21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Here’s a few pics of Wolfsgart that year

The green cabby I mentioned

The oval window

My girlfriend hiding behind Corey Dikes lovely 4dr I wish he had held on to. He made that roof rack himself, pretty impressive

And of course this thing, I forget the name of the owner at the time, but I was a big fan. It belongs to Rocco Fred’s son now from tech 53 and had that engine fire recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So I finished out the 2017 season, I drove the car almost daily all summer and was really loving it. I parked the car for the winter and took it out again around March of 2018. The little 1.5 fired right back up and it was back on daily duty once the weather got nice enough. I was commuting the car to work in late March/ early april when disaster struck

I killed the 1.5. Despite going through 4 or 5 runaways, it still ran pretty great. I had that long geared 5spd in it and it loved highway driving, it would even see north of 85 mph. But I really hadn’t done much maintenance. The cooling system was almost entirely original still. The car had 87k on it when I bought it and it was up to 93k when it died, still with the original rad hoses. They had developed pinholes on the underside that I didn’t see and had leaked all the coolant out on my way to work. There went the head gasket. I was devastated. I was mechanically inclined, but not terribly experienced with engine stuff, and I had no idea how to remedy this situation. I wasn’t prepared to do a head gasket, and it didn’t seem worth it on a 1.5d with worn out rings

I trailered the car home later that day and got to pulling out the drivetrain. My plan was just to find whatever healthy 1.6d I could and drop it in in place of the 1.5 because it was essentially the same engine

I got the engine out in a couple hours and started the hunt for a replacement. Clint ended up having a good running 1.6 he had just pulled from an 84 Jetta that he said I could have for free and he’d help install.

I picked the engine up and started the process of getting it installed. I didn’t clean or replace anything really, I just wanted to do it quick and cheap so I could drive my car again. I did get new radiator hoses tho haha

The engine went in no problem, I had a little guidance and swapping another diesel in is a walk in the park anyways. I got everything hooked up and ready to run, dropped the car, fired it up aaaaaaand
It knocked. Bad.

Turns out, as Clint and his friend were pulling the Jetta into the shop to remove the 1.6, they smacked the oil pan on the concrete lip of the garage and BROKE THE OIL PICKUP IN HALF. Great. Not a huge deal, but a disappointing set back to say the least. They didn’t know, it wasn’t really anyones failt. Instead of tearing down this 1.6d to assess the damage (I was afraid to split an engine apart) I decided to just look for yet another replacement engine.

I found another 1.6d at a friends house, I had traded him my 69 Mercedes for an 80 scirocco a few months prior, and he had a spare 1.6d he planned on swapping in the scirocco that he sold me for 100$

I towed my rabbit up to Clint’s shop with the knocking 1.6 to have him help me tear out the bad engine and put in the new one. My girlfriend was pregnant at the time and my son was due in a month so I wanted to get this swap done quickly and done well. The process went pretty smooth, it took about 4 hrs from the time we arrived until the first fire of the new engine.

This engine started great, no knocks. Thank god. We let it run for a bit to make sure it sounded healthy, ran it up and down the parking lot and I felt alright about it, so I headed for home. I should mention it was 9pm and I didn’t have a cell phone at the time. I dropped my brand new galaxy s8 onto the floor of my car and the entire screen became disconnected, so all I had was an iPhone 4 that only worked on wifi. Really effective for communication.

I got about a mile and a half down the highway towards home before the oil dummy lift came on. Great. I pulled off the next exit and checked the oil. Empty. Great. I had pulled into a gas station that happened to have oil, so I bought them out of 5w40 (which was about 7qts), dumped it all in, and headed back north to the shop. Fortunately Clint was still there tinkering, and we got to work trying to figure out what was going on. Turns out the engine had no oil filter housing gasket whatsoever. We didn’t have any on hand so we had to try to make one. I tried making one from cardboard with the box that the oil filter came in, but that didn’t work. So I slapped rtv all over it and tightened it down. It didn’t seem to leak at all so I called it good and Clint and I both headed home.

I made it another 2 miles before the light came back on. GREEEAT. I had no way of calling anyone, I couldn’t go back to the shop because Clint was gone, so I had to just keep heading for home.

There’s a particular change in exhaust note you can hear right as a head gasket gives out. I can’t describe it, but those who know, know. I heard that new sound for a good 15 miles. 1.6d’s last a suprising time with no oil at 70. Eventually the car started to slow itself down, so I pulled over and shut it off about 10 miles from home. I almost made it. It was about 11:30pm at that point, I had no phone, and I had to try to find a way home. Fortunately after about 45 minutes of waving my arms like a fool, somebody stopped to lend a hand, and ended up giving me a ride home.

·
Registered
22,845 Posts
These stories are at once familiar, and as an older guy, make me go "HELL NO". I went through some of this stuff as well. My buddy surprised me by swapping my broken 1.6d while we were at Madness.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
These stories are at once familiar, and as an older guy, make me go "HELL NO". I went through some of this stuff as well. My buddy surprised me by swapping my broken 1.6d while we were at Madness.
Everyone has to struggle for awhile. Fortunately the car has been excellent to me the last few years, once I got the engine sorted. I’m surprised I managed to stay motivated throughout all my troubles early on

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The following day, I had my car towed back to my house. I feared the worst, but it actually did start and run. The cylinder walls were gone tho. As soon as I gave it fuel, it just revved all over the place. Another 1.6d dead. I took a break for awhile after my son was born to transition in to being a new parent. I stopped actively looking for a replacement engine for my car and let it sit for a couple months.

In august of 2018, I was visiting my local friend Josh to pick up parts, when he showed me an 82 diesel 2dr his friend had picked up on a whim and wasn’t sure he wanted to keep.

It was a good looking car, cashmere white with a blue interior, tan and drove great. Had around 80k on it. Josh told me I could have it for 500$ so I started figuring out how I could part it out to make my money back, and use the drivetrain for my car

Maybe a week or two later, I got a message from my friend Tim saying he knew a guy looking for a complete blue rabbit interior, he didn’t care what year or trim level but it had to be blue and it had to be complete. I told him about the white rabbit and that I’d love to sell the interior for 250$. I figured that was fair given that it was in near perfect shape. He talked to his friend and they worked it out and agreed to send me 250$. That covered half my purchase cost, so I decided to talk to Joshes friend and grab that rabbit.

Apparently there was a little miscommunication. 500$ wasn’t going to cover it. The seller wouldn’t take less than 1000$, which I couldn’t swing. I was trying to be into the car for as little as possible, part it quickly to get my money out of it and just hold on to the engine. I didn’t have much money to throw around. So I had to message the guy who wanted the interior and let him know that the seller wanted 1000$ for the car and I wasn’t going to be able to make the deal work.

He asked me for my PayPal info, and sent me the 1000$. He told me he’d be happy to pay 1000$ for the interior and I could do whatever I wanted with the rest of the car. I was blown away. I thought that was crazy money and I told him that’s far more than id pay for an interior but he insisted. He wanted the give it to his girlfriend for Christmas because she had a cobbled together mismatched interior and was willing to pay for my help. I couldn’t believe it. I rushed over to the sellers house and payed him for the rabbit, which I was fortunately able to drive home.

There’s something special about an unmodified original rabbit that I just can’t explain. I don’t really like late cars too much, but I fell in love with that thing. It was just so tight and solid. I was able to drive the thing for 3-4 weeks before Tim and his friend came up for the interior, and I kept on driving it for a bit once the interior was gone. It was just a good damn car

Eventually I had to stop driving it so I could get the engine out of there. I had put a thousand miles or so on it and new that it was good to go, but I still ordered every component of the cooling system just to make sure nothing happened. I got it in my rabbit a few weeks later and we were back in action! No knocks, no leaks, no runaways, and it’s still in the car today. Four trouble free years so far.

Next on the list for me was wheels. I scored a set of 14x6 4x108 Audi 5000 9 slot wheels with 155/55/14 federals for cheap, and they were a great first wheel. I finally adjusted the ride height on the coilovers to be relatively even all around and loved the look of the flat 14s on rubber bands

That’s how the car remained for about a year, stock 1.6d on those little 14s. I smacked that oil pan on e everything haha.

In that time I’d done some moving around with my other cars. We sold my girlfriends 79

I traded my scirocco for a stroked, big cam carbed 8v to make space for two gti’s, one with raised strut towers and a shaved bay, and the other with an early westy front end, late European rear, the roof cut out, an auto power cage, and sway bars

Then I ended up cutting up the caged gti, swapping the parts into the other gti and selling it to make room for my Lago Blue 80 gas deluxe

I also picked up this 22k mile 83 frost blue Wolfsburg edition that I gave away shortly after

As well as stored this mountain green pickup for Clint, the one he ended up front clipping and aba swapping

Next to it is a really cool 81 diesel 4dr LS I picked up that has a really cool story, maybe I’ll get into that another time. Under the million layers of spray paint was a slate grey car with original diesel graphics. It was daily driven by an old man in my town and unfortunately I didn’t get my hands on it until
It had been ruined

I also found the only other mountain green rabbit sold in my state. There are two in CT currently, mine as well as the one I parked next to at 40s, but that’s a California car. The other original CT car is unfortunately destroyed, but I do plan to go back and cut the tail end off for a wall hanger. The rad support from that car is what ended up on Clint’s MG truck after he welded the new front end on

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Great thread! Sometimes the story makes the car.

-Todd
Thanks Todd! I totally agree. This car is all about the stories it can tell and the memories I’ve made with it. I wanted to make a record of all this stuff before I forget it haha. I’ve already forgotten plenty I’m sure

·
Registered
1985 VW Cabriolet
2,750 Posts
:coffee: Day two reading with my morning coffee while on vacation :)
You are a great story teller. Thanks for sharing the journey.

I think many of us enjoy these old rabbits because of the love hate relationship we have after first buying them and basically relying soley on faith that they will get you to and fro. I remember my olive cabby broke down so often that i started keeping a full tool set in the trunk along with all new belts. I also left my lower timing cover off on my 8v so i could change that on the road if need be lol. Eventually my faith based driving experience became a no faith driving experience and I started always just being prepared for the worst. After a couple years of replacing things when I had money to spare the car became extremely reliable and I eventually sold it. Fast forward 6 years and a good friend sends me a picture of a car that was included for free as a parts car to a rabbit his cousin purchased. Turns out it was my olive cabby :) all fixed up and its being brought back to the shows again in new england.

there is a lot to be said for the vw community. So many cool stories of selflessness and generosity. People going out of their way to help people they sometimes don't even know. Its rare these days as people seem to be getting more and more self absorbed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
:coffee: Day two reading with my morning coffee while on vacation :)
You are a great story teller. Thanks for sharing the journey.

I think many of us enjoy these old rabbits because of the love hate relationship we have after first buying them and basically relying soley on faith that they will get you to and fro. I remember my olive cabby broke down so often that i started keeping a full tool set in the trunk along with all new belts. I also left my lower timing cover off on my 8v so i could change that on the road if need be lol. Eventually my faith based driving experience became a no faith driving experience and I started always just being prepared for the worst. After a couple years of replacing things when I had money to spare the car became extremely reliable and I eventually sold it. Fast forward 6 years and a good friend sends me a picture of a car that was included for free as a parts car to a rabbit his cousin purchased. Turns out it was my olive cabby :) all fixed up and its being brought back to the shows again in new england.

there is a lot to be said for the vw community. So many cool stories of selflessness and generosity. People going out of their way to help people they sometimes don't even know. Its rare these days as people seem to be getting more and more self absorbed.
I appreciate the kind words, thank you.
Always happy to share. It’s been fun recalling all these adventures and finding all the pictures I took along the way. I wish I took more

Despite how this thread has started out, this car has actually been incredibly reliable for me (once it had a healthy engine in it haha) and I’ve actually never carried a tool with me on a long drive, except for maybe a screwdriver or wrench that I happened to leave on the floor. I’ve never had a breakdown, flat tire or anything on any of my long trips. Don’t ask me how, I’m no mechanical expert but I guess I’ve thrown together a halfway solid car. But the more you drive your car, the more you learn it and get a feel for it’s flaws or what may fail or go wrong. But I’ve always trusted my car, I know it very very well and it’s always treated me well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I suppose I’ll do a little bonus post about all the wheels I’ve tried out for this thing.

I don’t typically have a lot of extra money laying around to throw at this thing, but I am great at finding a deal, so often times I’ll buy an affordable set of wheels (around ~100$) and either flip them or trade them up towards something else.

As mentioned before, my first real wheels on the car were the Audi 14s, but one of my very early inspirations for the car was [mention]MattRad [/mention]with the recycle rabbit. I loved his gold cookie cutters and the fabrication he did to his axles and control arms to get them to fit so nicely in the front, so I grabbed a set of 15x7 locally to try to get them to fit on the car. That was probably 4-5 years ago, i stripped the black paint off them and mocked them up but have never done anything with them since

I also had a set of 3 enkei 92 15x7 4x108 that fit okay in the rear but weren’t going to fit in the front

Then I got a great deal on a set of 15x6.5 5x114.3 bbs rm that I really planned to build for the car. I never had the money to finish them so I sold them to my friend Brian who did well by them and put them on his gti

I also grabbed a set of genuine Vw bbs rm in 15x8 or 9 for a friend, I thought he wanted them for the barrels, but all he wanted was the beat 2” lips and he got rid of the barrels. I would have bought them off him if I had realized. They ended up with my friend Luc and he had them stripped and powder coated and built them to flip but man did they come out nice

Speaking of Luc, he had a really unique set of wheels that I recently bought from him. They’re stock 15” wheels from an imported JDM Nissan Gloria, I always loved them on his last rabbit and he finally offered to sell them to me. The original finish is starting to show some wear so I’m really considering polishing them. They’re flat faced so it should be easy enough

I scored what I think is a really cool set of 13x7 Western “western ways”, a single piece replica of Epsilon Southern Ways. I planned to put them on my lago blue rabbit but who knows

And I’ll leave my current wheels for another post. They’re a really cool wheel with some cool history and deserve to be part of my main thread

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
No time for an update today, we’re packing up the kids for a day at Six Flags!

I wanted to let y’all know tho, I’d you’re enjoying this story, I did an episode of the Monster Rabbit Podcats a few months ago telling the story of my rabbit as well as others, if you’ve got the time it’s worth a listen. Dans had lots of great guests that have told some truly wild stories about their rabbits

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Alright back to business. When we left off I had the car 1.6d swapped, on the Audi 14x6, it felt mechanically solid and good to go.

That should have been mid-late 2018. I drove it a little but not too often, as I had a young son and was spending most of my time with my family.

Over the winter I found a craaazy deal on a 1.6td turbo setup, including the injection pump, that I couldn’t pass up. It was completely aside from the hose that connects the turbo and intake, the oil return line, and the oil pan. So I yanked the 1.6 out in the spring of 2019 to get started converting it to a 1.6td. First I painted the intake manifold with silver engine paint, and threw on a tan g60 cover that I thought would look nice

A couple weeks later I ordered the missing hose from Mk1autohaus, and installed that along with a fresh continental timing belt and the junkyard 1.6td injection pump that I got along with the rest of the parts. I wasn’t sure how to test it so I just installed it and hoped for the best

Here’s where things slowed down. I couldn’t find an oil return line or pan for the life of me. There was none. I searched for months to no avail, and then Covid hit. Everything shut down. I was out of work for a few months and ended up staying with my mother in law for a while to help with the kids. The green car stayed in the garage torn apart all summer. I did use my stimulus checks to order tons of parts for my blue rabbit, but I still couldn’t find what I needed for the green car. Eventually towards Christmas time, partsplace restocked their brand new 1.6td pans, so I ordered one the day they hit the website. Now all I had to find was a return line. I looked high and low and eventually found one in the collection of Walter ****in. He was selling a k14 with a return like still on it, so I offered to buy just the like and he agreed to sell it. Score!

I took a break from car stuff for the winter, I’m also a collector of electric guitars and I focus a lot of buying/selling/trading instruments during winter while it’s too cold to go in the garage. But once it warmed up outside I was ready to get to work. I got the pan and line installed on the block and it was ready to get it in the car. I just hung it by the side mounts, and plumbed it up enough to run. I didn’t have the lower half of the downpipe, so I flipped the upper section upside down to make a ghetto rigged hood dump

The engine cranked over smoothly, but with the injector lines disconnected it was only getting fuel out of 2/4 of the ports on the back of the IP. I connected those two lines and bled them and got it to fire on two injectors. I then connected the other two lines with the injectors cracked and cranked it long enough to build pressure and it magically evened out. Looks like the pump was good! It leaked a little out of the front seal but I wasn’t to worried, it idled and revved nicely and made turbo noises so I was happy. I finished installing the cooling system, axles, wiring and the rest of the small stuff and got it ready for a test drive

I took it out on my street to make sure it was good and run through the gears and man was that turbo fun. It’s just a stock k14 so it doesn’t make a huge difference but I certainly felt it

That night I took the car down the road with some friends to a nearby car wash to get it cleaned up for a show the next day. The show was an hour drive so I figured it was a good shakedown run to test that turbo diesel. It was raining some, so I latched the hood in the front and layed it in place for the drive over so I wouldn’t get rain down my hood stack. That wasn’t such a good idea. I made it 4-5 minutes down the road before flames erupted from under my hood. I pulled off quickly and ripped the hood off. Turns out you shouldn’t lay the under hood insulation directly on a hot open downpipe. You live and you learn I suppose haha

Otherwise tho the car felt great. I took it to the show the following morning without hesitation. It made the hour drive fine, aside from dying a few times at red lights towards the end of the drive, which I chocked up to bad fuel. Once I filled the tank again it resolved itself and hasn’t done it since

This is essentially how the car sits now, it’s been incredible for me. I got the car with 87k, turbod it at 93k and I’ve got to be up over 100k now without any mechanical or engine related issue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The other major update to the car you may have noticed is the wheels. While the car was up on jack stands in the garage, I found the perfect forever set of wheels

I was at my friend Fred’s house dropping off parts or looking at a car or something. Fred is a tuner for United Motorsports and has a really cool collection of cars. He has a barn full of really cool rabbits, I bought my blue rabbit from him actually. He had Evan88vws green rabbit, he has a 24v Miami blue swallowtail, he’s got a cool 930 turbo, lots of cool stuff. I was in his barn digging around for something when I stumbled on his pile of wheels. He had a set of 16x7 Borbet type As he was showing me, and next to them were a set of wheels I recognized in an instant

Some of you may remember Joe @scrape_somethin from back in the day, he was known for his red round headlight rabbit that he had for years, it had an r32 swap and eventually an r36 swap and a berg cup kit, and was raffled off a few years ago once he moved on from Volkswagens to Chevrolets

I remember seeing videos of this thing ripping crazy burnouts on Ocean Ave at h2o 2016 shortly after getting my rabbit and I thought it was wild. At the time Joe also had a bagged tan rabbit pickup that was spotless. I remember it having an alh swap and then I think he stuck the old r32 from the red rabbit into the pickup. When I saw the pickup it was sitting on the most gorgeous set of polished fifteen52 formula 2pc wheels. I thought they were so cool, I was really into formulas but had never seen a 2pc set. He had originally ordered them for his red car, but they ended up on his pickup when he stuck BBS Motorsport wheels on the red car.

And I found these wheels, 5 years later, sitting in a pile in my friends barn. Joes a local guy, he lives right in between fred and I, so I knew these had to be the same wheels. Fred confirmed, he knew Joe and knew the history of these wheels. He picked them up for a song but wasn’t really in love with them. But I was

The specs are 16x7 et29 in the front, and 16x8 et30 in the rear. I wasn’t too good at picturing that fitment in my head, but I knew joes red rabbit had worked arches and the truck was on air, so it was likely that these would be a bit aggressive on a stock body rabbit. I wasn’t worried too much tho, I could deal with a little poke. I had to have them. So Fred and I struck up a deal and I sold 6 or 7 sets of cheap wheels to buy my perfect set

I picked the wheels up a few weeks later and was so excited to have them home. I layed them out in the yard and cleaned them up and just stared at them. I couldn’t believe I owned something so nice. I still hadn’t tried them out on the car

They weren’t perfect, one has a bend repair that’s very visible, there’s small dings and small bends around the outside of all of them, and they’re in dire need of a real polish, but man do I love them. I rolled the car outside to mock them up and see if there was any chance of them fitting. I was nervous as hell to say the least. I had just dropped a real decent amount of cash on a set of wheels that may not fit at all

But they fit perfect! And they looked GOOD. I was in love all over again. I’ve always been really happy with how my car looked, but these wheels made it a whole new car. I was inspired all over again. The car had no engine in it, this was during the time I was trying to find an oil pan and return line, but I’d go out in the garage and just look at it, still awestruck that it looked so good. During that time I also made a deal for an NOS roof rack from my friend David, I think it’s on his car in my first post

It would have been nice to have that when I used to haul all sorts of stuff home on my roof

I’ve since rolled my fenders a bit and lowered the car a bit to get it sitting better, but I think I’d like to roll the fenders flat and lower it some more to get it fender on lip or close to it

The back is still a little high because I go to out of state shows with my trunk full of camping gear so I need to compensate for the weight in the trunk and try not to totally run through my tires

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Man, Joe's truck with the TDI swap blew me away back when he did it. He spent forever body working the bed to get it flawless too.
It was certainly gorgeous. I only got to see it for a few minutes at the end of New England Dustoff in 2016 or 17. He did incredible work on his vws and his current nova is amazing

·
Registered
980 Posts
I did go to wolfsgart one year.

i think the thing that typically stood out about my ratty cabby was the mint black interior.

the year i went i remember there was a guy who used to be a probmx rider had a red polo he restored in the hanger with all the classier cars. I went with brian from dutchpartsco. He had his blue gti in the hanger too.

When i get back home i could tell you the year as I got one of those vw dogtags from the vw tent.

my fave of the shows was volksbahn in NH at the castle in the clouds. Such a picturesque landscape :)

John Ludwick is the dude you are referring to. He's had a number of unique cars, including a red Derby.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Sorry I haven’t updated in a few days, I’ve been digging through some other threads and absorbing the knowledge of the vortex ancients haha

So now that my car was converted to a turbo diesel and looking good, I was ready to really test its paces. It was time to embark on the 4.5hr drive to my first Mk1madness

I’d taken the car to the Terryville Bugafair, which is about an hour drive, and commuted it to work for a few weeks which is an hour one way. It had always done great, stayed cool, run down the road straight and smooth. So I felt confident driving it to Pennsylvania.

I got a little cruise together. My friend Winfred brought his Westfalia, my friend Joe brought his om606 swapped Mercedes 560SL, my friend Griffin brought his OG rabbit pickup and my friend terry drove his 12v swapped rabbit truck. We met at my house in the morning and headed for PA around 9

The cruise went great for the first half. Right about the south end of NYC Griffin and I got split up from the rest. We weren’t worried tho, our diesels were doing great and we were having a good time so we told the rest of the group to keep going and we’d see them when we got there. We drove another couple hours sorry free, until stopping for fuel on the far side of New Jersey.

Once I shut my car off I noticed my fan wasn’t running. That was bad because my fan was wired straight to the battery and should always be on. I popped the hood and noticed the plug had popped out of the bag of the fan. Okay, no big deal, I’ll just plug it back in.

Boy was it unhappy. It was shaking, rattling, grinding, making all sorts of bad noises. The bearing had let go from 5 years of running on full every time the car was running. I was worried to say the least. I had just installed a deluxe cluster so I did have a temperature gauge, and it had a cooler thermostat in it so it was doing alright but I wasn’t sure how long it would last. I called Clint from a rest stop and he made sure someone would have a rad fan for me when I got to madness. I was about an hour and a half away.

Griffin and I pushed on. The rad fan was making all sorts of noise but it was staying cool as far as I knew. We crossed into PA and ripped down 276 at 70, excited to get to the campground. About 45 minutes away, my fan finally gave out. I had nothing. I figured it got enough air through the rad at highway speeds that it would be okay.

As I pulled off the highway, conveniently, my cluster died. I had nothing. No temp gauge. Now I was worried. No fan, no idea how hot the engine was, and it was all backroads from there. I decided to just push on and try to keep my speed up to get some wind though the rad.

I pulled into the campground, down to the back lot and shut the car off. I found my people, and the excitement outweighed the worry of overheating. I got out, sweaty and tired from the long drive, and hugged all my friends who I hadn’t seen in many months. I made it. I was finally there.

As I started getting settled in, the leaves behind my tent startled to rustle. I turned around to see Cory Lape walking out of the woods, fan shroud in hand. He had driven back to his house to grab me his best working radiator fan and shroud, and he loaned me the tools to swap it out right there at my site. Thankfully my car hadn’t gotten too hot and the fan worked great so my car was alright. Relieved, I went on a walk around the campground to see all my friends

I didn’t get too many pictures while I was there, I went and said a quick hi to everyone but I had my 3 year old with me and I had to get camp set up and keep him occupied. There’s not a ton for a toddler to do at a car show like this haha. The following morning we joined in on the Boehringers Drive In cruise. We left well after the rest of the cars, so we parked up on top of the hill in the parking lot while most of the other cars were in the field down below

L-R is myself, Clint in the aba swapped MG 80 pickup that he front clipped, Clints girlfriend Jess in her aba swapped 77 Panama Brown 2dr, and their friends Nick and Hailey in the professor’s rabbit, a 1.5d 1980 deluxe 4dr

I didn’t get hardly any pictures at Boehringers, but I’ll share my pictures from the main show in my next post

21 - 40 of 57 Posts