VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motronic 2.0 16v swap in my 84 Rabbit GTi

So after some time piecing together everything I'd need for this swap I finally started it today. Here's a rundown of what I'm doing:
-2.0 16v from a 92 Passat (from Patatron!)
-Motronic system
-TT chip
-2Y 16v Tranny from 92 Jetta GLi w/90mm flanges
-Scirocco exhaust mani & downpipe
-Stainless Supersprint exhaust
-8 1/2 lb lightened flywheel
-new Sachs clutch PP, flywheel, & throw out bearing
-new rear crank seal, coolant temp sensor (just in case!)
-Jetta GLi throttle cable
-new 4-pt lower subframe
Here are some pics from the progress today. Biggest hangup of the night: I forgot to disconnect the speedometer cable from the tranny!!!

Rollin her into the garage to start teardown:

then I realized because of the uphill driveway I'd need to back it in the garage so I could roll it out to clean out the bay!!

old motor (JH w/200k and perfect compression!):

preview of things to come!

Motor finally out:

Stuff to go in:

Tomorrow I roll out the shell and clean out the engine bay w/Castrol Super Clean and Simple Green. If I have time with all of this I might put in my 16v Scirocco brake cluster, 22mm Master Cylinder and booster.

Well see how things go......
~Jonny

Modified by Jonny2k at 10:50 AM 6-7-2005

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Re: Motronic 2.0 16v swap in my 84 Rabbit GTi - project started! (Jonny2k)

Johnny is a pimp, and he has the motor out of my old 2.0-16V turbo rabbit, and that makes me sad, so actually, he sucks.

·
Registered
10,908 Posts
you know what amazing... like 10 years ago i use to sit in HS and dream of a black rabbit with a clipper kit, rear wing and TSW imolas.....
looks good

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Re: Motronic 2.0 16v swap in my 84 Rabbit GTi - project started! (Crazy Hungarian)

Quote, originally posted by Crazy Hungarian »
I love that license plate.....800 MLF

MILF

Nice progress. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I said the same thing in his post in the PNW forum!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Motronic 2.0 16v swap in my 84 Rabbit GTi - project started! (Crazy Hungarian)

Quote, originally posted by Crazy Hungarian »
I love that license plate.....800 MLF

MILF

Nice progress. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Totally random license plate assigned by our DMV. Y'know, I am actually surprised this hasn't been recalled b/c we've had some locals w/crazy plates taken away by WA state, like "GOTMILF", "DIAL911" (on a 88 Porsche), and another that's the chemical makeup of Methamphetamine. I'm sure someone will complain tho'.
Thanks for the comments guys......now it's off to clean up the engine bay & remove the old exhaust. I may mount the new motor today if I can get a hold of a cherry picker....we'll see.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

So this is going slower today as I try to clean things up.
Right now, I'm trying to figure out what wiring I can remove and what wiring needs to stay. I've said it before, I'm electrically retarded so I am just taking my time and undoing wiring I imagine I wouldn't need when I install the Motronic.
I also needed to remove the wheel well liners so I could get to the vacuum canister. There's one mounting screw I couldn't get to so I said "screw it" and cut the lines, leaving the cannister in there.
I still need to relocate the fuel lines to the passenger side, cut up the old exhaust w/my dremel, wash the bay, and remove some of the shift linkage to install on the 2Y tranny.....and I STILL don't have the cherry picker!

I was thinking of installing the motor first by putting on a jack and lifting it up into place, installing the front & pass side mount, and then installing the tranny.
Also, when relocating the hard fuel lines does any one have any suggestions on how to do it w/o breaking the lines?
What do you guys think?
Thanks,
Jonny

·
Registered
1,679 Posts

For the fuel lines you can bend them by hand or use a tubing bender that's available at most well stocked auto parts stores. Be carefull though as the tubing is soft and can break. You can cut the fuel lines shorter since they don't need to go all the way over to the passengers side. Then using a cheap flaring tool (harbor freight has one under $10) flare the end of the fuel line. You can use 3/8 FUEL INJECTION hose (not low pressure fuel hose for carbs - that would NOT be a good idea!) and some fuel injection clamps (NOT serrated worm-drive hose clamps) to run from the end of the stock fuel lines to the Motronic fuel dizzy.
Check the link in my sig for some pics of how I did it for my x-flow swap. Total time was less than 1 hour once I decided what to do and had collected the parts and tools.
Good luck w/the swap! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Re: Motronic 2.0 16v swap in my 84 Rabbit GTi - project started! (Bicycle019)

definitely upgrade to the 16V brake setup while you got the motor out. It makes things A LOT easier to work around http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,476 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Jonny2k »
I was thinking of installing the motor first by putting on a jack and lifting it up into place, installing the front & pass side mount, and then installing the tranny.

This is similar to what I did. Except I went in from the top with a hoist
, but then used a floor jack to help align it all. Just connect the passenger side mount [and front] like you mentioned, then while its all tilted down simply bolt up the tranny, then jack up that end until all the mounted align. whallah.
I don't know how this would work in your application, but if you want to bend fuel lines when they're Out of the car, I fill them with sand. Then they bend perfect, no problems. You would have to have compressed air though to blow them out..
I didn't even move my lines though:
http://www.shellfront.org/root...d.jpg

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Motronic 2.0 16v swap in my 84 Rabbit GTi - project started! (pocketrocket84gti)

I didn't get much done on Sunday.......at least that's the way it looks to me. I had a bbq to attend at my folks house so didn't have enuff time to devote. I spent a couple hours scrubbing down the bay w/Super Clean and Simple Green, some wire brushes, and some sponges. It came out pretty clean but now I'm faced w/the dilemma of whether or not to respray the engine compartment.....hmmmmmmm.......I'll think about that a lil bit....
I also pulled the wiper fluid res, as that's where the airbox will sit & since I don't really use it anyway I'm not going to relocate it. Pulled some wiring but I still dont' know exactly which wires need to remain at this point. Also started pulling the fuel lines but I need to p/u a flaring tool today.
Still no hoist so I've decided I'll take my time detailing/cleaning up some stuff (like repainting my radiator fan shroud) and installing my 16v 22mm MC/booster/brake pedal assembly (yeah, THAT should be fun!).
I'll take and post up more pics later today....

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Update!
Well things went slow last week, mainly cause I had a biz trip to San Francisco and couldn't spend much time at home. I've been taking my time since I now have another car to drive and I did some things I didn't think i'd have time for, like painting stuff, cleaning up the bay as much as possible, and ordering a Missing Linkz Linkage Upgrade Kit.
Also, after a lot of consideration I've decided not to install the Scirocco 16v booster/22mm MC/Pedal cluster as I believe my current MC will be more than adequate to run my 10.1 brakes.
Here's what I've done in the last few days:
Masked up the bay and resprayed factory black:

Cleaned up A LOT of sludge around the shift linkage and ordered a Missing Linkz kit (hasn't arrived yet)

Pics of the Fan Shroud

Replaced the rear crank seal......might as well, right?!

Balanced Pressure Plate

8 1/2 lb Lightened / Balanced Flywheel

^^^I actually had a scare w/the clutch disc cuz the side that said "Flywheel" didn't fit, so I reversed it to make it fit. I guess this is common.

Cut out the old exhaust. Here's a couple side-by-side pics of the old and the 60mm Supersprint

Cut and began to relocate the fuel lines. I haven't determined the final length and location yet, so they're just "hanging out" for now.

Also replaced the injector cups, cold start valve, swapped out the linkage from the FO to the 2Y tranny, installed the studs for the rear tranny mount onto the 2Y, and swapped the Gear Selector Lever too.
WHEW!!!! ALmost ready to drop in the motor.....

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a quick update.....
I decided to heed the advice of you more-experienced swappers out there and forego the hoist and use a floor jack to get the motor in. Tonight......I DID IT!
I'm so frickin' happy cuz I had NO ONE to help out (not that some didn't offer.....thanks to those who offered!
) but my biggest concern was trying to balance the motor while trying to install it.
I just took my time and it went in with really no probs...just time consuming, but I wanted to make sure I didn't drop the motor!! So it's 2:30am and I'm beat tired. Got to get up in a couple hours and go to work. I'll post pics later.
G'nite!
~Jonny

·
Registered
20,821 Posts
on the disc, where is says "flywheel" it should have said "this side may or may not face the flywheel" i guess a couple words got rubbed off on yours

-j

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (Muffler Bearing)

Quote, originally posted by Muffler Bearing »
on the disc, where is says "flywheel" it should have said "this side may or may not face the flywheel" i guess a couple words got rubbed off on yours

-j

Thanks for the kind words and support. Here are some pics of the motor installed. Still lots to do including: finishing fabbing the fuel lines, mount intake & exhaust manifolds, install the Missing Linkz shift linkage (when it arrives), attach exhaust, mount the fuel dist/lines, find some rubber "body plugs" to cover the holes in the firewall, find out what type of upper & lower radiator hoses to use, and finally get it wired up.
Sorry the pics are not that exciting and the quality is kinda bad...I'm terrible when it comes to lighting but you get the idea that the engine/tranny are in.

*note the custom mounting to keep the pass-side axle out of the way during the install!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.