VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bringing the 337 to Oahu and the Wifes 2001 A4 1.8t Q with me (and the wife
) Any sugestions? How much is gas? Where to live...where not to live? any help is much apreciated, I know it sucks to get parts through the mail and I already found out about the RECON thing. Any Dub Clubs? Cruises and all that good ish?

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Re: Moving to Oahu...any advise? ((RDC)eddie)

I wanted to bump this since I will also be moving out to Oahu soon. Any information on what its like would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10,737 Posts

Quote, originally posted by (RDC)eddie »
I have one guy who has been PM-ing me back and forth but seem to have gotten the cold shoulder on this one so far.

We frequently get threads like this, much like the "what is there to do while in Hawaii" thread. There should be a couple threads archived about what to expect moving here.
Gas is some of the most expensive in the country. As for your other questions, there are a few clubs to check out, and they usually post up in the hawaii forum. As for where you want to live, do you prefer town living? Rental classifieds are available on-line for a preview of what you are in for.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Moving to Oahu...any advise? (wagenbob)

Quote, originally posted by wagenbob »

We frequently get threads like this, much like the "what is there to do while in Hawaii" thread. There should be a couple threads archived about what to expect moving here.
Gas is some of the most expensive in the country. As for your other questions, there are a few clubs to check out, and they usually post up in the hawaii forum. As for where you want to live, do you prefer town living? Rental classifieds are available on-line for a preview of what you are in for.

Thanks for the help, I dont mean to be the guy you have to tell to "do a search" I just had some questions I could not find the answers to ofter using the search function. As for where I want to live I dont really care where jsut looking fora reasonable price and a decent neiborhood, on the windward side.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts

gas prices are pretty high here...cost of living is also a killer here...i would not suggest living in waikiki/honolulu if you have a heavily modded car.....that's just asking for a ticket....most of the people here do not even attempt to take their cars into waikiki (especially at night)
we have frequent GTG's....the scene may not be as big as so-cal but we try to make it enjoyable.
good cell phone providers (t-mobile, nextel, verizon, cingular wireless)
everything is at most a 30minute drive away

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Re: Moving to Oahu...any advise? (ReK[N]-EyeZ-)

the GTG's are your best bet for meeting folks and then decide which one of the 2 clubs....
or start your own....LOL
Welcome all the same though! The weather is awesome here, and so are the people. Not to mention you can't beat a plate lunch!!!
~ J

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Moving to Oahu...any advise? (cosmic_beetle)

any 337s on the scene? can some one give me a average price on 91 octane? Or maybe te last price they paid in gas? I just paid 2.49 for 91 in california, how does that compare? I already found out my insurance is going to cost half the price it does in San diego! Wooo Hooo! anyone live in the kaneohe bay area?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts

COSTCO is about the best thing going (better than on the military post...) I am paying 2.65 a gallon for 92 on post. I think Costco is about .04-.05 below that.
~ J

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Moving to Oahu...any advise? (cosmic_beetle)

Quote, originally posted by cosmic_beetle »
COSTCO is about the best thing going (better than on the military post...) I am paying 2.65 a gallon for 92 on post. I think Costco is about .04-.05 below that.
~ J

thanks! Anyone live near K-bay?

·
Registered
10,737 Posts

Quote, originally posted by (RDC)eddie »
Thanks for the help, I dont mean to be the guy you have to tell to "do a search" I just had some questions I could not find the answers to ofter using the search function. As for where I want to live I dont really care where jsut looking fora reasonable price and a decent neiborhood, on the windward side.

I hope you didn't take my response as a "use the search" retort. We just have a lot of these threads. By all means, ask specific questions and we will shoot you answers. Good choice on the windward side, but you may want to consider splitting a house with someone... rent is pretty expensive these days. I rent a box for $750 in Waimanalo. I can only describe it as "rustic." Houses rent for $1500-$2300 in Kailua, and probably not much cheaper in Kaneohe.

·
Registered
10,737 Posts

He (BrodieDub) sent it to me by mistake. I'll cut and forward it to you.

Modified by wagenbob at 10:35 PM 6-26-2005

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Re: Moving to Oahu...any advise? (BrodieDub)

I live in Kaneohe and its also my hometown. Ask away. Rents here are about the same as Kailua, with 2 bed apartments around 12-1700. Not sure what type u are lookin for, but I can keep my ear out. I know someone lookin to rent someplace, so if you guys are lookin to share I can hook you up with him to see if that would work for ya.
Also, the Windward side has less traffic than does the Leeward side. So if ur travelling into town for work, then it would help.
I drive to Pearl City for work 4 days a week (about 15 miles) and all over the island. So I spend about $300 a month in gas. I don't get the best mileage tho and boost is addictive!
Bring that 337 down. There are a couple here modded that I've seen. A few tuned by Tai-VW. That is the best shop for performance here and gets my vote for sure for any repair job. He doesnt do much visual mods, so if you want body kit type stuff then check out Volxgerman.
By the way, when are you expecting to be here? Start looking for a place early because anything nice goes really fast. REALLY FAST. Otherwise its either too expensive or not nice enough. There are some places that you dont want to live having two nice cars like that, but thats the same in any city area. Also, before you leave get letter from previous renters to show that you are good renters. It speeds up the process, and thats what can matter.
Its hard to say where not to live. Pretty much any town here has good places and bad. Better that you find a place ur interested in and then ask about it and we can all tell you then. Also, and not to start anything racial here, but if you are white then there are a couple places on the island you don't want to live. Its just a fact. But Windward side is not bad at all. I'm white and I grew up here.

Modified by ranzuo at 11:08 AM 6-27-2005

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Moving to Oahu...any advise? (ranzuo)

thanks for the help ranzuo. I will be there in the begining of Oct. so I guess I need to start looking for a place now. I might be looking to rent a house if it is possible, but splitting with someone sounds cool for a while when I get there.
All you guys have been a huge help and i cant wait to get on the scene there.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Moving to Oahu...any advise? (wagenbob)

Quote, originally posted by wagenbob »

I hope you didn't take my response as a "use the search" retort. We just have a lot of these threads. By all means, ask specific questions and we will shoot you answers. Good choice on the windward side, but you may want to consider splitting a house with someone... rent is pretty expensive these days. I rent a box for $750 in Waimanalo. I can only describe it as "rustic." Houses rent for $1500-$2300 in Kailua, and probably not much cheaper in Kaneohe.

I understand you get alot of these bob, thanks for helping me out still.
"rustic"...nice

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Re: Moving to Oahu...any advise? (ranzuo)

Ive been talking to RDC a bit too--I am moving there in Jan. Are there any A1's out there. I always hear the Air Cooled scene is good as well. I have a few of thos too. Not sure what i am going to bring. One think I know is I am selling my V-8 monster before I come there. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.