VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19,725 Posts
Re: (CSmith)

Quote, originally posted by CSmith »

So there is a 4.5 gal tank and a 1.6 gal tank, both of which need to be emptied and refilled at every oil change?
That's a total of 6.1 gallons of DEF, at a cost of $80/gallon = $488

Please tell me my math is incorrect.

Your math is correct, but he was ripped off royally by the dealer.
An identical bottle (same bottle, same fitting, same DEF fluid) goes for a fraction of that price at VW/Audi or even other BMW dealers.
And that bottle is designed for emergency use, and has a higher price tag due to the special fitting at the top (it's called a Kruse bottle).
To fully refill the car, the bulk 2.5 gallon bottles should be purchased.
$40 is a ridiculous price for a half gallon and I honestly think Mwerks should complain to BMW. That's more than double what other BMW dealers charge and 5x what Mercedes, VW, and Audi dealers charge for the same bottle.

Modified by Shomegrown at 11:58 AM 8-13-2009

·
Registered
19,725 Posts
Re: FV-QR (mobile363)

Quote, originally posted by mobile363 »
If I want to install a turbo-back straight pipe on a 335D, is it easy to do?

Not possible, unless you find someone who will write you a chip to disable all of the emissions equipment. I doubt any responsible tuner will be willing to do that.

·
Registered
19,725 Posts
Re: (VeeeDoubleU)

Quote, originally posted by VeeeDoubleU »
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2....html
DEF fluid may need to be replaced in hot climates where a truck sees little to no use for extended periods. DEF slowly converts to ammonia around 120 degrees, and the process accelerates as temperatures rise
maybe thats why they want a full drain and refill ?

It's got a limited shelf life of approx 18-24 months.

·
Registered
19,725 Posts
Re: FV-QR (HASSELHOF)

Quote, originally posted by HASSELHOF »
sounds like the passive tank needs is the one to be filled, and that in turn pumps into the active tank. am i correct on this? i bet the warning sensor is only in the passive tank and was maybe neglected from a green to the car tech. thus in turn leading to the warning light and then not shutting off when you used the emergency bottle to fill the active tank.

The passive tank is a "dummy" tank.
Any electrics will be in the active tank, including level sensors.

·
Registered
19,725 Posts
Re: MWerks Project 335d- Topping Up the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (BartVW)

Quote, originally posted by BartVW »

Yes I understand that it is part of regular maintenance, and that it should be changed in time. But! Remember older diesels? They ran just fine without any exhaust additives, so it's not as important as all the other regular maintenance. So I'm just saying, it is kind of annoying that your car will not start (except for once after an empty DEF tank) with an empty tank. It's just an emissions thing I guess..

Outside of the US it's also tax evasion. Your yearly road taxes are dictated by your emission level.

·
Registered
19,725 Posts

I am from outside the US, and I have never heard of such a thing!
I don't think there would be one police officer, that would know the difference between an empty tank and one that is topped up. Maybe they do this in Germany or something, but not in other EU countries.

That's my point. They don't check. That's why the automakers were forced by the government(s) to require the vehicle to stop running if the tank runs dry. It's not like that was BMW's choice.

·
Registered
19,725 Posts

Shame, stupid politicians.
There must be a may to get around this though.
If you drive and LPG equiped vehicle, the engine management can be 'fooled' by means of a computer chip. It basically tells the ECU that the injectors are still injecting petrol, even though they are not.
It must be possible to tell the ECU that the tank is still full of urea.

You can fool the tank sensors, but there are also sensors in the exhaust to make sure the emissions are actually clean. If those fault, you'll have the same problem.
Someone could write a code to bypass all that stuff, though it would probably be illegal to sell or market it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.