VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought front and rear mud flaps for my 2001 Jetta. I put the front ones in just fine but i noticed that for the rear flaps I have to secure it with self taping screws in the wheel well. Is this way it is supposed to be? Any advise or tips would be helpful.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Re: mud flaps self installation help (danesh)

Yep, you have to use the self-tapping screws, there's no hole already there. I've added mine last summer. Fronts are much easier to add than the rears.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Re: mud flaps self installation help (haunted reality)

line it up, mark it up, and use an awl

·
Registered
5 Posts

I just put mine on last month. That is the way they are. Just put the flaps "on", line everything up, and screw it on. Just need a little more elbow grease to start the screws. It may take you a minute more then the front ones to do.

I thought it would be more involved, but it really isn't. Real easy, and now that we had our first rain storm, man I am glad I have them.

·
Registered
927 Posts

It's a bit easier if you drill pilot holes first. Volkswagen of Canada makes the front mud flaps and Votex of Germany makes the rear flaps. There is no reason why they couldn't have made the holes line up with the already existing holes, like the front flaps. Someone from VW of Canada should call Votex and enlighted them of this brilliant concept.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Re: mud flaps self installation help (woodrell)

Can't the rear flaps just be drilled to line up with existing screws, or are there none back there?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Re: mud flaps self installation help (keycom)

I guess you could, you would just have more holes the plastic than you need. It might be kind of hard to line it up. Think about it. How could you see where to drill?

·
Registered
20,077 Posts
Re: mud flaps self installation help (HeliMark)

quote:[HR][/HR]Just put the flaps "on", line everything up, and screw it on. Just need a little more elbow grease to start the screws.[HR][/HR]​
The screws are "self-tapping" so it takes a bit of time for the tip to bite through the plastic. I had good results with a low speed drill with a screwdriver bit. Just give a little bit of pressure while the screw works - doesn't take long.
FYI, the current stock in Canada are Votex *front* and rear. "Votex" is molded into the plastic.
I think the reason that the rears don't use existing screws is that those screws seem to secure the lower valence/bumper making reassembly a bit of a pain. When I took the screws out of one side I had to realign the bumper while replacing the screws. It's much easier to screw into the thick fender well plastic.
Don't worry about it people... with a motorized screwdriver of some sort it takes less than 60 sec to secure both flaps. It takes longer to figure out the POS jack

[Modified by F1_Fan, 9:06 AM 11-26-2001]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts