281 - 295 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Audi URS6
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
We are due an update, sir.
You're right.

I took the panel off to fix the wiring and hopefully wire in the new headunit. It was even worse than the first time I put it back to stock. To be fair the speaker cable that I initially removed was not actually connected to anything so this had been done before. I am currently trying to find a shop local to me that is willing to take this car in and get the whole thing wired up properly for sound. Just the speakers to a head unit, nothing fancy. Frankly I just hate wiring and do not want to muck with it.

I also found out where the missing wire goes to. It was going to the plug that you can see right about the door latch cable (purple). That brown wire and red/blue was snipped. I need to figure out what it goes to, but I think it is the IR transmitter for the door locks. The car came with instructions that were circled and such for converting to RF door locks and included a kit that has since been thrown away.

This is a muffler and some rubbish on the ground

This is where I snipped the OG speaker wires. you can see just how little wiring I have to play with before having to de-pin and re-pin.

This is the coolant return line that Marc @ EFIExpress made me. Long story short, 034 would not split apart or source me any coolant or oil return/feed lines. I needed one line and they refused to assist in any way. I contacted Marc and he had one made and shipped within the hour. This was splendid. 034 is no longer getting my business.

This is the hose that I originally intended to use but it turns out -24 AN is bigger than I thought

This is my garage as it sits... waiting for these parts to arrive.

I am currently waiting on:

1. This little thing for the transmission that holes one of the things for the shifter (pic below)
  2. Nuts for the turbo flange. $10 a piece.
  3. EFI Expresss downpipe (will fit my current downpipe in the meantime)

Other than that I purged the gas tank and am ready to fill it up with a fuel system cleaner and some fresh gas. The gas was orange in color so I think it might have been bad. Maybe. I scoped the tank out and it was fine. I also pulled out the 044 pump thinking I could clean the filter but gave up because gasoline scares me and I didn't want to blow up my garage.

Oh, and I need to get the two new Hella horns mounted up. They came with a relay but I don't think I need it as there are already two pairs of wires run for it. The stock mounting point is not an option because the intercooler is there and the aftermarket position the old ones were mounted in is not my favorite, but I can't really do this until everything else is back together and I can figure out where things need to go.

The gauge turns on which is good. Hopefully my "rebuilt" wastegate works and I don't lose all boost or pump all the boost. We'll see.

I just realized we have a long weekend and I really want to get the engine in this weekend, but I don't know if it is worth doing that then having to mess with putting the downpipe and turbo on while in the car. It's kind of a tight space.

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
10,002 Posts
Thanks 😊

Cant wait to see this thing finished.... In my driveway...

·
Registered
1995 Audi URS6
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
Purchased the remaining things needed for the shift linkage. The old setup turned out to be jank as hell to get by.

I also cut off the tip of my toe last night while working in the garage, so wear boots everyone! Flip flops in the garage? Pssshhh.

Here are some pictures.

So to recap, we have ONE bolt from Finland coming which is holding pretty much everything up. I now have several washers and a bushing coming to finish the shifter linkage when that Finland package arrives. In the meantime I will try wiring everything up that I can. Luckily Audi usually makes connectors a can't-mess-up type of ordeal but there are two different white connectors coming off the wiring harness in the exact same spot, so I need to determine why/how/when.

SHOULD be a couple more weeks before my downpipe arrives. I was planning on test firing before then with the old downpipe but it's looking like we wont even make it that far.

Ignore the stain on the wheel arch. It's just oil, because it is German.

You can also see I mounted up my new Hella horns down there. Hopefully it works. I might get a thicker piece of aluminum or something to put in place of the tiny little ones that came with the horn because I fear it may fall off.

·
Registered
1995 Audi URS6
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
While I would have liked to do that, unfortunately the intercooler is massive and takes up all of that room. I might be able to make something work when I get it all mounted back up. Possibly just bolt it to the intercooler brackets.

·
Registered
1995 Audi URS6
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
UPDATE: Boats and Hose

Decided to replace the vacuum hoses because I had them and wanted to replace them. Getting rid of as many hose clamps as I can in favor of Oetiker clamps. Invested in a nice tool and a few sets of assorted clamps.

Yes, I am aware that the hose routing is a little bit wonky and not necessarily supposed to fit like it is fitting, but I thought it worked better than how it was set up previously, and I didn't want 1 spare hole to go to waste.

I also ordered some new Vibrant performance supplies to make a new line for the oil drain plug. I was not happy with how short the line is and it gets in the way of the turbo inlet pipe. You can see in this that there is a mess of lines crossing each other and not allowing any space for the silicon hose coming from the intercooler into the turbo. I'm trying to check out some older photos to see how the hell it worked in the first place because frankly I'm at a loss.

Also I am trying to sort out the remaining plugs. I think I've got a good idea, though. As an aside, I went to change out the fuel pressure regulator but it had a 3.5 or 4 bar regulator in there already. I think it might be the adjustable 034 one but not positive.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
IIRC AANs have high pressure fuel regulators, stock, so you're good. I had a V70R franken turbo half built for my car when I found a NOS RS2 turbo for sale... and that bull**** of lines you're dealing with is why I went with the RS2, even though the V70R kills it in every metric. Your car is gunna be beastie tho. If you don't have everything hooked up yet, I'd consider cerakoting the manifold and hotside of the turbo. I pulled my snail apart and marked everything and put it back together realigning all the spoolie parts, here's a video on it but the audio didn't work out, so it's all text:

I have 5,000 miles on my setup and it still looks freakin mint. Wish I had replated some of the fasteners tho. Oh well.

·
Registered
1995 Audi URS6
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
I was going to cerakote it all but the local powdercoating guy was taking forever and very flakey. I'm sure I could have found another but frankly it'll be fine. I'm not going to be racing it.

Sorted out the lines. Took the shielding off since realistically it wasn't going to do anything and there's a fan blowing right at them. Also mayyyy have had the lines backwards.

Now I need to figure out how I am going to shield the coolant feed line from the timing belt.

The stock design has a little pipe that goes between the little gap there and the cam cover shields it. I'll have to sort it out when I get closer to putting the cam cover on.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Is there room to run the line across the front of the timing belt cover? That's how it was on the 1.8T. If the cover would incorporate the hose safely, I would go with that, but I would worry about the fit of the cover on a braided steel hose.

·
Registered
1995 Audi URS6
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
Is there room to run the line across the front of the timing belt cover? That's how it was on the 1.8T. If the cover would incorporate the hose safely, I would go with that, but I would worry about the fit of the cover on a braided steel hose.
There are a variety of ways I could run it, across the front being one of them. It just looks more janky than I like (despite the whole thing looking messy...) It's worth noting this is how it was run when I got it and the engine was running just fine.

·
Registered
7,521 Posts
What normally goes into that threaded hole right around 4:00 on the cam gear? Could you make a thin finger of metal that comes down from there and holds the hoses against the head?

·
Registered
1995 Audi URS6
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
You ever do or say something stupid and then find out immediately how silly you were?

I knew that this piece existed but I forgot about it. After a bit of trimming it fits perfectly fine and clears all the timing components. All I had to do was take off the cam gear and detension the belt.

I am still struggling with figuring out which plug goes where, though.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
1995 Audi URS6
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
UPDATE:

Took a bunch of parts off. I decided instead of paying a guy to cerakote and powdercoat a bunch of my parts that I would just do it myself. This means I bought a massive air compressor. Just waiting on it to arrive here... Wired in my own 240v so should hopefully all work without burning my house down! Delivery date is first week of March... hopefully. So while I am waiting for that I pretty much can't do much.

Secondly, the part I have been waiting for did not come. Reason being: I gave the guy in Finland the wrong address. It made the 30-day trip to my town then they returned it the 30 days back to him because I sent them a bad address. Usually they'll still deliver it to me but not this time. So I ordered another in the meantime from someone else and had him send it again... hopefully I get it this year. That's the bushing for the shifter linkage to be complete.

I also ordered a Metra connector for my radio after redoing the door wiring again because I was bored. This time it is much better and I wired in some long strands of slack for the next owners to cut up as they like so they do not have to struggle like I did. I ordered a new Metra connector because the original one I ordered was wrong... thanks Amazon. This next one should work and in theory everything will just plug in... right? Who knows.

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
10,002 Posts
I wired in some long strands of slack for the next owners to cut up as they like so they do not have to struggle like I did.
I appreciate you.

281 - 295 of 295 Posts