VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Re: (bleedblue)

Quote, originally posted by bleedblue »
Not that 40 bucks is all that much, but shouldn't this be covered under BMW scheduled maint. plan? If so why are they charging you for it?

Because last time we posted something about this, everyone complained that it didn't cover how hard it is to do it at home or how much the stuff costs. But as Bryan mentioned, our light is still on, so we'll just be taking it to the dealer anyway, where they should hopefully cover the cost. Otherwise, I'm going to raise some stink in that place.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Re: ([email protected])

This is from BMW's fluid chart
Vehicles are factory-filled with DEF (diesel engine additive), also known as AdBluereg;. DEF is stored in two separate
reservoirs within the vehicle. The "active" reservoir from which the DEF is injected into the exhaust system holds approx.
1.6 gallons. It is heated at low exterior temperatures to prevent the DEF from freezing. The second reservoir feeds the
active tank via a transfer pump and is large enough to last between scheduled engine oil changes. It is referred to as the
"passive" tank, with a capacity of approx 4.5 gallons, and is located in the "spare tire well" of the trunk. At every Engine Oil
Service, all remaining DEF must be completely drained from both tanks, and then refilled with new DEF. It is not sufficient
to "top up" the reservoir.
The filling location for both tanks is behind an access flap on the surface of the rear bumper's left side. Remove the plugs
by inserting the front face of the screwdriver handle (from the vehicle's on-board tool kit) into the plug's recess.
If the supply of DEF runs low, the instrument cluster warning lamp will indicate the estimated remaining distance which the
vehicle may be driven, starting at approx. 1000 more miles. At approx. 200 miles, the warning lamp will illuminate again,
with the miles counting down to 0. Once the distance reaches 0 miles (shown by "- - -" with the warning lamp symbol), the
car will not start up again until DEF is refilled. This is done so that the vehicle meets federal emissions regulations.
However, the DEF system does allow one single "emergency" engine start at "0" miles, provided that you start the engine
within 3 minutes of last shutting it off.
DEF will soon be available at BMW centers (part number, container size and other details to be provided). One pack of
DEF will be sent to each BMW center prior to the first vehicle arrival.

But then at the bottom it says this
Warranty will only reimburse the use of 2.5 gallon service bottles (P/N 83 19 0 440 158) when draining and refilling the
SCR system.

Why would you drain the whole system and then only refill it with 2.5 Gallon? Stupid BMW

·
Registered
869 Posts
Re: MWerks Project 335d- Topping Up the Diesel Exhaust Fluid ([email protected])

European cars have had AdBlue for a couple of years already.
My dad's cars gets topped up with AdBlue whenever it's in for service.
And yes, your car will polute more when there's no AdBlue available to clean the exhaust gasses.
But it's kind of annoying that your 40k (or something), BMW will not even start if there's no fluid in there.
Nice going in an emergency...

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Re: MWerks Project 335d- Topping Up the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (KARMANN_20V)

Quote, originally posted by KARMANN_20V »

As a sidenote, if that filler cap was placed any lower, it would be impossible to stick your peepee in there without a funnel

It all depends on how far your pecker can reach. Have you considered augmentation?

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Re: MWerks Project 335d- Topping Up the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (BartVW)

Quote, originally posted by BartVW »

But it's kind of annoying that your 40k (or something), BMW will not even start if there's no fluid in there.
Nice going in an emergency...

Exhaust fluid is part of regular maintenance on this car. Would you be angry if you put off oil changes until your crankcase was full of molasses and you couldn't get your car started to save you from the zombie apocalypse?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts

Quote, originally posted by B[email protected] »

We actually have an appointment tomorrow to double check. The warning light hasn't gone off yet.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Thanks for the regular updates on this vehicle. I've convinced the other half that we should get one, now all we have to do is wait for the lease to expire on the G and it will be ours.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Re: (loudgli)

Quote, originally posted by loudgli »
This is from BMW's fluid chart
Vehicles are factory-filled with DEF (diesel engine additive), also known as AdBluereg;. DEF is stored in two separate
reservoirs within the vehicle. The "active" reservoir from which the DEF is injected into the exhaust system holds approx.
1.6 gallons. It is heated at low exterior temperatures to prevent the DEF from freezing. The second reservoir feeds the
active tank via a transfer pump and is large enough to last between scheduled engine oil changes. It is referred to as the
"passive" tank, with a capacity of approx 4.5 gallons, and is located in the "spare tire well" of the trunk. At every Engine Oil
Service, all remaining DEF must be completely drained from both tanks, and then refilled with new DEF. It is not sufficient
to "top up" the reservoir.
The filling location for both tanks is behind an access flap on the surface of the rear bumper's left side. Remove the plugs
by inserting the front face of the screwdriver handle (from the vehicle's on-board tool kit) into the plug's recess.
If the supply of DEF runs low, the instrument cluster warning lamp will indicate the estimated remaining distance which the
vehicle may be driven, starting at approx. 1000 more miles. At approx. 200 miles, the warning lamp will illuminate again,
with the miles counting down to 0. Once the distance reaches 0 miles (shown by "- - -" with the warning lamp symbol), the
car will not start up again until DEF is refilled. This is done so that the vehicle meets federal emissions regulations.
However, the DEF system does allow one single "emergency" engine start at "0" miles, provided that you start the engine
within 3 minutes of last shutting it off.
DEF will soon be available at BMW centers (part number, container size and other details to be provided). One pack of
DEF will be sent to each BMW center prior to the first vehicle arrival.

But then at the bottom it says this
Warranty will only reimburse the use of 2.5 gallon service bottles (P/N 83 19 0 440 158) when draining and refilling the
SCR system.

Why would you drain the whole system and then only refill it with 2.5 Gallon? Stupid BMW

So there is a 4.5 gal tank and a 1.6 gal tank, both of which need to be emptied and refilled at every oil change?
That's a total of 6.1 gallons of DEF, at a cost of $80/gallon = $488

Please tell me my math is incorrect.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »

Because last time we posted something about this, everyone complained that it didn't cover how hard it is to do it at home or how much the stuff costs. But as Bryan mentioned, our light is still on, so we'll just be taking it to the dealer anyway, where they should hopefully cover the cost. Otherwise, I'm going to raise some stink in that place.

Wait... You expect one independently owned franchise to reimburse you for an expense you elected to incur at another independently owned franchise knowing that you didn't have to incur it but did so under the guise of internet journalism? Do you really think that's a rational position to take?

Modified by Smindustries at 10:51 PM 8-12-2009

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Re: (windycityvdub)

Frankly, sounds like a pain in the ass. Your experience would definitely make me think twice about buying any diesel that needs AdBlue or a similar fluid. 5k is way too short of an interval for another service on a car these days.

·
Registered
8,280 Posts

Quote, originally posted by windycityvdub »
Which dealer do you use in the Chicagoland area, just curious?

Given his username and location, I'd have to guess Motorwerks in Barrington.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Re: (BTM)

Quote, originally posted by BTM »

Given his username and location, I'd have to guess Motorwerks in Barrington.

I don't think MWerks is related to Motorwerks? Is it? I was thinking they went to Patrick. (I thought VMG was based somewhere near there?)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by CSmith »

So there is a 4.5 gal tank and a 1.6 gal tank, both of which need to be emptied and refilled at every oil change?

It is... you forgot to subtract the 2.5 gallon "gift" you receive from your dealer meaning it's only a mere $288. That is quite a bit of fuel that could otherwise be bought in an "i" car.

·
Registered
8,280 Posts

Quote, originally posted by windycityvdub »

I don't think MWerks is related to Motorwerks? Is it? I was thinking they went to Patrick. (I thought VMG was based somewhere near there?)

Hmm, now that you mention it, I've never actually seen anything on here that implies Mwerks=Motorwerks. I just assumed it since I've been driving past that place my entire life...and his location is Chicago 'burbs. Now I'm curious too.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Re: (BTM)

Quote, originally posted by BTM »

Hmm, now that you mention it, I've never actually seen anything on here that implies Mwerks=Motorwerks. I just assumed it since I've been driving past that place my entire life...and his location is Chicago 'burbs. Now I'm curious too.

I'm pretty sure MWerks has something to do with this site:
http://forums.mwerks.com/zeroforum?id=1

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Re: (CSmith)

Quote, originally posted by CSmith »

Bulk DEF costs ~$6/gal, maybe even less. You can visit your local Pilot truck stop and ask them how much their DEF is.
I'd presume BMW's price is mostly the "badge" and dealer markup.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Re: (Hotpockets)

FWIW VW 3.0L V-6 TDI requires the DEF at approx. 5k depending on driving style and conditions, but it is paid for under the Carefree Maintenence program even though the normal oil services are every 10k.... this was discussed at length at VoA, and the decision was made that you can't claim all maintenence paid for first 3 years and then make customers buy the urea between services. Also the VW will not restart after the urea tank is emptied, has to meet emission standards at all times. And there is no information that I have seen that requires the urea to be drained at the service intervals.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.