VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
7,931 Posts
Re: MWerks Project 335d- Topping Up the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (Turbiodiesel!)

Quote, originally posted by Turbiodiesel! »

The two are not even remotely close. Urea is a component of urine, sure, but in small amounts. This doesn't look or smell of piss at all; it's got the feel of dishwater with no suds, and has more in common with Miracle-Gro than beer piss.

Modified by Turbiodiesel! at 5:40 PM 8-15-2009

And this stuff probably isn't NEARLY as delicious and thirst quenching.

·
Registered
'19 Subaru Forester with the no-faster stripes
44,863 Posts
Re: MWerks Project 335d- Topping Up the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (FBMphil)

Quote, originally posted by FBMphil »

And this stuff probably isn't NEARLY as delicious and thirst quenching....

....to your mom.
I see someone enjoyed getting lost in the desert a little too much.

·
Banned
7,931 Posts
Re: MWerks Project 335d- Topping Up the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (Turbiodiesel!)

Quote, originally posted by Turbiodiesel! »

....to your mom.
I see someone enjoyed getting lost in the desert a little too much.

Listen here, just because I forget my water on purpose doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

·
Registered
20,588 Posts
Re: MWerks Project 335d- Topping Up the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (Shomegrown)

Quote, originally posted by Shomegrown »

Outside of the US it's also tax evasion. Your yearly road taxes are dictated by your emission level.

As it sounds, you only get a mere 1000 miles before it won't start. What if I drive it 999 mi with the light shining at me and then need to save the world. What then, tax man?

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Re: MWerks Project 335d- Topping Up the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (nm+)

Quote, originally posted by nm+ »

As it sounds, you only get a mere 1000 miles before it won't start. What if I drive it 999 mi with the light shining at me and then need to save the world. What then, tax man?

Oh gee, what do you do when your fuel tank is almost empty? Or, to use your words:
"As it sounds, you only get a mere 30 miles before it won't start. What if I drive it 29 miles with the light shining at me and then need to save the world. What then, tax man?"
Hmm... that's a tought one. I guess flying may be a better option, as it always was when saving the world, right Superman?

·
Registered
869 Posts

Outside of the US it's also tax evasion. Your yearly road taxes are dictated by your emission level.

I am from outside the US, and I have never heard of such a thing!
I don't think there would be one police officer, that would know the difference between an empty tank and one that is topped up. Maybe they do this in Germany or something, but not in other EU countries.

·
Registered
19,725 Posts
Re: MWerks Project 335d- Topping Up the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (BartVW)

Quote, originally posted by BartVW »

I am from outside the US, and I have never heard of such a thing!
I don't think there would be one police officer, that would know the difference between an empty tank and one that is topped up. Maybe they do this in Germany or something, but not in other EU countries.

That's my point. They don't check. That's why the automakers were forced by the government(s) to require the vehicle to stop running if the tank runs dry. It's not like that was BMW's choice.

·
Registered
869 Posts

That's my point. They don't check. That's why the automakers were forced by the government(s) to require the vehicle to stop running if the tank runs dry. It's not like that was BMW's choice.

Shame, stupid politicians.
There must be a may to get around this though.
If you drive and LPG equiped vehicle, the engine management can be 'fooled' by means of a computer chip. It basically tells the ECU that the injectors are still injecting petrol, even though they are not.
It must be possible to tell the ECU that the tank is still full of urea.

·
Registered
19,725 Posts
Re: MWerks Project 335d- Topping Up the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (BartVW)

Quote, originally posted by BartVW »

Shame, stupid politicians.
There must be a may to get around this though.
If you drive and LPG equiped vehicle, the engine management can be 'fooled' by means of a computer chip. It basically tells the ECU that the injectors are still injecting petrol, even though they are not.
It must be possible to tell the ECU that the tank is still full of urea.

You can fool the tank sensors, but there are also sensors in the exhaust to make sure the emissions are actually clean. If those fault, you'll have the same problem.
Someone could write a code to bypass all that stuff, though it would probably be illegal to sell or market it.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.