VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DEAD Mouse in Ventilation system ???

Hello Everyone
I've been a regular reader of this forum, but i've yet to post anything till now. I brought my Treg in today for a terrible smell in my car when i turn on my AC, it smell like cow dung literally. I checked everywhere for food or any other stuff, i could not find anything. I must say i keep my treg pretty clean. My car has a history of AC Problems
to cut the story short, I drop off my car for a couple of hours and I got a call from my service adviser he told me that i got dead mouse in my ventilations system, and i would cost me $4000 to $5000 to redo the whole system
How in the world could a mouse get in my ventilation system. Please help
any advice would be appriciated.
I pop up the hood to see if there is any holes or anything that allows them to get in there, but i could not see anything that allow for such a thing to get in there.

Chris

Modified by Tbone714 at 9:33 PM 5-18-2004

Modified by Tbone714 at 2:27 AM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: DEAD Mouse in Ventilation system ??? (Tbone714)

Have the remains checked if it's local....then you probably need to cough up the costs! If it's a mouse species local to Bratislava, Slovakia...then VW should pay!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: DEAD Mouse in Ventilation system ??? (MrTsDad)

They did not actually see the mouse. All they saw was some tears around the insulation of the engine compartment and some fluid thats look like mouse pee. For that reason they refuse to to work on the car until I got that prolem fixed. Is this a joke or what?? I always get these source of stuff when i bring my Treg to Mckenna VW. They always try to refuse to fix my Treg. But when I brought it to Common Wealth VW they always find the problems and fixed them.
Is the a way the mouse could get in there????
I dont see how???

·
Registered
47,324 Posts

You would be surprised at just how small a hole a mouse can fit through - and how they can chew through many different things. We get them in the attic of our house occasionally and when they smell, it goes right through the plastic vapor barrier and the sheetrock.
Check with your insurance company. Our neighbor recently had a problem with a rodent chewing up the insulation on her wiring causing all sorts of electrical damage. Her insurance company covered the damage.
PS: Get yourself a good cat too.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts

tbone714,
That's outrageous!!
Take it to Commonwealth and explain how unhappy you are with the treatment over at Mckenna. Btw, I've heard nothing but bad stuff about McKenna, not just VW but their entire operation. That's one reason why I did not purchase from them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: DEAD Mouse in Ventilation system ??? (TCinOC)

I dont blame you TCinOC. They think they know everything, but they can't fix nothing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I dont blame you TCinOC. They think they know everything, but they can't fix nothing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: DEAD Mouse in Ventilation system ??? (spockcat)

Hey Spockcat,
What am i going to do about this situation? if they did actually saw the mouse. How am i going to explain it to the insurance company??

Thanks.

·
Registered
47,324 Posts

What is to explain. If there is obvious mouse damage then no explanation is necessary. Get the insurance company on the case and they will figure it out. Most likely they will find a dealer that would be willing to do the job for you.

·
Registered
158 Posts

This happened to me in my previous 2001 4Runner. I turned the AC on one day to here a loud thumping sound. The fan actually ripped the rat in two. The smell was unreal. It took 4 months just to moderately neutralize the smell however the vehicle never smelled normal again.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts

Quote, originally posted by spockcat »

LOL! A true deterrent!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Could it be anything other then a mouse that is dead in there?
I've noticed that after i used the AC for a while when i turn off the engine I can see the water is draining out of the car at a pretty fast rate , but recently I've noticed the ac system is not draining as much anymore maybe 1/10 of what it used to be.
After all they already charge and recharge my ac system for 3 times since a bought my car last september.

·
Registered
119 Posts

are you sure that isnt blood & mouse guts draining out of the A/C ?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts

What is to explain. If there is obvious mouse damage then no explanation is necessary. Get the insurance company on the case and they will figure it out. Most likely they will find a dealer that would be willing to do the job for you.

It's certainly not going to be the one he has dealt with..McKenna. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
213 Posts

I hate to be a bearer of bad news - but in the interest of "the truth will set you free" - - -
I had a mouse in the A/C of an expensive infiniti. Discovered it late Friday and had parked at the airport for a few days. Smell was so bad, I couldn't even drive home. Had to rip the entire dash off (with tools on swiss army knife) to find the problem. Drove home with windows down and had to pay the dealer to fix the A/C as well as the damage I had done ripping into the dash.
Recent wildfires in my area caused a bit of a rodent infestation next to where the fires burned. I had rodent damage (eaten wires, pee, pooh, etc.) to two of my cars that I had to leave out of the garage for a few days. Cost me over $2000. Car insurance usually has exclusions for rodent damage. When I took my Audi in to get it fixed, the dealer said a guy had been in the day before with a BMW that ran fine and looked fine and had a "little" rodent damage. But by the time they added up the cost to take everything apart and fix it, they had to end up totalling the car.
Moral of the story - keep far away from rodents, use ultrasonic devices, use poison and bait, use cats - whatever it takes - because if they ever get near an expensive car you are likely hosed!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: DEAD Mouse in Ventilation system ??? (tedpark)

ok here is the scoop,
I called my insurance company and explained what happened. They agree to pay for the repair cost.

thanks everyone for you valuable inputs
keep up the good work!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,555 Posts

How the hell is a cat going to get in there to get the mouse?

Glad to hear that the insurance company will step up to the plate on this Tbone. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
390 Posts

You would be surprised at just how small a hole a mouse can fit through

My friend is an exterminator and he says that anywhere you can fit the head of a pencil, a rat can also fit. Apparently, they can collapse their bodies to squeeze through tight spots.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts