VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
i recently changed my wires and spark plugs and MAFS in hopes of fixing the misfires but no luck. It’s running rich and no signal from bank 1 sensor 1. It’s a multiple misfire and it’s misfiring on cylinders 2,3,4,5, and 6. I also changed the fuel filter. The car is running a little better then compared to yesterday. I had a local shop that work on VW’s do a diagnostic last week that dropped me $130 and they said it was injectors 1 and 6. They said spark looked good and no damage on any of the cylinders. My mechanic that I’ve stuck with is saying it doesn’t need fuel injectors and he checked them but honestly I’m not too sure if he knows what he’s talking about. This coming week I’m going to a new shop that’s fair on repairs and see what they say. Sorry for the long rant.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If there's no signal from your upstream 02 sensor, I'd be willing to bet my next paycheck that it is what is causing 80% of your issues. Upstream 02 sensor (B1-S1) is what reports AFR data to the ECM for corrections/adjustments. If it doesn't read or has no signal, the ECM won't know where/If more or less fuel is needed, so essentially running in open loop fueling (non AFR regulated). I would however, check your ignition coils and every vacuum line hooked to that intake manifold as well. Rubber vacuum lines and plastic fittings sitting near heat for years is a recipe for issues. If a vacuum leak is bad enough you'll have misfires on all cylinders. Check those, replace the 02 sensor, and clear the codes. Should run much better.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If there's no signal from your upstream 02 sensor, I'd be willing to bet my next paycheck that it is what is causing 80% of your issues. Upstream 02 sensor (B1-S1) is what reports AFR data to the ECM for corrections/adjustments. If it doesn't read or has no signal, the ECM won't know where/If more or less fuel is needed, so essentially running in open loop fueling (non AFR regulated). I would however, check your ignition coils and every vacuum line hooked to that intake manifold as well. Rubber vacuum lines and plastic fittings sitting near heat for years is a recipe for issues. If a vacuum leak is bad enough you'll have misfires on all cylinders. Check those, replace the 02 sensor, and clear the codes. Should run much better.

Thank you! I’ll check them tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Are you able to pull VagCom DTCs? Not the generic OBD codes but proper codes. There are multiple sensors tied into one or two fuses. Check all your fuses first chance. On my 1.8t the MAF, B1S1 o2, and EVAP are all on the same fuse.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here’s the breakdown from the diagnostic from that local shop I said about. “Check engine light is on. Retrieved fault codes and cleared codes. Codes for misfires on Cylinders 1 and 6 returned. Pulled spark plugs and found spark plugs on 1 and 6 very black indicating an excess of fuel or lack of spark. Performed compression test, results were within specifications at or above 150psi at each cylinder. Check for presence and quality of ignition spark. All plugs were performing well. These findings indicate the concern lies at the fuel injectors, due to time required to access injectors, cannot determine if injectors need to be replaced or wiring needs repair.” Hate to give out my number on here but I’d rather talk over the phone. (716-292-7156). Give me a call when you have a few mins.
QUOTE="airsoftsteven, post: 115270867, member: 3832214"]

[/QUOTE]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts