VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
581 - 600 of 705 Posts

·
Registered
'95 Audi S6 Avant, 2004 VW Touareg v10 TDI
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #581 ·
update 69

I've lost track of how many times I have painted things now. This is the big batch and final spraying of Burnt Bronze that I will be doing. As of writing this I have not finished the Glacier Black parts but I will be doing that tomorrow.
The spraying of this was decent but I was obviously in a rush and results showed. I only had one run I believe and it isn't noticeable, however, I smudged one spot on the front face of the crank accessory pully and a spot on one of the pipes as I hit it against my pants. Not a huge deal, probably never going to notice it, but something that is frustrating nonetheless. The reason this happened is because I did not have enough hooks of the correct size to hang things up where I wanted. A professional shop would have a paint rack to hang things on. I do not, so I find areas with enough space under them to hang things.
Here are pics!

Sometimes it looks like there may be spots I missed, but for the most part that is just because of the light hitting the thousands of little bumps on the surface caused by the sandblasting that is required. I say "most part" because there are two items in here that I have already painted and missed spots on. The braided hose and the throttle body. Nothing to worry about as this paint is fantastic. It is incredibly expensive and does not go very far but Cerakote has been quite nice to work with and shipping has been very quick.
I would love to try out the Zycoat Zybar that I have seen good things about, but that is for another project.
Finally, have a look at all the stuff still to Cerakote! Most of this will be in Glacier Black with maybe one or two pieces remaining to be painted in Burnt Bronze. I do worry that I overdid it on the bronze, but it is what it is. I didn't want it to look tacky when all assembled but at the same time I spent $140 on Bronze paint, you know?

Bonus: Painter sent me a picture of the downpipe! It's almost a shame that I have to cut a hole in the top of the flange and weld in an EGT bung!

·
Premium Member
Bunch of Crappy VWs
4,676 Posts
Considered it. No real point, though. Bigger just means later spooling for more power but how fast do you need to go in a 26 year old car with bad bushings?
Obviously you need all the speeds in a 26 year old car with bad bushings.

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
21 RS6 Avant 10 A6 Avant 04 Isuzu Ascender 02 Chevy 2500 88 16v Scirocco
11,121 Posts
but how fast do you need to go in a 26 year old car with bad bushings?
But you’re gonna put in new bushings. So like. Yeah. Just do it.

·
11,121 Posts
I bet if I keep saying it, you will get so annoyed, you will just do it to shut me up.

So yeah, like, just do it.

·
11,121 Posts

·
Registered
'95 Audi S6 Avant, 2004 VW Touareg v10 TDI
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #592 ·
Guys I am trying to get this thing done before winter. Bushings would take it well into next year.

·
11,121 Posts
Guys I am trying to get this thing done before winter. Bushings would take it well into next year.
Perfection takes its sweet, sweet time.

So, yeah, like, just do it.

·
11,121 Posts
You do realize that every time I have to do something I add dollars to the price, right? We're at like 85k
Yeah, I realize that.

But, yeah, you know, just, like, do it.

Reactions: Atl-Atl

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Did you miss a period between the eight and the five?
I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by that. On one hand, he did say he's redone things a number of times but on the other hand...WTF.

·
11,121 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by that. On one hand, he did say he's redone things a number of times but on the other hand...WTF.
Believe he was exaggerating, due to a lot of money spent thus far. While I know he is deep into it...

I mean, you know, he should, just, like, do it.

581 - 600 of 705 Posts