VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

261 - 280 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Audi URS6
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Cool. Also, take those crusty nuts off your wastegate, run to the hardware store, and spend $5 on stainless acorn nuts. Trust me. :D
Just ordered a new cam position sensor from Marc as I just remembered I threw the mount out. Ugh.

Kind of mad at the insane pricing he has on these things.

·
Registered
1995 Audi URS6
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #266 (Edited)
How? Isn't it just held on with two allens? I'm confused.
It kind of got stuck on something and then the plastic bits actually crumbles when coming out. I could have probably been nicer to it. The problem isn't really the censor breaking but more-so the fact that the bracket got thrown out with it on accident.

Sidebar:

Trying to figure out how much this is worth and if it's worth putting in the car over the stock flywheel

Previous owner said is was a very expensive high end lightweight alu flywheel.

Made by MPD (out of business now apparently.) It's significantly lighter. Like, 20 lbs lighter lol. Not many references to it online that I see

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'd personally sell it. You are building a kinda porky german luxo tank. If you were building a swapped 4000 or SWB S1 replica, it would be more appropriate, but this is a road car not a track toy. The DMF is better for road cars, imho. If someone is willing to pay $200-300 for it, I don't think your car will be worth $2-300 more.

·
Registered
1995 Audi URS6
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
I'd personally sell it. You are building a kinda porky german luxo tank. If you were building a swapped 4000 or SWB S1 replica, it would be more appropriate, but this is a road car not a track toy. The DMF is better for road cars, imho. If someone is willing to pay $200-300 for it, I don't think your car will be worth $2-300 more.
Sound reasoning to me. I felt the same.

·
Registered
1995 Audi URS6
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #269 (Edited)
Update:

While waiting for parts I did this this! First time ever wrapping an exhaust so we'll see how it holds up.

This is what $175 gets you. A $20 bracket and a $20 CPS epoxied into the bracket. Thanks Marc.

Next, I found a $3500 S6 sedan in GA that I kinda want but also kinda don't. It's between that and half a dozen other cars for daily driving. I shouldn't make another bad decision prolly.

Next Next: Decided to scrap the instrument cluster boost gauge. Reason being that I can't connect the rest of the circuit board together without it being soldered together with wire. I am not going to own or sell a car with an instrument that is soldered together. It's just not right. It's also becoming very difficult to find anyone with a broken S6 cluster that they are willing to part out for just the circuit board. So I am trying to find a gauge cluster. There's a gentleman in Florida that runs a chop shop (you know who if you follow FB) that has insane prices and frankly should be punched in the throat. Hard to find clusters.

All of that being said, I decided to do this:

Worked out quite well. Next I'll wire it up using the terminals under the dash and it'll work nicely. The only downside of this is that there is no airflow through the center vent and the close-off flap to the passenger side will not work. Boohoo, they'll have to point the vent down/at the ceiling.

·
Registered
1995 Audi URS6
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
Just pulled the trigger on the Stromung exhaust. Wallet hurts but it's the best thing to do, especially since this might actually be my daily driver for the foreseeable future.

Got the rest of the gaskets in tonight as well so I'm getting the engine buttoned up right now! Finally!!! I got the timing sorted out at lunch. It's so satisfying!

·
Registered
1995 Audi URS6
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
Broke a bolt. **** meeeeee. One of the multiple oil pump holes. Not sure if I should helicoil it or what. Drilled it out a bit too much. Am dumb.

·
Registered
1995 Audi URS6
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
Stromung!? dang. Lucky!!!!
Yeah, I decided since I am currently carless and the exhaust it current has is a leaky, garbage mess that needs repairs and a muffler welded onto the end that I would just splurge the 1200 for a new system. I might need to get a different flange welded onto my downpipe, though. I'm hoping the downpipe actually fits as there are no markings on it and Scott @ Stromung said it's not one of his. I don't think it's one of Marc's either, but it is stock fitment from what I can tell.

·
Premium Member
Bunch of Crappy VWs
3,855 Posts
BTw, I just splurged on a 2 piece center driveshaft bearing support from https://www.jxbperformance.com/

I'll update when I get it installed but pretty geeked about it.
Definitely interested to see how that turns out. They recently started making that same bearing support for D2s.

·
Registered
1995 Audi URS6
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
Been a while since I've updated. Basically just waiting for some tiny parts from Audi Tradition via a proxy shipper. But....

It's here!! I was going to work with a gentleman local to me to get my downpipe matched up with the new exhaust but decided it would be more cost effective to just buy the damn Stromung fitment downpipe brand new. So Marc from EFI Express should be getting that out to me this week hopefully. One step closer!

When putting in the RPM and speed sensor the bracket decided to split in two. Rip.

Ordered a new one off Ebay. $45. Why.

As she sits now:

I was recently scolded for using hose clamps. Well, the engine came with hose clamps everywhere so I decided I would just use hose clamps everywhere. There are quite a few in use and frankly I don't have the patience right now to swap everything out with oetiker clamps or something else.

I am waiting on one final hose to arrive so I can get the coolant return line installed and then I should be able to torque everything down on the turbo side and assuming the final transmission bolt arrives this year, mount it up in the car. Hurrayyy!

I may need to spin the turbo a little to get the right hose fitment, yet...

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
10,034 Posts
We are due an update, sir.

261 - 280 of 295 Posts