VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the Easter holiday, did I win an FB auction on a quite tired 80 cab.

The hope is to get it running, do a respray. And get the car looking good again.

The car has some issues.
It does not start, might have narrowed it down to a faulty coil.

It needs a lot of attention in the body and interior department.

So are on a lookout for parts and tips’n’tricks.

-Thelle-

·
Registered
463 Posts
Got any pics of this beauty?

I think you have demonstrated your skill, patience and ability you source parts from your last project I wish great success on this one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do now got two of these cars. Picked the first one up for 1100 USD, and got the second one for free.

Will try to get the first one running and ready this winter.

-Thelle-

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drove it to the workshop today.
It start out fine, but as the engine got hot, I tried to rev it a bit and get up too speed. The engine started making strange sound. And started lagging on throttle response.

The water temperature gauge does not work, so the ecu might give wrong A/F mixture due too the fault. The oil temp was about 70 deg Celsius.

Have found a temp sensor that looks like a small probe, do not know if that is the right sensor/sender.

Do also believe that the radiator fan switch is faulty, it runs always with ignition on. Has not found that one online yet.

Started doing some work on the brakes. Might have found why the ABS light is on, and the parking brake light flashes.
The ABS sensor rear left had 2mm of dirt on it, and the ABS rings was filled with dirt. Tried to clean it up as good as I could. Hopefully it is enough.

-Thelle-

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took apart the front brakes today.

Prepared the rear hubs and bearings for new grease.

-Thelle-

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Done some work today.

Reassembled the brakes. Painted the calipers. Just need too bleed the brakes and change out the brake fluid.

Took out the front seats and washed them. The car has gotten a bit humid (read: like a pool) inside during the fall. Due too lack of time and interest in taking good care of it. So now I’m paying for that, by washing out living organisms.

-Thelle-

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have now given up on this project.
Too many gremlins in the electronics.
And my patience has ran out.

I have bought a newer and functional cab instead.

So I will proceed with other projects instead.

-Thelle-

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve bought a 1998, registered in 1999, previously owned buy an old lady.

Only 71.000km on it.
It’s a 1,8 125ps.

This car does not need a lot of attention right now. But have booked appointment for paint of both rear wings and boot lid. Due too some small scratches is the paint.

The rest of the car is in such a good condition, that it deserves it.

Will paint it silver all the way down. Do not know if I will keep the bottom rubber on the doors and fenders black yet, do not want it to crack and chip after they are painted.

They also needs some adjustments, or replacements, but they are hard to come by. So I’m thinking of removing them from my parts car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts