VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Mazda3 Sport 2.0 6MT / 2001 Mazda Miata 1.8 6MT
8,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

We're looking at swapping the family mk6 Jetta 8v for a larger family car, and a PHEV would really suit our needs & wants better than anything else. Not many manufacturers offer PHEVs with more than 5 seat (we're looking at a 6-8 seater because of the flexibility it offers when my parents-in-law stay with us for extended periods of time). We're looking at keeping this well past warranty, into the 12-15 year range, if possible. Maybe longer depending.

We were looking at a Highlander Hybrid, which checks all our boxes, but the new Kia Sorento PHEV looks pretty interesting and from a fuel consumption stand point, we'd probably be doing 95-98% of all our driving in full-EV mode, which really cuts down on our operating costs. And it has an actual 6-speed auto transmission (non-CVT). 260hp @ 2,060 kg should be fine.

My concerns are long-term reliability & durability. I'll likely have to replace a battery pack in its lifespan, which is a huge cost. Does anyone have any first-hand experiences with Kia's PHEV products and batteries? Any serious reasons I should be avoiding this?

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
13,882 Posts
Look, with any Hyundai/Kia 4-cylinder engine you run into their glaring history of repeated recalls related to engine components. If that's going to scare you away then clear your conscience and just go with the Highlander Hybrid. Me, personally? I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Sorrento. Sorry I don't have any firsthand experience with H/K hybrids other than the rentals I've had in the past.

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look, with any Hyundai/Kia 4-cylinder engine you run into their glaring history of repeated recalls related to engine components. If that's going to scare you away then clear your conscience and just go with the Highlander Hybrid. Me, personally? I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Sorrento. Sorry I don't have any firsthand experience with H/K hybrids other than the rentals I've had in the past.
my wife is already sold on the Highlander, but out of formality, she'll entertain other vehicles I suggest checking out. She's Dominican, so Toyotas hold a special place in her heart, since every road vehicle, commercial or not, older than 15 years old is a Toyota. Toyotas are definitely held on a pedestal there, moreso than in Canada. She also loves how the Highlander is comfortable and spacious, and to be fair, it's probably the better long-term choice.

I just feel like the Sorento, on paper anyway, seems like a clear winner. I've never owned any Korean products and have heard about countless issues on their atmospheric 4-cyl engines, which all sound like rattly garbage in the summer, and like a trash can concert during the winter.

·
Registered
23,386 Posts
We're looking at keeping this well past warranty, into the 12-15 year range, if possible.
Yeah, if anyone ever says "15-year lifespan" - that's an automatic "Toyota" recommendation from me. At $6.50/U.S. gallon and 18¢ per kWh, the Kia saves about $850/year vs. a Sienna or Highlander so the crossover point is 10+ years out (less if there are any substantial incentives on the Kia up there). Personally I feel like you can count on a H/K for a 10-year lifespan or a Toyota for 15-20.

My sister has the new Sienna and it is really nice, super comfortable and has tons of room, I would definitely consider it.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Product Automotive lighting

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah sadly, minivans are out.

Over the years, I've warmed up to them, but this is my wife's next daily driver and she refuses to drive any minivan whatsoever. The new Sienne is nice.

·
Registered
Far East GLI
1,874 Posts
In the USA, its hard enough to get either HH or Sorento PHEV, is it any better in Canada? Also, most Kia stealerships mark theirs up. The one dealer that I know in Ontario that doesn't charge over MSRP is Brantford Kia.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
SIL has a 23 Sportage PHEV and it's been good for the couple thousand miles she's owned it, but she's 1 million miles from being a car- or hybrid-person to really nerd out on it.

edit, no it's just a hybrid, not a plug-in

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the USA, its hard enough to get either HH or Sorento PHEV, is it any better in Canada? Also, most Kia stealerships mark theirs up. The one dealer that I know in Ontario that doesn't charge over MSRP is Brantford Kia.
interesting! So I just asked this question to a local-to-me Kia dealer; looking forward to their response.

·
Registered
'20 Telluride, '22 Santa Fe PHEV, '07 Airstream
11,193 Posts
If you have concerns going into the purchase, and a Highlander Hybrid checks all of the boxes - then just get the Highlander. No reason to complicate the decision.

As for me - my Santa Fe PHEV arrives at the dealer on 8/20. I find the Highlander to be uncomfortable (lumpy seats, steering wheel too far away) and I'll likely sell the Hyundai in 5-6 years to get a full EV.

Tom

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have concerns going into the purchase, and a Highlander Hybrid checks all of the boxes - then just get the Highlander. No reason to complicate the decision.

As for me - my Santa Fe PHEV arrives at the dealer on 8/20. I find the Highlander to be uncomfortable (lumpy seats, steering wheel too far away) and I'll likely sell the Hyundai in 5-6 years to get a full EV.

Tom
well the Kia cuts the fuel bills WAY down compared to the Highlander Hybrid. We have cheap and green electricity here in Quebec so it's tempting.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
my wife is already sold on the Highlander, but out of formality, she'll entertain other vehicles I suggest checking out. She's Dominican, so Toyotas hold a special place in her heart, since every road vehicle, commercial or not, older than 15 years old is a Toyota. Toyotas are definitely held on a pedestal there, moreso than in Canada. She also loves how the Highlander is comfortable and spacious, and to be fair, it's probably the better long-term choice.
I'm a Dominican trapped in New York like Gilligan- Armageddon most Dominicans I know covet Hondas moreso than Toyota perhaps an east coast thing :D (y)

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Middle-aged man sedan
13,788 Posts
I just feel like the Sorento, on paper anyway, seems like a clear winner. I've never owned any Korean products and have heard about countless issues on their atmospheric 4-cyl engines, which all sound like rattly garbage in the summer, and like a trash can concert during the winter.
I've always found H/K cars to be nicer than Toyotas, at least when it comes to fit/finish, materials, etc. My most recent personal experience is with our old 2012 Tucson... I very much enjoyed owning that one, and it had zero issues over 109k miles. Not too relevant, I know, but I was surprised by how good it was. That had an n/a 2.4, but I believe whatever they put in those was not one of the ones that implodes. My parents had a 2013? Santa Fe with the DI 2.4, and that one ate itself. So, who knows. They traded that - complete with the inop engine - to Hyundai for a lot of cash towards a current gen non-hybrid Tucson Limited.

Anyway, the Toyota is probably going to be more mechanically reliable over the long haul than a 6AT and a 1.6T, but less nice everywhere else, I'd guess. Plus PHEVs are neat. I personally prefer the look of the Santa Fe, but I'd imagine they're mechanically identical.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
First off, can you get one? We just ordered a Santa Fe and we are on a 6 month wait, so I asked about changing to a hybrid(normal or plug in) and I was told there was a 2 year wait for any hybrids.

Hyundai/Kia had issues with the 2.4L, which the current 2.5 is based off of, but they were also replacing engines for free, even out of warranty as long as you had oil change reciepts.
My neighbor bought a used 2012 Sonata 2.4 and the engine blew after 200,000kms. Hyundai gave him a new motor, no questions asked.

Yeah, if anyone ever says "15-year lifespan" - that's an automatic "Toyota" recommendation from me. At $6.50/U.S. gallon and 18¢ per kWh, the Kia saves about $850/year vs. a Sienna or Highlander so the crossover point is 10+ years out (less if there are any substantial incentives on the Kia up there). Personally I feel like you can count on a H/K for a 10-year lifespan or a Toyota for 15-20.

My sister has the new Sienna and it is really nice, super comfortable and has tons of room, I would definitely consider it.

View attachment 210684
The price difference in Canada is quite a bit different.
The Sorrento PHEV starts at $38K.
The Highlander hybrid starts at $49.6K, so you are already $11K ahead with the Kia.

·
Premium Member
13,082 Posts
I'm a Dominican trapped in New York like Gilligan- Armageddon most Dominicans I know covet Hondas moreso than Toyota perhaps an east coast thing :D (y)
This explains so much lmao...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts