VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the transmission can only take 258lb/ft and the chip takes it to around 250lb/ft. So would the addition of an exhaust, downpipes etc, be taken into consideration or since its exhaust it doesn't effect the transmission? I don't know if that makes sense...

·
Registered
575 Posts
Re: MQ350 Transmission... what mods can it take? (BoulderGTi337)

actually i beleive the tranny can take up to 350 lb/ft of torque that is why it is the MQ350, i think, and that is wheel horsepower abd the chip doesn't put you close to that at the wheels you might get 225 lb/ft after chipping

·
Registered
4,360 Posts

the MQ350 transmission is rated to 350 N-m of torque, this is 258 lb-ft
APR is quoted at 247 lb-ft for the 93 octane program. add an intake and downpipe and you will be pushing the envelope.
Stage 3 is WAY over the top. new exhaust, clutch, flywheel, and LSD are definitely needed.

[Modified by strider5, 8:26 PM 8-7-2002]

·
Registered
398 Posts
Re: MQ350 Transmission... what mods can it take? (strider5)

Folks,
Please ensure that for the benefit of your audience, to please quote correct verifiable information. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
The 337's Gearbox, MQ350 will not be able to handle more than 258lb/ft of torque.
"M stands for manual, Q for transverse installation and 350 for the maximum transferable torque of 350 Newton meters or 258 lb./ft of torque. The MQ350 is a particularly flexible two-shaft gearbox."

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Re: MQ350 Transmission... what mods can it take? (se)

i think he meant to type 258, not 358.
will upgrading flywheel, clutch, and lsd be enuf? anyone have numbers on how much of a cushion these mods give us?

[Modified by genxguy, 5:51 PM 8-7-2002]

·
Registered
398 Posts
Re: MQ350 Transmission... what mods can it take? (genxguy)

No problem GenX!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif How is your car running?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Re: MQ350 Transmission... what mods can it take? (se)

quote:[HR][/HR]No problem GenX!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif How is your car running?[HR][/HR]​
running fine. just installed injen and short shifter, ss really made a diff on this tranny. not getting any kind of grinding that ppl seem to have, except when i try to shift too fast..
friction point seems to be a bit lower than in my prev car, probably why i'm not perfect on the shifting yet.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Re: MQ350 Transmission... what mods can it take? (genxguy)

don't want to sound like an over optimist or anything, but I firmly believe that the MQ350 tranny will take something like Stg 3 by itself, assuming its not abused or people try 5k dumps or anything. what are other vw tranny's rated at? I can't believe their newest best tranny in a long time is weaker than their old ones which CAN hold a bunch of power..

·
Registered
11,466 Posts

Consider this: lots of people are running mad power thru the cheesy 5-speed 02J box in the present non-337, non-24v VR6 GTIs and Jettas, and most of them aren't blowing up. The MQ350 is spec'd to handle considerably more torque (anyone have the factory rated max for the 02J?) so in theory, putting out power somewhere around/slightly beyond the factory spec should be fine. Also your driving habits will have a LOT to do with whether it holds up or not, mad power or not - if you're doing 5k clutch drops at every light on your commute every day, you're probably in trouble. If you launch reasonably then blast thru the gears, you're probably A-OK.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Re: MQ350 Transmission... what mods can it take? (KevinC)

Well, VW does usually underrate their equip by 50% or so, just to be safe.
Usually, you can get twice what VW tells you is the limit out of it before it is ready to fail. Depending on driving of course, no 5k clutch drops or anything...

·
Administrator
87,848 Posts
Re: MQ350 Transmission... what mods can it take? (KevinC)

quote:[HR][/HR]Consider this: lots of people are running mad power thru the cheesy 5-speed 02J box in the present non-337, non-24v VR6 GTIs and Jettas, and most of them aren't blowing up[HR][/HR]​
Yea, in my CHEESY O2J I worry about TFS which has been a problem with many of us that take our CHEESY trannies to the track.
I really, really, really, really wish I had an MQ350 NON-CHEESY gearbox. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
But I'll tell you what, I'm just happy as hell with it. All VW's will always be notchy shifters...I've driven the MQ350 tranny and it isn't night and day (IMO) to the O2J (maybe in build quality but not in feel).
So, with a bit of sarcasm I do agree with whoever said VW underrates their gearboxes to be on the safe side. I've heard that too.
Later,

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Re: MQ350 Transmission... what mods can it take? (new 337)

quote:[HR][/HR]Well, VW does usually underrate their equip by 50% or so, just to be safe.
Usually, you can get twice what VW tells you is the limit out of it before it is ready to fail. Depending on driving of course, no 5k clutch drops or anything...[HR][/HR]​
..based on what FACT?? QUIT TALKING !!!!!!!!!!!
calm down... have some dip.

[Modified by Mhyrr, 10:42 AM 8-8-2002]

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Re: MQ350 Transmission... what mods can it take? (UncleBens)

The MQ350/02M350 transmission is rated to handle up to 350 newton meters or 258 lbs-ft. of torque.
The 02J250 transmission is rated to handle up to 250 newton meters or 184 lbs-ft. of torque.
They are NOT guaranteed to handle 50% more anything of the sort. I'm sure there is some slop factor in there, but it is not a hard and fast percentage. Obviously lots of people with the regular 02J 5-speed are putting a LOT more torque through their transmissions and doing alright. The first thing by design to go is the clutch which is happening to 02J owners after about 10-20k of heavily modded miles. If you significantly upgrade the clutch, the next weakest link is either spider gears or CV joints.
So the MQ350 is capable of handling quite a bit more torque than the 02J, I wouldn't worry too much about a chip and exhaust mod in my opinion.
-jamie

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Re: MQ350 Transmission... what mods can it take? (UncleBens)

Hey, who needs to calm down, you the one throwing the exclamation marks.
Honestly, is there anyone pushing more than what the manufacturer says is the limit? Of course. Should they change the limit? No, it is there safe out.
VW way underrates thier equipment, why else can a 150hp 1.8t SAFELY handle much more, as far as the internals go? It is thier safety outlet.
BTW, I dont have facts. Dont need 'em. I had an ATP stageII kit on my Jetta 2.slow. I put down 190hp at the wheels, with over 220lbs of torque at the wheels. Did I blow a tranny? nope, engine, nope.
Like the VWVORTEX crew said, the clutch will go first (which I upgraded) then probably the CV joints. But hey, keep up that positive attitude buddy!

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Re: MQ350 Transmission... what mods can it take? (new 337)

speaking of upgrading the clutch, how much cushion do we get if we install a vr6 clutch? is it worth it, or is it better to go with an aftermarket clutch?

·
Registered
11,466 Posts
Re: MQ350 Transmission... what mods can it take? (vwvortex1)

quote:[HR][/HR]So the MQ350 is capable of handling quite a bit more torque than the 02J, I wouldn't worry too much about a chip and exhaust mod in my opinion.
[HR][/HR]​
Speaking of clutches - Jamie, do you know if the upgraded 320mm clutch that accompanies the MQ350 on the 24v GTI VR6 is also found in the 337? If so that's even more reason not to fear reasonable power upgrades..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.