VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, ethenol is now being phased in as octane boosting MTBE is being removed by Federal mandate. I've heard many reports of cars stalling and NOT liking this stuff. It's going to be interesting to see how our Revo or whatever, chipped Rs' are going to react to this crap.
As it is, it's pretty hard to find gas around here as it is.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: MTBE GASOLINE GONE SOON. .CHIPS GONNA LIKE IT? (imnutz)

Typical.
First they take away my 94 octane, raise the price, now put this stuff in.

VA what are you thinking?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: MTBE GASOLINE GONE SOON. .CHIPS GONNA LIKE IT? (steed77)

Quote, originally posted by steed77 »

VA what are you thinking?

I don't believe it's just Virginia. . I could be wrong, but I think it's a Federal mandate.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

Yeah it is happening all over. Some gas stations are unable to operate due to this. Tanks are running dry until they get there shipment.
I am curious about the chipping as well.

·
Registered
15,766 Posts

Quote, originally posted by imnutz »
Well, ethenol is now being phased in as octane boosting MTBE is being removed by Federal mandate. I've heard many reports of cars stalling and NOT liking this stuff. It's going to be interesting to see how our Revo or whatever, chipped Rs' are going to react to this crap.
As it is, it's pretty hard to find gas around here as it is.

Cars stalling from ethanol? I could only imagine this happening if someone filled up with E85, or if they have an older car with a carburetor.
The only downside I've heard is lower fuel economy, although some spokesman from GM said that you wouldn't really notice compared to MTBE gasoline, and you'd need to put your car on a dyno to see the difference.
Naturally though, gasoline companies are going to use this as an excuse to jack up our prices throughout the summer driving season.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Re: MTBE GASOLINE GONE SOON. .CHIPS GONNA LIKE IT? (Mike Solo)

Quote, originally posted by Mike Solo »

Cars stalling from ethanol? I could only imagine this happening if someone filled up with E85, or if they have an older car with a carburetor.
The only downside I've heard is lower fuel economy, although some spokesman from GM said that you wouldn't really notice compared to MTBE gasoline, and you'd need to put your car on a dyno to see the difference.

Just spoke to AWE tuning. They said the Car will adapt. So I guess there will be some sort of transition period.

Modified by andru1313 at 10:27 AM 4-21-2006

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Re: MTBE GASOLINE GONE SOON. .CHIPS GONNA LIKE IT? (Mike Solo)

Quote, originally posted by Mike Solo »
Naturally though, gasoline companies are going to use this as an excuse to jack up our prices throughout the summer driving season.

I don't know about lower fuel economy... Where did you read that? I've heard that ethanol doesn't produce as much power per unit volume vs. gasoline. Does that translate into lower fuel economy? I have no idea... Anyone??

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: (scharged)

Quote, originally posted by scharged »
wtf are you guys talking about? what about my ****in turbo, screw the chips

In my best Artie Lang impression, "Waaaaaaa, my turbo, waaaaaaaa!"

·
Registered
430 Posts

We have had 10% ethanol here for years. It is awful stuff. My mileage goes down at least 4 MPG. So you end up burning significantly more fuel.....
But the corn farmers
lobby loves it.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Re: MTBE GASOLINE GONE SOON. .CHIPS GONNA LIKE IT? (argh32)

A gas station by my house was out of gas today. Coworker told me she went to an empty station also.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Re: (scharged)

Quote, originally posted by scharged »
wtf are you guys talking about? what about my ****in turbo, screw the chips

You are screwed!!

Don't think it will be a problem. You said your car isn't runnung right anyway.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Re: (r32mxspd)

the thing about ethanol/why pumps are running dry is that ethanol will pick up moisture and all the other crap sitting in the gas tanks, so the tanks have to be dried then scrubbed/cleaned in order to put ethanol based gas in them, you can't mix them in their storage tanks, I hate to see what this does inside our own tanks

·
Registered
18,552 Posts

I haven't seen MTBE in use for several years here. MTBE seeps
into the groundwater and was shown to be bad for your health.
In the midwest and mountain states, we've been using 91-92 octane
with ethanol during the winter months, for many years. The car runs just fine
chipped or otherwise and yes lowers fuel economy by a mpg or two
along with slight decrease in power. Ethanol production is subsidized
and it takes about a gallon of petroleum fuel to produce a gallon of
ethanol (net return on energy investment of 1) so a lot of people consider it
pretty much a waste of time and money as an alternative energy source..
but whatever.
ian

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: MTBE GASOLINE GONE SOON. .CHIPS GONNA LIKE IT? (Max Rebo)

Quote, originally posted by Max Rebo »
I've heard that ethanol doesn't produce as much power per unit volume vs. gasoline.

Bongo! Yes. . Less power and no difference in fuel ecomomy. . Except you'll put your foot down more and harder than before. .

·
Registered
15,766 Posts
Re: MTBE GASOLINE GONE SOON. .CHIPS GONNA LIKE IT? (argh32)

Quote, originally posted by argh32 »
We have had 10% ethanol here for years. It is awful stuff. My mileage goes down at least 4 MPG. So you end up burning significantly more fuel.....
But the corn farmers
lobby loves it.

Most people are in favor of it, because of MTBE's effects on groundwater supplies.
Edit: Whoops, I see Ian beat me to it.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Re: MTBE GASOLINE GONE SOON. .CHIPS GONNA LIKE IT? (Daemon42)

Quote, originally posted by Daemon42 »
I haven't seen MTBE in use for several years here. MTBE seeps
into the groundwater and was shown to be bad for your health.
In the midwest and mountain states, we've been using 91-92 octane
with ethanol during the winter months, for many years. The car runs just fine
chipped or otherwise and yes lowers fuel economy by a mpg or two
along with slight decrease in power.

Bingo.
Both Ethanol and MTBE are used as oxygenates. The purpose of oxygenates is to generally reduce the emissions of cars during colder weather by leaning out the mixture (via adding more oxygen to the fuel itself--hence "oxygenate"). Lower power output is one side effect.
The problem with this concept is that it was introduced when carbeurated cars populated the roads. With all our new-fangled electronic fuel injection and computerized emissions controls on our cars, the ECU detects that the mixture is lean and compensates by adding more fuel. That's why our cars see both lower power and worse fuel economy as a result. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Fortunately for the midwest (in relative terms), we only oxygenate during a prescribed period of "winter months". (That's a generalization that may not be accurate for all areas of the midwest, as I think each region has it's own mandates for regulating oxygenated fuels.)
Mike

1 - 20 of 31 Posts