VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
19,725 Posts
Re: (CSmith)

Quote, originally posted by CSmith »

So there is a 4.5 gal tank and a 1.6 gal tank, both of which need to be emptied and refilled at every oil change?
That's a total of 6.1 gallons of DEF, at a cost of $80/gallon = $488

Please tell me my math is incorrect.

Your math is correct, but he was ripped off royally by the dealer.
An identical bottle (same bottle, same fitting, same DEF fluid) goes for a fraction of that price at VW/Audi or even other BMW dealers.
And that bottle is designed for emergency use, and has a higher price tag due to the special fitting at the top (it's called a Kruse bottle).
To fully refill the car, the bulk 2.5 gallon bottles should be purchased.
$40 is a ridiculous price for a half gallon and I honestly think Mwerks should complain to BMW. That's more than double what other BMW dealers charge and 5x what Mercedes, VW, and Audi dealers charge for the same bottle.

Modified by Shomegrown at 11:58 AM 8-13-2009

·
Registered
19,725 Posts
Re: FV-QR (mobile363)

Quote, originally posted by mobile363 »
If I want to install a turbo-back straight pipe on a 335D, is it easy to do?

Not possible, unless you find someone who will write you a chip to disable all of the emissions equipment. I doubt any responsible tuner will be willing to do that.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Re: (Smindustries)

Quote, originally posted by Smindustries »

Wait... You expect one independently owned franchise to reimburse you for an expense you elected to incur at another independently owned franchise knowing that you didn't have to incur it but did so under the guise of internet journalism? Do you really think that's a rational position to take?

Modified by Smindustries at 10:51 PM 8-12-2009

Yeah, that's exactly my argument. I shouldn't pay because I'm writing about this car on the internet. Good call, man.
No, I said what I said because we just had this car in 4000 miles ago for service, including a refill of the diesel fluid tank. That service, which was covered under BMW's free maintenance program, should have lasted us 15,000 miles, or at the very least the 11-12,000 miles the first tank got us. Not 4000. Something doesn't add up here. Either something is wrong with the car, which means everything should be covered under warranty, or the dealer shorted us on fluid the first time we had it here. So no, I'm not annoyed because I'm a journalist and feel like I should get special treatment, I'm annoyed as a customer who doesn't enjoy visiting the dealer every three months.
We only paid for that one bottle of fluid in the first place because we were curious about how much the stuff costs and how easy it is to add. People have asked, so now we have an answer. It's $40 for a half gallon and it's easy to add, but making the system think it is full again is harder than we expected.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Re: (windycityvdub)

Quote, originally posted by windycityvdub »

I don't think MWerks is related to Motorwerks? Is it? I was thinking they went to Patrick. (I thought VMG was based somewhere near there?)

No, Mwerks has absolutely no relation to Motorwerks. We've been going to BMW of Elmhurst because it is the closest to our office and because they also work on the normal media fleet cars, so they're the most familiar with diesels at this point. Between our 335d, the other one being loaned out in the region, and the one X5 diesel here, sounds like they've stayed pretty busy from what I've heard.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Re: MWerks Project 335d- Topping Up the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (Anson86-8v)

Quote, originally posted by Anson86-8v »
Ha! Nice shot there, stuff looks almost like a bottle of Grey Goose. Does it smell like pee?

No, it actually has no odor at all. And it looks like water, but feels a little slippery between your fingers. More like brake fluid than motor oil, if I had to describe it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Re: (climbingcue)

Quote, originally posted by climbingcue »
For our generator at work I buy UREA, 40% SOLUTION 275 GALLON TOTE for $1,369.50 that includes the cost of the tote. Which is $4.98 a gallon.

275 Gallon tote? Glad I'm not the guy that has to carry it around.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Re: (Brian_B)

Just returned form the dealership. Warning is off, but no answer as to why it was on in the first place. They refilled the tank, no charge.

·
Registered
19,725 Posts
Re: (VeeeDoubleU)

Quote, originally posted by VeeeDoubleU »
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2....html
DEF fluid may need to be replaced in hot climates where a truck sees little to no use for extended periods. DEF slowly converts to ammonia around 120 degrees, and the process accelerates as temperatures rise
maybe thats why they want a full drain and refill ?

It's got a limited shelf life of approx 18-24 months.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
FV-QR

sounds like the passive tank needs is the one to be filled, and that in turn pumps into the active tank. am i correct on this? i bet the warning sensor is only in the passive tank and was maybe neglected from a green to the car tech. thus in turn leading to the warning light and then not shutting off when you used the emergency bottle to fill the active tank.

·
Registered
19,725 Posts
Re: FV-QR (HASSELHOF)

Quote, originally posted by HASSELHOF »
sounds like the passive tank needs is the one to be filled, and that in turn pumps into the active tank. am i correct on this? i bet the warning sensor is only in the passive tank and was maybe neglected from a green to the car tech. thus in turn leading to the warning light and then not shutting off when you used the emergency bottle to fill the active tank.

The passive tank is a "dummy" tank.
Any electrics will be in the active tank, including level sensors.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Re: MWerks Project 335d- Topping Up the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (Wellington P Funk)

Quote, originally posted by Wellington P Funk »

Exhaust fluid is part of regular maintenance on this car. Would you be angry if you put off oil changes until your crankcase was full of molasses and you couldn't get your car started to save you from the zombie apocalypse?

Yes I understand that it is part of regular maintenance, and that it should be changed in time. But! Remember older diesels? They ran just fine without any exhaust additives, so it's not as important as all the other regular maintenance. So I'm just saying, it is kind of annoying that your car will not start (except for once after an empty DEF tank) with an empty tank. It's just an emissions thing I guess..

·
Registered
19,725 Posts
Re: MWerks Project 335d- Topping Up the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (BartVW)

Quote, originally posted by BartVW »

Yes I understand that it is part of regular maintenance, and that it should be changed in time. But! Remember older diesels? They ran just fine without any exhaust additives, so it's not as important as all the other regular maintenance. So I'm just saying, it is kind of annoying that your car will not start (except for once after an empty DEF tank) with an empty tank. It's just an emissions thing I guess..

Outside of the US it's also tax evasion. Your yearly road taxes are dictated by your emission level.

·
Registered
'19 Subaru Forester with the no-faster stripes
44,863 Posts
Re: MWerks Project 335d- Topping Up the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (gintaras)

Quote, originally posted by gintaras »
And a 100% serious question.. can you use urine in a pinch?

The two are not even remotely close. Urea is a component of urine, sure, but in small amounts. This doesn't look or smell of piss at all; it's got the feel of dishwater with no suds, and has more in common with Miracle-Gro than beer piss.

Modified by Turbiodiesel! at 5:40 PM 8-15-2009

41 - 60 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.