VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
18,206 Posts
Re: Motronic Software for Tuning - Check this (fastslc)

looks a lot like the boards that giac uses:

that winOLS software looks like a straight up way to get something hosed up on a car really quickly....

·
Vendor
ID.4, 997.1
15,434 Posts
Re: Motronic Software for Tuning - Check this (John A)

Yep, ~$10k for a start in the chiptuning business.

BTW, that's my chip! Well, mine is also an AM29F400BB.

·
Registered
18,206 Posts
Re: Motronic Software for Tuning - Check this ([email protected])

i can see the possibility for antics already....
"hey, we can make it request 2.8 bar!"
'ka-boom'
"ok, let's take that back a notch.... and someone bring a mop out for his engine..."

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Re: Motronic Software for Tuning - Check this (fastslc)

Careful that chip will short out on covers of transverse ECUs

10K only gets you software, still doesnt' give you a clue as to what your doing, he he
chris
[email protected]

·
Registered
35,484 Posts
Re: Motronic Software for Tuning - Check this (John A)

quote:[HR][/HR]that winOLS software looks like a straight up way to get something hosed up on a car really quickly.... [HR][/HR]​
I dunno, if you've got even half a brain, you can usually figure that stuff out pretty quickly. Well, ok, more than half a brain, but point is, that's almost exactly what the Honda guys deal with for the Hondata and hardly any of the guys running that ECU/software setup ever have problems.

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Re: Motronic Software for Tuning - Check this (AZGolf)

quote:[HR][/HR]that winOLS software looks like a straight up way to get something hosed up on a car really quickly....
I dunno, if you've got even half a brain, you can usually figure that stuff out pretty quickly. Well, ok, more than half a brain, but point is, that's almost exactly what the Honda guys deal with for the Hondata and hardly any of the guys running that ECU/software setup ever have problems.[HR][/HR]​
Tuning stuff in a Bosch DBW ECU makes tuning hondata look like turning your distributor on a CIS car. FAct is that DBW has tons of safeties in it and would prevent you from damaging stuff for the most part, no more then regualrstand alone would. But its not liek bump up timing and go faster you have to find the rest of the maps that go along wtih it, which is the hard part and the key to good chip tuning.
chris
[email protected]

·
Registered
35,484 Posts
Re: Motronic Software for Tuning - Check this (chris86vw)

quote:[HR][/HR]Tuning stuff in a Bosch DBW ECU makes tuning hondata look like turning your distributor on a CIS car. FAct is that DBW has tons of safeties in it and would prevent you from damaging stuff for the most part, no more then regualrstand alone would. But its not liek bump up timing and go faster you have to find the rest of the maps that go along wtih it, which is the hard part and the key to good chip tuning.[HR][/HR]​
Well with the Hondata you have two 3D fuel maps, two 3D timing maps, and several other little things you can play with like idle control and whatever. Probably a lot more too, but i'm not 100% sure since I don't have one but a friend of mine does. Same concept though, to do it right, you have to adjust more than just the WOT levels, you need to translate those down to all the part throttle settings too. I'm sure DBW introduces extra fun also.
The fact is, people have done it and I seriously doubt that any chip tuner is magically 50 IQ points smarter than a well educated enthusiast or something. It might be time consuming to make programs work like stock, but I'd be willing to bet that if enough guys had the $10,000 programming software that we'd see a lot more homemade kits out there.

·
Registered
13,720 Posts

I'll let Mr. Lim do my tuning...he's pretty good at it, Porsche trusted him to re-write the tuning for the 959 so you know I trust him to do my 1.8t
Mike

·
Registered
35,484 Posts
Re: Motronic Software for Tuning - Check this (MKIV)

quote:[HR][/HR]Mr. Lim=Garret=GIAC[HR][/HR]​
Garret offers one-off tuning for custom turbo setups now? Like I can just make my own turbo kit, call him up, and he'll come over to my house and tune it? Because that's why things like standalones and programmable ECU's are usually better than a tuner. If Mr. Lim will come over to my place and do it for me though, that would be terrific.

·
Registered
24,078 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Well with the Hondata you have two 3D fuel maps, two 3D timing maps, and several other little things you can play with like idle control and whatever. Probably a lot more too, but i'm not 100% sure since I don't have one but a friend of mine does. Same concept though, to do it right, you have to adjust more than just the WOT levels, you need to translate those down to all the part throttle settings too. I'm sure DBW introduces extra fun also.
The fact is, people have done it and I seriously doubt that any chip tuner is magically 50 IQ points smarter than a well educated enthusiast or something. It might be time consuming to make programs work like stock, but I'd be willing to bet that if enough guys had the $10,000 programming software that we'd see a lot more homemade kits out there.[HR][/HR]​
Ok , well that is jsut a plain stupid comment, I would be wiling to put that 10K on the line, you buy teh software, tune a chip as good or better for say an AWD engine, its half the size file of an AWW, did you even know that much??? as say GIAC or APR, and I wil pay you back.
guess who's gonna keep the 10K in there pocket, and whos gonna have softwre they can't use.
Example, and this is nothign against the guy, mkrad does G60 chips, about a 1/4 the size of a AWD file, yet he has an APR or GIAC chip or wahtever in his cable A4, which is half the size file of an AWD, and not even close to as hard as a DBW car, maybe hsi is a DBW, but you get my point.
And its Dr. Lim not Mr.

chris
[email protected]

·
Registered
9,469 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR].
Tuning stuff in a Bosch DBW ECU makes tuning hondata look like turning your distributor on a CIS car. FAct is that DBW has tons of safeties in it and would prevent you from damaging stuff for the most part, no more then regualrstand alone would. But its not liek bump up timing and go faster you have to find the rest of the maps that go along wtih it, which is the hard part and the key to good chip tuning.
chris
[email protected][HR][/HR]​
This what I have been trying to explain to my DSM and Honda buddies, very well said http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
35,484 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Ok , well that is jsut a plain stupid comment, I would be wiling to put that 10K on the line, you buy teh software, tune a chip as good or better for say an AWD engine, its half the size file of an AWW, did you even know that much??? as say GIAC or APR, and I wil pay you back.[HR][/HR]​
Really? That's funny, I didn't know I could call up GIAC and get a chip designed to work perfectly with my 1.8T with 550cc injectors, a GT2540 turbo, Spearco FMIC, 91 octane gas and a ported intake manifold. Gosh, since I can just buy one of those chips right off the shelf, you're right, I was stupid to think anyone could possibly create their own chip for that setup that is tuned better than the one that already exists for it.

[Modified by AZGolf, 5:04 PM 6-11-2002]

·
Registered
24,078 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
Really? That's funny, I didn't know I could call up GIAC and get a chip designed to work perfectly with my 1.8T with 550cc injectors, a GT2540 turbo, Spearco FMIC, 91 octane gas and a ported intake manifold. Gosh, since I can just buy one of those chips right off the shelf, you're right, I was stupid to think anyone could possibly create their own chip for that setup that is tuned better than the one that already exists for it.[HR][/HR]​
Seriously man learn to fricken read, I never said GIAC would do you a custom chip, in fact they won't, in fact no one will. However, I can tel lyou taht you will have better results running an off the shelf chip then if you tried and tuned one yoru self, and hell its 10K, you can do stand aloine in yoru car for less then 1500 bucks if you install it and tune it yourself, THAT WAS MY POINT
doesnt' matter what software you have you wont' be able to just go in there and do a crazy custom chip on your own, even it it looks ths same as yoru friends hondata or whatever, ITS NOT.!!!
chris
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,254 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
Seriously man learn to fricken read, I never said GIAC would do you a custom chip, in fact they won't, in fact no one will...
chris
[email protected][HR][/HR]​
Actually Chris - you DID say as much in my UNICHIP thread - your words were - when I need a chip I just get with Dr Lim and get one... Let's face it - there's more than one way to do things - To someone who has the money, and really really wants to do it - this software package might be good (I'm assuming that if they have that much money for the software - they have enough money to buy the first 2 or 3 engines they blow up
) I'd personally go for the UNICHIP solution and we'll see how that works - Maybe I'll make a believer out of you

·
Registered
18,206 Posts
Re: Motronic Software for Tuning - Check this (Gambit)

if unichip is just an add on (your other thread said you don't have to touch DBW) won't it have the same limitations as other add-ons? (rev limiter, top speed limiter, max boost) ?
i don't know the answer... just throwing it out there

1 - 20 of 51 Posts