VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going on a long driving trip next week. I bought an Amazon USB to USB-C adapter. I plugged that into my 30 pin to USB cable and then connected one of my iPod Classics. Just want to listen to my music without using data. USB DEVICE NOT SUPPORTED Is there something I am missing or am I just washed up?

·
Registered
2022 MK8 Golf GTI SE - 6MT - Moonstone Grey
123 Posts
I’m going on a long driving trip next week. I bought an Amazon USB to USB-C adapter. I plugged that into my 30 pin to USB cable and then connected one of my iPod Classics. Just want to listen to my music without using data. USB DEVICE NOT SUPPORTED Is there something I am missing or am I just washed up?
Nah unfortunately I believe our beloved nuggets are unsupported by the software. Gonna have to see if my 5.5 gen classic will work, it worked with my old vw unit after I did the flash mod so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2022 Golf R DSG Lapiz Blue
149 Posts
No SD option in the Mk.8

Bluetooth or USB-C thumb drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Tried it out with a USB stick today and the USB-C adapter and it worked well. I understand now that the car wants to display album selection etc. Ordered a 256GB stick today. Surprised they make them with so much capacity…Thank you.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Just download the music to you phone, then you wont be using data.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thanks. Tried it out with a USB stick today and the USB-C adapter and it worked well. I understand now that the car wants to display album selection etc. Ordered a 256GB stick today. Surprised they make them with so much capacity…Thank you.
I had the same problem as you, wanted to use my 30pin iPod classic and no dice. I was trying to see if anyone found a solution (bluetooth adapter for the ipod classic?) but I guess the easier/cheaper option is a USB flash drive.
So everything is listed by album? Can't specify artist first and then album's by artist? That would be a bit of a bummer but I guess I could live with it.

·
Registered
2016 Golf R DSG
811 Posts
I had the same problem as you, wanted to use my 30pin iPod classic and no dice. I was trying to see if anyone found a solution (bluetooth adapter for the ipod classic?) but I guess the easier/cheaper option is a USB flash drive.
So everything is listed by album? Can't specify artist first and then album's by artist? That would be a bit of a bummer but I guess I could live with it.
hmmmm…I’ll need to check, but I think you can going through the menu.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I loaded my USB stick I took the music from the computer as entire artist folders. I can scroll through artists and then select an album and then select a song. On my first go around I only loaded a few albums and was not able to search by artist. Now artist is the “top menu”.

·
Registered
558 Posts
When I loaded my USB stick I took the music from the computer as entire artist folders. I can scroll through artists and then select an album and then select a song. On my first go around I only loaded a few albums and was not able to search by artist. Now artist is the “top menu”.
Ah so it's somewhat dependent on how you organize your folders instead of reading from ID3 tag data? Sounds like this is my solution. Although I'm a little sad my relic from another era will no longer have much use.

·
Registered
2016 Golf R DSG
811 Posts
Ah so it's somewhat dependent on how you organize your folders instead of reading from ID3 tag data? Sounds like this is my solution. Although I'm a little sad my relic from another era will no longer have much use.
I fitted mine with flash storage at 128G and gave it to my brother in law. He loves it for mowing the the lawn and running. He doesn’t own a smartphone so it fills a decent void for him.

·
Registered
2016 Golf R DSG
811 Posts
I'm such a fossil that in the months leading up to getting my new R, I purchased 3 CD's. 🤦‍♂️

What's a great cord to purchase to hook up an iPhone?
If you’re talking Mk8, it should be USB-C to lightning. I like the Nimble products, available at Verizon now. I have one and it’s built pretty tough and from recycled plastic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts