem was how the engine achieved them. The five lacks refinement and feels primitive. It's thrashy and harsh and seems as if it's been pulled from another era. It keeps this four-door from being fun to drive and distracts from the car's many positive attributes."
I, personally, haven't driven a 2.5, so am just posting what was stated. Is this a valid assessment? They go on to note all the positives of the overall value of the rabbit.
But what do they know, they picked the Camry as Car of the Year. A car with a $28+k price tag that appeals to just enough of people's senses to make it "the most popular automobile in the United States..." I wonder how thrashy the 4 cyl Camry motor is? They didn't test that one, nor did they enter the GTI rabbit. Apples to oranges to carrot sticks.

· Registered
12,738 Posts
I haven't really wrung mine out yet, but it's got really good torque. I srsly could cruise all day in 3rd gear and 2nd gear starts aren't a problem usually. My friend said it sounds like a "truck engine" though. It does have a very unique sound, nothing like the 5 banger I had in my old Audi.

· Registered
280 Posts
Re: (silverA4quattro)

That's just weird... I drove a standard rabbit and auto 2.5 Jetta and thought they were quite the opposite of rough - sounded like a mini Lambo I thought.
They're not a GTI but they're not exactly meant to be either.

· Registered
69 Posts
The 2.5 has a different sounding whine that almost sounds like a diesel but it is by no means annoying or underpowered. I have the 2.0T but I think if I had driven only the 2.5 I would be happy with it as a daily driver.

· Registered
54 Posts
Re: motor trend rabbit love?... (RS-ZERO)

sounds like they're too used to the MB CLS type of experience.....where you can't hear the motor (even start), or the auto tranny even shift
I enjoy hearing the little 2.5 pipe up.....makes me feel like I'm driving a machine....not manipulating a video game controller
funny how some mags give the Rabbit a "gotta have" vote because of the driving experience....but others arguably complain about the same attribute

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.