VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have heard on here somewhere....(tried to search couldn't find it).... that there is a dealer programming fix to correct the discrepancy of calculated MPG versus MPG displayed on the MFD. Can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Re: MPG Display Fix (dbrady)

Here's the thread at tdiclub.com where most of the discussion on the issue was done: http://forums.tdiclub.com/show...&vc=1
The word is that new 06s are comming through with the fix (don't know what it is definitively) but dealers are not doing anything to 05.5s yet because VW hasn't issued a TSB.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: MPG Display Fix (E36BMW)

Quote, originally posted by E36BMW »
Here's the thread at tdiclub.com where most of the discussion on the issue was done

Thanks! Hope this helps everyone!!!

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
I added this thread to the FAQ. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts
Re: MPG Display Fix (dbrady)

It's easy:
Adjusting MPG in the MFA(display)
If you think your reported MPG are off in the display, it probably is. Pen and paper work the best to see how far off you are. Find out how many percent you are off, and you can adjust what you see in the MFA display
17 Instruments
10 Adaptation
write down your values here:
Channel 03 is the instant reported MPG
Channel 10 is the average MPG
If you have 100 in there, and you know it's reading low by 3%, then change the value to 103. Each increment is 1%. It's that easy.

I have it on the ecu recode page (siggy link).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: MPG Display Fix (E36BMW)

The speedometer discrepancy exists to cover the manufacturer for legal reasons. It has been an automotive fact of life probably for decades now. Here's why:
Manufacturers never want to be (rightly) accused of causing someone's speeding ticket as a result of a faulty speedometer. An accident attributed to excessive speed is an even larger problem for them.
The solution is to have the speedometer read slightly fast, while at the same time having the odometer read spot on. Has to be this way for warranty purposes.
This is also why Tirerack resists selling you any tire / wheel combination that is more than three percent out of original spec in terms of revolutions per mile.
For these reasons, this "flaw" will never be "fixed".
I'd post this to the TDI club, but I don't have a login there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: MPG Display Fix (classicjetta)

{quote=dbrady]Have heard on here somewhere....(tried to search couldn't find it).... that there is a dealer programming fix to correct the discrepancy of calculated MPG versus MPG displayed on the MFD. Can anyone help me out?[/dbrady]It seemed quite relevant to the original post, since many of the same inputs for MPG also determine MPH (distance, time, speed ...)
However:
http://deviantspeed.com/jetta-...g-com
Was a very interesting read. What I don't know after reading this is whether changing the MPG affects anything else. I'd also be interested in knowing how the "winter tires" setting relates to any other readouts.
After thinking about it a bit, I can see why the manufacturer might want to under report miles per gallon via the trip computer. If you caused someone to run out of gas too soon because of a wrong computation, then you'd expose yourself to legal liability issues.
Better to have someone thinking they should get gas a little too soon rather than a little to late.
Things keep changing with cars. If you're misinformed and admit it, then you're only ignorant for a day. Dig your heels in over pride and you're stupid for the rest of your life ...

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
Re: MPG Display Fix (pcdude)

Quote, originally posted by pcdude »
Would you know how someone can activate this display in a TDI not equipped with it from the factory?
THanks

you cant.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.