VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an 85 gti with a 16v swap and want to swap the car to motronic.I have all the wiring, fuel distributer,ecu and parts from a 92 passat, also the dash wiring from a 91 gti.Is there anything else needed on gti (extra knock sensor?) thats different with the fuel lines that i might need to change?I know this is a fairly common change that alot of you have done out there so any input would be great.

· Registered
2,305 Posts
Re: motronic swap help needed!! (rromero22)

The question I have is are you sure you want to go Motronic?
I would read over some of the technical swap info by searching under different headings.
Most people go FROM Motronic to something else.

· Registered
1981 VW Rabbit Pickup 16V
1,208 Posts

I take it you are currently running CIS-E. If that is the case, you will also want to swap the diaphragm pressure regulator from a CIS-M car as well as the lines and injectors (different pitch threads).
The flowplate position potentiometer is also different on CIS-M cars.

· Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: motronic swap help needed!! (BFDeihl)

running cis with 16vsetup, didnt they jump to cis(e) after 85? Anyway yah i'm having some starting issues ever since i swapped to the 16v plus the engine harness is not a true 16v harness which makes it harder to work with in the bently.just think it's a bad link in the wiring.it looks is if the person who had the car before made a 8v wiring harness work with the 16v.
Anyway have many of the components to do the swap.Just trying to get whatever is needed as far as the fuel system needs that the 85 gti doesnt. What sucks is the ignition wiring is crappy on the 85's.Would you say its not worth the time?

· Registered
1981 VW Rabbit Pickup 16V
1,208 Posts

Quote, originally posted by rromero22 »
Would you say its not worth the time?

Well, if you've inherited a cobbled up 16V conversion and have access to the parts to convert it over to a cleaner CIS-M setup--- I'd say it is very much worth the time.
Getting my pickup's swap sorted took a bit of research, but I'm very happy with the results. In it's current configuration, my 16V puts down nearly 150hp to the wheels, easily passes emissions and consistently gets over 30 mpg. And contrary to many of the posts that knock CIS-M, the driveability is great and it doesn't take a lot of fiddling to keep it in tune.
One of the best on-line resources I've found on CIS-M installations is Brett's write up on Scirocco.org-- http://www.scirocco.org/tech/16v/cise2motronic/
Worth a read http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: motronic swap help needed!! (BFDeihl)

Hey man thanks for the reply, i really appreciate the help!! Well acually the 16v was in a 87 wrecked jetta and really never had any starting issues but car was crap.bought the 85 gti not really thinking of the wiring, especially when you cant swap a 16v wiring harness cuz the relay box connectors are differ.but i've been searching and really have not found that much about doing ce1 to ce2.at least with ce2 it will be plug & play, cars got tt exuast,high flow cat and also want to do the 02a swap that i have. the fuel system is what i'm not too "hand on" on what i need to covert it mainy to the 85.
Yah my buddy had the same setup you have on your a1 16v and that thing screamed!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.