VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 786 Posts

·
Premium Member
500e, Exige
22,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.d...uld-build-second-plant-in-texas#axzz2Q8x1rttY

Automotive News said:
Musk said he's a believer in localizing production to minimize logistics cost. A second plant could also make additional models. He floated the idea of making a pickup truck in Texas.

"I have this idea for a really advanced electric truck that has the performance of a sports car but actually more towing power and more carrying capacity than a gasoline or diesel truck of comparable size," Musk said. "That could be really cool, and I think that would probably make sense to do that at a new plant."

Musk said he has a design in mind for the truck, but it probably wouldn't come to market for another four or five years.

http://www.theophiluschin.com/?p=4202

·
Banned
7,776 Posts
As much as I love the idea of this, I think it would have a hard time selling, since most people who buy trucks are fairly stuck in their ways, and wouldn't likely accept an electric truck. Also, most people who buy electric cars probably aren't interested in trucks. I could definitely see it catching on for small businesses, though.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
make it a quad cab with a towing capacity of 8000lbs and a range of 500 miles and ill be on the list

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
make it a quad cab with a towing capacity of 8000lbs and a range of 500 miles and ill be on the list
You forgot a $25,000 sticker price and some way to work in a clutch pedal despite the lack of transmission.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

·
Banned
5,565 Posts
By that time a base 1500WT will get 90mpg. Electric is good for short commutes if you have money, and in hybrid for a taxi.

As a person who has had 6 trucks, and I hauled alot with 3 of them. I can tell you watching your 18-20 mpg truck go to 12 mpg is bad. So where is he going to get all this magical power from?
Wow, I bet he didn't think about that! Better call him up and educate him, so he can not waste any time on this.

·
Registered
Bluestar, NA, V227
15,318 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Y E S P L E A S E!, I promise to buy if you build it. I will be due for a new truck by then anyway and I will own my F-150 out right at that time.

I would like to see a truck about the size of the gen 1 Tundra, min 6500lb towing, min 1500 payload. I dont care how many doors are offered as long as ext cab or crew with a back seat for my kids.

6ft box at least, I work out of my truck and those 5ft boxes are useless.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Half ton pickups getting 90 mpg in 4-5 years?

Small truck, more pay load, and handle like a sports car?

Wow shall we say bath salts?

If he said El Camino or Ranchero like vehicle, 500 pound payload, and a 100 mile range. Yes it may work.

1 - 20 of 786 Posts