VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
6,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: msd 6btm install (FrameRotBlues)

i cant get a signal to go form the msd to the distributor. i looked around and people on the boards said msd will email you vehicle specific instructions- so thats what i did. thanks for the help!
--will

·
Banned
6,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: msd 6btm install (MicrobiologyNerd)

so if anyone wants to know- msd ignitions ar eso much fun to install http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
here's the lowdown- call msd nd have them fax you a better wiring diagram for import cars showing a cutaway of the coil and how it connects to the msd unit.
the diode you install has a direction to it!
YOU WILL NEED to buy the msd 8910 tach/fuel adapter for a 2.0L. its only 30 bucks.
enjoy!
--will

·
Registered
729 Posts
Re: msd 6btm install (dunhamjr)

Heh, that's the point of a diode, electricity only goes through it one way. (electrical engineer). So, do you notice any difference between the MSD and stock igition?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Re: msd 6btm install (ig_88e)

do you know if anyone has had any trouble running these types of ignitions (msd/jacobs) how much did you spend on yours? i'm looking at this as an option since my coil packs need replaced anyways.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: msd 6btm install (xjared304x)

Me wonders about running a MSD ignition on something with already inferior coilpacks... then again, I don't know what part of the coil fails.
MSD (Multiple Spark Discharge) boxes are capacitive-discharge ignition controls. They don't actually make the spark, they modify and massage the voltage that goes to the coil. Normally a coil's job is to transform 7-12 volts and convert it, momentarily, into 8-10,000 volts to make a spark. That's all it is - an oddly-shaped transformer. Obviously for an engine to be efficient, that spark has to arrive in the combustion chamber at exactly the right time. Back in the day when horsepower was king and gas was cheap, the only real 'timer' that worked was breaker points - a little switch that opened exactly when the spark was to occur. Nowadays due to the wonders of technology, that switch doesn't have to be mechanical. It can be optical, magnetic, etc. Even so, whatever system got used, you still had one single spark of 10,000 volts. An MSD box can take that switched signal and apply 380 volts to the coil, 2 or three times in a matter of a hundreth of a second (below 3000 RPM), so you get a 40,000 volt spark 3 times during a single power stroke. This means fuller, cleaner combustion and more power.
Back in the day, big blocks with radical cams wouldn't run right (cam lope!) until they reached their powerband due to the excess of gas at idle. The old single weak spark couldn't burn it all at once, i.e. rich mixture made it run rougher than it should. MSD boxes eliminated a little bit of that, and they help keep spark plugs from fouling due to all that gas in the cylinder.
In short, if your coils are failing now, MSD boxes might make it worse due to more voltage being applied, and I'm not sure you'd notice the extra sparks because your engine runs almost perfect and stoich anyway. The extra features are nice. Because they're an igntion control, they can limit your top RPM (6AL box), or sense the amount of boost and retard the timing proportionately (6BTM box), and so on. But the cheaper option there is to get a box that just retards the timing or is just a rev-limiter, rather than the whole CD system.
JMHO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: msd 6btm install (VW97Jetta)

Uh, no, actually I do technical theater stuff. Maybe I shoulda gone to college, but nah, I feel like I would be wasting 4 years of my life. I just like cars. I've got a '67 Ford LTD with a wore-out 360 truck motor, but soon to get a bored 390 with a 265 cam, 7-quart Milodon pan, windage tray, 6AL box and Pertronix, Holley 650 on an Offy 360 degree, shortie headers and dual 2.5" exhaust. Currently it's got an MX tranny and 2.79 rear gears, but hopefully soon she's getting a C6 with the switch, and deeper gears may be off somewhere in the future. I'd like to move up to 3.25's. So, I guess that'd be a 6.4L with around 350 horse, probably around 380 ft-lbs. of torque. She'll do alright for herself when that new motor goes in. My friends call her "the big green STD".
I was looking at buying a Jetta for all the miles I put on my ol' Gal, but the cost of full-coverage insurance for me is a little prohibitive at the moment. Gotta wait 'till I turn 25. That's how I ended up here. And everybody could use a little help or an opinion. I guess that's why all of us stay here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts