VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Ive just spent a few hours going though the car. First off, the god damn thing wont read codes with out moving the ECU connector. The pins are all good and tight on the connector. I think I have broken connections in the ECU or something. Because when I move the connector the LED light flickers on and off.
So after playing with it I finally got these codes and for some reason I cant retrieve any others or reset the ones I have. This is a passat ECU (i thought they were the same ECU's) and im getting the code info from a golf/jetta bentley since the passat bentley has no info on this.
1231 speed sensor
2142 Knock sensor #1
2144 Knock sensor #2
4431 idle stabilizer valve
and I have these that make no sense
I know that the aftermarket chip will eliminate the need for the speed sensors, but I have had 2 GIAC's and both ran sh1tty and had no power. So Im trying to figure out if I have another problem.
My original problem is that the car had a fluctuating idle which is now gone after 20 cold starts. But now when stopping the car will just die. When I put the clutch in and let the revs drop to idle. If anyone has any ideas, please help. Im about to burn this f'kin thing, I swapped from CIS-E to eliminate any tuning problems, I guess that didnt happen

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Re: Motronic problems... (GTibunny16v)

GIAC tells you not to install the chip until all fault codes are cleared from the computer and ignition timing is set to 6° BTDC. That could explain the poor performance of the chip(s).
The codes stay in the computer until you have eliminated their cause(s).
The computer will blink 4444 when there are no codes stored in memory.

·
Banned
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Motronic problems... (nickinboston)

After some time with a multimeter. I have run every test in the bentley manual for the known codes. The wiring and sensors all within specs. Retorqued the knock sensors. I started the car and checked codes. Starting the car was the only way to read the codes easily. To check the codes I had to push the ECU connector to the side, causing the motor to idle at 500-600rpm. But I finally all of the codes out and no more faulty codes
1111 control unit defective
1231 speed sensor
2113 hall sender (this is why i think the motor was idling so low)
2142 knock sensor #1
2144 knock sensor #2
4431 idle stabilizer valve
I now understand why the GIAC felt so sluggish. It wasnt detecting a knock sensor signal, thus pulling timing and over fueling to prevent knocking. These codes all lead me to a bad (cracked circuit or burnt circuit) ECU. Does anyone have an ECU for sale?
Nick, thanks for the use of the test light. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,938 Posts

hey dustin, glad that it helped....
about the 1111 faulty ecu code, did it blink that code last? I always get a series of 1's, even when the ecu blinks out the 4444 (no fault codes). but the series of ones always comes last and its really really long blinks for each one. might not be the ecu if this is the case. they mention nothing about it in the bentley but i think its just some part of the test and not a faulty ecu, esp since i get the 4444 no codes stored code. im sure ill see you sometime this week....we can talk more than.
Good luck eliminating those probs you found....i'm sure its only a matter of time now before that scirocco is running perfectly http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,938 Posts

hey you should call axel's foreign car parts in danbury to see if he has an ecu. that guy has real good prices on a lot of stuff. solid rubber vw motor mount from him was $40 versus the $160 the dealership wanted.

·
Banned
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Motronic problems... (nickinboston)

The order of codes i have written down are the order they came to me from the ECU. I clear the codes and the car runs great and then its like someone flips a switch and it runs good but with less power and then stalls when stopping. I guess thats when it throws the codes.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts

I've got an ECU for you. It came from a cali. car, but it should work fine regardless. $40 plus shipping and it's yours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts