Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: mufflerectomy (Zuber Speed)

quote:[HR][/HR]i got a question about mufferectomy
is it louder?...
can a muffler make it louder?
is there any gains?[HR][/HR]​
i've heard its not much louder at all if you extend the new straight pipe which replaces the muffler PAST the bumper
no point really in putting in a diff muffler
possibly 1-2 hp gains i think i read, its probably that or less

·
Registered
1,001 Posts

I think the Deliverance rules apply. Many, many factory standard exhausts are much louder than the muffler excision. It'll never happen! If you get drones, just pull out your warp energy ray gun and blast them into Sector 9 or something.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Re: mufflerectomy (TDI ESEL)

No droning...just the sweet whistle of the happy turbo. And if your still a little uneasy about removing the muffler get them to weld on flanges to the original exhaust, old muffler, and new pipe. That way if you dont like the noise...or are going for emissions testing you can just swap them with taking out 4 bolts.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts

I went to 3 different shops before someone would cut off my muffler and put on a straight pipe. They all said it would be too loud and i could come back and complain. The last shop was suprised when they fired it up and there was little noise difference.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Re: mufflerectomy (ST33LR4T)

I just had a 2" pipe made at a muffler shop. Originally I removed the entire exhaust system after the catalytic converter, but the back half of my car ended up turning black from all of the soot, and it was pretty loud inside the car... so I ran it all the way back to the bumper and had the muffler guy put a little bend in it so that the exhaust is directed at the ground instead of my car or straight out the back. It's a little louder at idle, the turbo screams when you first start it up on a cold morning, and I LOVE it. I noticed more power between 2500 & 4000 rpms, slightly less power before 1500 rpms when the turbo is off boost.
My overall evaluation... excellent modification, just get a 2.5" pipe instead of the more restrictive 2" pipe like I got.

·
Registered
243 Posts

My flange only has two bolts. Try a "speed" shop or performance shop instead of Midas. If you're ever down here in Maryland, I could recommend a muffler shop down here for you. Possitive Attitude first recommended the place to me.
I've finally settled on my CAI system and am happy with it. In the spring, I will re-install my straight pipe. I wanted to get the "noise" situation settled a bit.
The muffler drone/noise isn't loud at all. If you pull up next to a TDI with no muffler, you probably wouldn't ever notice.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Re: mufflerectomy (TDI_Jetta)

2" works great, and it isnt restrictive at all. Smaller pipe is good for higher velocities, and if you know anything about physics, faster flow is better than turbulance in a larger pipe. Keep the pipe the same size as stock. Veedubtdi doesnt know what he is talking about
. I would recommend not using a tip. Have the muffler shop bend the pipe so it comes out pointing to the ground such as stock. This will keep the soot off the back of your car. It will collect there very rapidly and make the back of your car disgusting. Tips will instantly turn black, and are hard to clean. Its your ride, feel free to experiment and see what works for you. I've done a few muffler removals, and I KNOW the only way to go is to do a downturned tip.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.