VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need some tech info needed...HELP! ! ! ..PLZZ

hey hi ...just wanted to know if a car with auto tranny be converted into a MANUAL ..if a new tranny is sourced with out changing the engine ..if changes have to be made ..what might they cost ...
thanks for all ur help..(in advance ! !)

·
Registered
15,099 Posts
Re: need some tech info needed...HELP! ! ! ..PLZZ (prv10)

Ouch! Better just buy a manual shell and transfer everything over. Try the A2 Tech forum, you are going to get locked out here. Dub-On!

·
Registered
2,125 Posts

I'd say got for it. It's not that difficult.
You need:
Tranny with matching axles
Clutch kit
Flywheel
Starter
Throttle Body
Pedal cluster
Shift linkage
and I think that is all. My friend did the swap. I think it cost him like 600$ for everything. He bought the tranny, throttle body, pedal cluster, flywheel, and shift linkage used. It's really not that hard. Especially if you already have the motor out. IM if you have any questions. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by '91GTI8V, 3:26 PM 1-27-2003]

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Re: need some tech info needed...HELP! ! ! ..PLZZ ('91GTI8V)

The pedal cluster swap is harder than you think.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts

you dont need the pedal cluster. all u need is the pin that holds the clutch and the brake. i have done it to my car so i have experience. i think that the arder part is to drill the holes for the clutch cable. the swap took me about 12 hours because i had to take apart one car and transfer to another. the only mistake i made was to keep the turbo diesel flywheel and clutch bcause now that i have about 220-230hp i cant used them because my clutch is slipping. it might be cheaper to just buy a parts car for about $200-300 and swap everything. just remember, u dont need the pedals cluster, all u need is the longer pin that holds the brake and clutch, clutch pedal and brake pedal. good luck
also u dont need another thottle body if u dont have the $. u can use the same one and just mod it. i have pics of mine if u need them

[Modified by jetta8vwolfsburg, 2:46 PM 1-27-2003]

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Re: need some tech info needed...HELP! ! ! ..PLZZ (jetta8vwolfsburg)

quote:[HR][/HR]you dont need the pedal cluster. all u need is the pin that holds the clutch and the brake. i have done it to my car so i have experience. i think that the arder part is to drill the holes for the clutch cable.
also u dont need another thottle body if u dont have the $. u can use the same one and just mod it. i have pics of mine if u need them
[Modified by jetta8vwolfsburg, 2:46 PM 1-27-2003][HR][/HR]​
I guess you an do it like he did.....If you want it done bass akwards. A throttle body at the junkyard is cheap and so is the pedal cluster. Just spend the money and do it the right way. And as far as drilling a hole for clutch cable...

Every car is made the same, therefore your car and every other Automatic should have the hole for the cable already there. You should be worried if your car didn't have the hole there already.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts