VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
601 - 620 of 678 Posts

·
Registered
'95 Audi S6 Avant, 2004 VW Touareg v10 TDI
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #605 ·
So a CQ has come up for sale for the same price I bought this for. It's for sale from the guy I've bought a bunch of things from and sold a bunch of things to. He's in Olympia.

Why does this have to happen

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #606 ·
Also, thoughts on the freeze plugs? I'm not sure if there is supposed to be a lip back there behind it or not. Most of them have a significant piece taken out. Is this block toast?

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
21 RS6 Avant 10 A6 Avant 04 Isuzu Ascender 02 Chevy 2500 88 16v Scirocco
11,030 Posts
So a CQ has come up for sale for the same price I bought this for.
This is the ONLY reason not to go big turbo. If you buy that, then youll be excused....

Other wise, like, yeah, just, do it.

Reactions: Atl-Atl

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #609 ·
Well, I finally grabbed probably the biggest tool I could get when it comes to workshops. I've put it off for years because welding always seemed to be unattainable for a normal problem. After a bunch of research and running into one too many problems with my S6 that required welding something I did not have the expertise nor tools to weld, I picked one up.

The Primeweld 225x is incredibly well regarded in the welding community and an absolutely fantastic welder for the price. It does tig and stick with loads of different options. I picked it up as well as some accessories and a steel welding table. To my surprise it all came on the same day!

You can see the table is a reasonable size and came with a bunch of clamps that I can use right off the bat. The welder also fits perfectly between the bottom rails. I'll likely end up getting a plate for it to sit on just to protect the welder, but I was pleasantly surprised. Now all that is left is a bunch of acetone and a bottle of argon and I can start practicing! The welder kit also comes with a nice CK worldwide 40 degree bendable torch, some different cups, a foot pedal, and even a thumb switch.

The whole unit cam packaged very securely in very nice open-cell foam. The foam was so nice I ended up re-using it to house my cylinder head and block for the S6! Check out below to see it all together.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #610 ·
Here is the finished up Glacier Black stuff. It's coming out really nicely for the most part. It comes out far nicer on aluminum surfaces compared to iron, but that is to be expected as iron is far more rough.

Final pieces are curing now. Finally done with paint! Probably.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #611 ·
I ended up trying to use a puller tool from OTC that I purchased but it did not work at all. I am going to end up sending that tool back I believe. After this I simple made a slit in the middle of each freeze plug and pried them out. This was much more effort than I expected to put into these and I am slightly worried these are now damaged. I'll get an opinion from the shop regardless.

Check out how absolutely nasty these things are. I'm not even sure if that lip is supposed to be in there or if it is just buildup from the plugs.

·
11,030 Posts
Man those black painted parts look great!! Excited to see your welds

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #613 ·
Man those black painted parts look great!! Excited to see your welds
I'm not, LOL.

The paint looks great and I am very happy with it. Although I should have just taped up the brass oil drain. I had planned on just wiping it off with some acetone or a wire wheel. It's decisions like this that occur when you're 12 hours into sandblasting and painting.

·
11,030 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Stromaluski

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #618 ·
Engine shop said the block is perfectly fine and that sort of freeze plug wear is normal. Proceeding as normal.

I'm also going to buy bushings if I can. Only OEM, though. No poly trash.

·
11,030 Posts
Reactions: Stromaluski

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Engine shop said the block is perfectly fine and that sort of freeze plug wear is normal. Proceeding as normal.

I'm also going to buy bushings if I can. Only OEM, though. No poly trash.
I'm marking this down in my book as a win.

601 - 620 of 678 Posts