VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Though my car loves the roads and weather here in LA, it's not happy with the gas. On the hwy I get about 26/27 mpg, about 2 miles less than I got in NYC. But, in the city, (if that's what it's called here), mpg like 10-12 mpg, and I don't have many stop signs or lights. Even the trip display shows only 260 miles till empty after a fill-up. In NYC, always showed a little over 300.
And the other day, fill-up was $2.65.9 for premium. I think it's only 91 oct, wasn't it 93 on the east coast?
PS A neighbor told me a lot of pumps cheat you. Is this possible?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I dont fully know for a fact, but i do remember reading somewhere that gas on the west coast has more additives, causeing more fuel to burn at a higher rate, but not totally sure.
And yeah gas on the east coast is 93 octane, 97 at someplaces, but still were at 2.26 for 93.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Re: MPG ?'s....And what's with the gas in LA?? (car_nut)

yeah...gas on the west coast sucks....the highest you can get is 91......and you don't get nearly the milage you do with gas from other parts of the country.....

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: MPG ?'s....And what's with the gas in LA?? (clklop1)

Quote, originally posted by clklop1 »
yeah...gas on the west coast sucks....the highest you can get is 91......and you don't get nearly the milage you do with gas from other parts of the country.....

Why is this? It's not as if we didn't use enough of it. Why not the higher oct ? If I hadn't had east coast gas for 2 years I wouldn't know any better. The positive here is that I never circle for hours looking for parking spots and everything else is cheaper here.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Re: MPG ?'s....And what's with the gas in LA?? (car_nut)

well live in paradise! premium 92 oct. here on maui is 2.75 the hightest in the state and probably the nation besides alaska......regular is 2.50.....
call us the oil companie's "bend over island".....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts