VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so maybe i didnt move to Germany just to do a build thread, but when i heard that i got orders to Germany, i told myself i wouldnt leave without finding a eurospec mk1 golf. Two years and a deployment later, i got lucky. My buddy was due to return back to the states and had a mk1, but he didnt have enough time to get it running, thus he couldnt ship it, so i gladly took over ownership and began the cleanup and build up.

This car has a bit of history to it, that it has passed thru a couple military hands in the past 5-10 years. One of the biggest things done was an ABF motor and 020 tranny was dropped in. I've been told this car ran with the swap, but im still going to crack the head open and check for any problems.

I know one of the previous owners quite well and he said the guy he sold it to just f'd up the car left and right. One of the things he did was cut the rain tray out, but at least managed to leave the VIN sitting in the front seat. He did some ****ty bondo work and painted over the driver front fender that was rusted thru... needless to say when that fender came off, it folded like a taco.

Now my buddy that i bought it off of started taking good care of it, but like i said he just didnt have the time. So here we go, pics for clicks:

How i got her

Engine shot with manifold for carbs

Made in West Germany

New dash fitted

mk3 leather seats over mk2 seat buckets.

rain tray that was cut out. thats the only bit of rust i have on the entire car.

Various other pieces ive gathered to include some junkyard specials

Bad fender gone!

New fender on!

There's actually a short story to that fender. Spent the day junkyard crawling and found a pretty rusted out cabby. That fender was the only piece that wasnt rusted out... so took it off and went to pay. The guy at the counter spoke almost no english and wanted 25euro. I asked him if he took cards, he said yeah, but then asked if i had USD which i did, and he said $15. Quickly gave him a $20 he handed me back 5euro, asked if that was ok. I said yup! and quickly walked out. He obviously screwed up on his exchange rate math.

i know the offset looks rediculous. Those rims were only put on so the car could be towed to a place i can slowly build it up. I have roughly 18mo left here and in that time i hope to have it virtually restored.

Currently on the way are:

Dual Weber 45mm DCOE
Cable linkage
Jet kit
new black carpet interior
new door cards

I hope to have the car running in the next 2-3 weeks before it begins to snow.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man!

I'm in the perfect place to find period specific parts, not to mention a lot of Germans in the tuning scene stick to their roots of the mk1 & mk2. I'm lucky to have a bunch of German friends who are great at fab work, welding and painting. I hope to have this car nearly restored by the time I move back stateside.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't wait to hear that this little monstrosity is up and going :thumbup:
Got your PM just now... once everything is here the b!tch should be running!

You think you could find me a hecka rabbit or gti?
No doubt, i can find just about any thing out here. US likes euro style, and Europe likes US-spec style. I plan on shipping a container back with a plethra of parts/hatches & maybe a car or two.

PM me what exactly you want and ill see if i can make it happen

·
Registered
655 Posts
Nice car. I remember back in 1997 when I was over in Germany on a student exchange during my undergrad there were lots of those cars still being driven. I took pics with a disposable camera I had of all of the really old ones I found. I found a white two door swallowtail with the tiny metal euro-bumpers right near to one of the campus bars I used to frequent, a four door diesel that looked like a 77 or a 76 and a bunch of other old VWs, some just sitting on the side of the street rusting away. I found a "buy and sell" newspaper where I lived (Freiburg im Breisgau) that had a section where people were giving away old cars (labelled "Zu Verschenken") and found a number of old MK1 Golfs from the late 70's being given away along with a lot of Beetles. I was told by a German classmate that because most people in Freiburg rented their homes and had a single parking space, when their car could no longer pass the "TUV" inspection that cars need to do every year, if it was a really old car they would just try to give it to someone so that they could get a new car and have a place to park it. I guess now those old cars would be worth something if they still existed.

Anyway a bit of nostalgia from me, good luck with that build, looking forward to hearing if you are able to find a radio for my 1980.

Chris

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Banned
10,602 Posts
Got your PM just now... once everything is here the b!tch should be running!

No doubt, i can find just about any thing out here. US likes euro style, and Europe likes US-spec style. I plan on shipping a container back with a plethra of parts/hatches & maybe a car or two.

PM me what exactly you want and ill see if i can make it happen
well ill take some small tails and a hecka.. im serious. ive got cash, pm me;););)

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From a sudden halt to operation to back in gear.... Found a 3 bay garage equipped with a lift, air compressor, plasma torch, welder AND they are letting me build a paint booth all for 110€/mo.

Moving the car there in a couple weeks to get her all settled in before it snows. I think this just might be completely done by worthersee 2012! :D

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Figured I'd pop in and contribute a little more history on this car. :)

I bought this car back in 2008 out of the strip-lot behind the Grafenwohr craft shop: (as you can see, the bondo was there when I got it)

Threw a 1.6 TurboDiesel in it at the craft shop:

(THAT is a freakin' radiator, covered almost the entire front opening)

Threw some rubber on it, and dragged it up the hill to my house.

Complete CE2 wiring swap from the donor car:

Threw some other stuff into it:

Spent an entire weekend polishing it:

Got it running & driving

Threw some plates on it, and took it for a drive, then this happened (lifter seized):

Ran out of time, cuz I was in the process of being med-boarded out, so I sold it to a buddy in Graf, who sold it to another guy in K-Town, who sold it to you. :laugh:

I can't wait to see how she turns out, I know you'll do good by her. :)

(PS I may still have the center caps to those 5-spoke Ronal wheels if you want to keep them, if not, can I have them back? lol)

1 - 20 of 74 Posts