VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've googled quite a bit, but I haven't seen this issue pop up on any of my searches. This February I just purchased a 2013 TDI, and within 2 weeks the check engine light went on.

First it was diagnosed as the rear O2 sensor, it was replaced and the light came on within 10 minutes of leaving the service center. Then they diagnosed it as the front O2 sensor, but this time they saw the light go on before notifying me.

The final resolution was replacing the wiring harness from the engine to the sensors (they had the car for 12+ days). This has worked for the past 2 weeks or so, but yesterday the light came back on.

Under NJ Lemon Law, I need to write a letter to VW before I bring it in for a third time to notify them that they have 10 days to come up with a final resolution.

Sadly, I will not be getting another VW after this, but these forums were great when I was researching my purchase and I just want this issue posted somewhere in case someone else has the same problem.

Good luck with your TDis, I loved driving mine and will miss it.

·
8,120 Posts
Are you sure the problem is with the car and not with the dealer/service center? I won't re-hash old things, but I stopped using one local dealership since it always took them 2 to 3 visits to properly repair my GLI. Another dealer further away from me always fixes the car right on the first visit. While they are trying to reduce the lousy experiences, there are still some less-than-knowledgeable ones out there. If it were me, I'd get a 'second opinion.'

·
Registered
279 Posts
Are you sure the problem is with the car and not with the dealer/service center? ...If it were me, I'd get a 'second opinion.'
Boy do I ever agree with you on that! I'm on my 5th Dub here in Arizona and I've tried three dealers. Two of them suck and the other one is more or less okay. In my opinion Volkswagen has really cut back on the quality of service at their dealerships and all of the fancy new building formats won't help. Back in 2007 they used to have more seasoned technicians that knew what the hell they were doing, and moreover they actually cared about their work. That has definitely gone away and now it's all about volume. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you sure the problem is with the car and not with the dealer/service center? I won't re-hash old things, but I stopped using one local dealership since it always took them 2 to 3 visits to properly repair my GLI. Another dealer further away from me always fixes the car right on the first visit. While they are trying to reduce the lousy experiences, there are still some less-than-knowledgeable ones out there. If it were me, I'd get a 'second opinion.'
That's a strong possibility, especially since they didnt seem to test drive the car after replacing the sensor the first time. But part of the reason that it took so long for them to even order the wire harness or replace the front O2 sensor was that they were waiting for VW to give them the go ahead, as VW wanted to thoroughly document everything.

Either way, im now seeing im not alone on the dashboard rattle or non folding backseat issue, and this is not how I imagine brand new car ownership should be.

·
Registered
279 Posts
...Either way, im now seeing im not alone on the dashboard rattle or non folding backseat issue, and this is not how I imagine brand new car ownership should be.
After five Dubs I can say they are typically built better than most but all brands have their new car quirks. The push button start switch on my TDI sliced the crap out of my index finger when I went to start it after a week of ownership. The plating peeled up to a razors sharp edge and blood went everywhere. The other bugs in my Bug were caused exclusively by the dealership.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts