VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
5,203 Posts
Re: mud flaps for golf III (jokerswild454)

Old picture when I first got her and put on mud flaps:

If your car is lowered they will scrape, mostly if you have anything in the car besides yourself. Gets annoying. My fronts would scrape if taking a hard, fast corner and grit would accumulate between the flap and body, scraping the paint. Got rid of the flaps only after a few weeks. Don't do it for a lowered car, even if mildly lowered like mine is.

[Modified by Air_Cooled_Nut, 11:20 AM 8-5-2002]

· Registered
9,270 Posts
Re: mud flaps for golf III (Air_Cooled_Nut)

i got mine from the dealer. they were like 55-60 bucks. they work real well and not too ugly. they also have a molded vw emblem. they dont scrpae too bad only sometimes. i have nuespeed race springs. just watch out and dont take things headon

· Registered
14,082 Posts
Re: mud flaps for golf III (AggvGtivr6)

I used them on my old Golf, the ones from the dealer. They save a lot of wear and tear on the paint, pretty darn functional if you ask me. My jetta is too low to have them. I'd rip them off on the speedbumps by my place.

· Registered
5,591 Posts
Re: mud flaps for golf III (shftat6)

quote:[HR][/HR]I used them on my old Golf, the ones from the dealer. They save a lot of wear and tear on the paint, pretty darn functional if you ask me. My jetta is too low to have them. I'd rip them off on the speedbumps by my place.[HR][/HR]​
Save a lot of wear and tear on the paint? My car has 65k miles on it with no mudflaps, driven daily rain, snow, sleet, whatever and I have no noticable paint damage from lack of mudflaps.
As far as looks go, they are not pretty... They look too 4x4.

· Registered
14,082 Posts
Re: mud flaps for golf III (DiscoStu)

Save a lot of wear and tear on the paint? My car has 65k miles on it with no mudflaps, driven daily rain, snow, sleet, whatever and I have no noticable paint damage from lack of mudflaps.
QUOTE]
Man what's with you guys, probably one of the few functional pieces of plastic people will put on their cars. Which blend in pretty well with the car if you have the factory skirts and are using the factory flaps. As far as the paint, there are about a million factors. Do you drive on dirt/gravel roads, do you run wide tires, do you have the factory skirts (which will help block some stuff thrown from the tires), do they use a lot of salt/etc where you live in winter, are you always drivng through road construction (we all know the goodies left on the road around those areas), etc, etc. If you want to use them, then use them. I have them on my wife's black Sentra and they certainly help on her car. I owned a black IROC-Z years ago which didn't have them and the rear quarters looked like they had been sandblasted after a few years. Ok, I've gone over my .02, I'll shut up now.

· Registered
3,729 Posts
Re: mud flaps for golf III (rt30000)

I am undecided about the splash guards. I had them on the golf and when I removed the side skirts to transfer them to the Jetta cant decide if I want to install the splash guards or not. I know here in Iowa they really help in the winter and they aren't that ugly. The golf looks cleaner without them but I hate to drill holes into the Jetta fenders / rear bumper just to mount them.
If you're at all thinking about installing the OE side skirts you'll want to wait with the splash guards, the ones for side skirts are different. I'll probably install them anyway since my car isn't lowered and I have to drive in the winter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.