VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize for the "newbie" questioin but is there a way to make my 337 sound a little more "beefy"? I don't want anything crazy - just a little more than stock.
I want to keep cost very minimal since I am only looking to change sound and am not too worried about performance improvements. I just didn't know if there was some quick and easy way to do this.
Thanks VW guru's
Greg

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Re: muffler sound (gfarn1)

I removed my stock resonator to begin with...prolly before the muffler got a chance to break in so I'm not sure what it woulda sounded like with it all on....but I sure liked the way mine sounded!!!...but I needed something much more..hehe

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: muffler sound (Geo)

quote:[HR][/HR]I removed my stock resonator to begin with...[HR][/HR]​
Is this something I could easily do to see if it makes a difference and put back if it doesn't. Also will this interfer if emissions in any way?
Thanks,
Greg

·
Banned
8,717 Posts

Easiest way to do this is to buy a TDI mid pipe, like 30 or 40 beans. http://www.parts4vws.com has em. But it will have to be welded on by a shop where the mid pipe connects to the tail end. Will give you a little more power and some "beefier" sound. I have 20k on my 337 and I will tell you my exhaust sounds sweeet! Perfect I think. Nice littel growl at idle and when you step into sounds mean. I think its broken in quite nice. I also have a 2.5 inch DP but I dont really think it made it any louder.
I just wish I could get the same sound out of a high performance 3 inch turbo back.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: muffler sound (CruiseVW)

quote:[HR][/HR]Easiest way to do this is to buy a TDI mid pipe[HR][/HR]​
That seems to be just what I'm looking for. Do you happen to have a part # for this?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: muffler sound (CruiseVW)

quote:[HR][/HR]Easiest way to do this is to buy a TDI mid pipe, like 30 or 40 beans. http://www.parts4vws.com [HR][/HR]​
I did find this at Autotech but I'm guessing this isn't what you're refering to: Golf 4 TDI & 2.0L 1999-2002 midpipe 10.297.524K $429.95
I couldn't find anything on parts4vws.
Can you (anyone) help any further?
Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
134 Posts

Buy a 84 GTI!

Over the years I've replaced mine more than a few times. Two stock parts and now come with a lifetime warranty! Nice, deep sound complete with pops and it doesn't sound like a tin can.
Sorry, just had to say it, I was out driving my 84 today.
Seriously, the 84's (maybe 83's too) had a straight pipe from cat back to the muffler piece. No second muffler/resonator (not sure which is which)
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Re: muffler sound (3-THREE-7)

quote:[HR][/HR]Whistle Tip!! WOOO WOOOO!

[Modified by 3-THREE-7, 1:47 PM 3-19-2003][HR][/HR]​
LMAO!!!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Re: muffler sound (BLITZ337)

a resonator does not effect your emissions in any way....it is just a spaced to allow the sound to resonate which would make it quieter when it reaches the end
usually they are good fro restricting air flow as well

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: muffler sound (Geo)

quote:[HR][/HR]a resonator does not effect your emissions in any way....it is just a spaced to allow the sound to resonate which would make it quieter when it reaches the end
usually they are good fro restricting air flow as well[HR][/HR]​
Sorry I'm stupid, but are you saying these are good things (to take it out)??

·
Registered
1,714 Posts

well if you want better air flow (which would improve performance...depending on the amount of restriction) and would make it louder
with my resonator out...it really didn't seem to have a performance gain (cause ours aren't all that restrictive to begin with) and my car was not very loud...it seemed to give it a deeper rumble compared to the others
I know I just confused the hell out of you...hehe..sorry
I just went down to my local muffler shop and had them weld a pipe in place for about 50 bux....cause that's all the tdi pipe is

1 - 13 of 13 Posts