VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My name is Alex and I live in Mason, OH located between Dayton and Cincinnati. I bought my 2013 Golf R end of November 2013. Her name is Miri (got to have a name, she is a living thing after all!), but sometimes I call her Chewy for her distinctive Chewbacca growl.
This is a "slow build" thread. I travel a lot for work and also dedicate a lot of time to hockey (for my team and for my son), so my progress in this build is not so fast. Here's its present look:

Bought as:
Tornado Red 4 dr.
R-mats and VW cargo protection.

Up to date modifications:
Engine:
APR stage 1+, done at Dubwerx, Cincinnati, OH
VWR cold air intake, purchased from APTuning
Loba Motorsport HPFP
R8 ignition coils
Bosch double platinum spark plugs
Metalnerd magnetic oil drain plug
USP Motorsports Cool Flow oil filter housing with fins
Hepu waterpump with metal impeller
CTS Turbo PCV delete
17-piece silicone coolant hose kit from Forge

Trans:
42 Draft Design shifter bushings
42 DD SBB's
Spulen adjustable front to back short shifter
Rear differential mount insert kit from ECS Tuning

Chassis:
Audi TTRS front 370 mm 2-piece Brembo rotors and 4-piston fixed Brembo calipers
ECS tuning front and rear steel braded lines
Front Carbotech 1521 brake pads
Rear ECS Tuning Geomet slotted and drilled rotors
Rear Carbotech 1521 brake pads (former Hawk 5.0 street brake pads)
Audi TTRS brake line brakets
Whiteline adjustable front sway bar links
Rear 26 mm sway bar from H&R

Wheels/tires:
Summer set-up
- O.Z. Racing Superturismo LM 8.5x19" wheels ET44
- Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position 235x35x19 tires
Winter set-up
- OEM Talladega 7.5x18" wheels
- Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 225x40x18 performance winter tires
- H&R hub centric 10 mm wheel spacers all around
- 37 mm lug bolts

Exterior/Interior:
Hella LED tail lights, bought from BKS Tuning, Germany
Cree ludicrously bright reverse LED's with resistors (error-free) from Deautokey
Seat back R-widgets
28% Solar Gard Non-reflective supreme window tint, installed at Eclipse Window Tinting, Cincinnati
Llumar clear bra on the hood, fenders and mirrors
"R" licence plate frame
Front splash guards

VAG COM mods:
Re-coded LED tail lights
Brake pad wear sensors disable

Maintenance:
Castrol Edge 0w40 (made in Germany)
Motul VW Specific 505 01 502 00 505 00 5W40 motor oil previously used
Cam follower replacement every 11-13,000 miles
Haldex Service at 40K
Timing belt/timing belt tensioner/timing rollers with new bolts/waterpump with new bolts/serpentine belt/motor mount bolts/crank pulley bolts replacement at 75K
Valve blast at 98K
Replaced all coolant hoses with Forge silicone 17 piece kit, replaced thermostat, coolant temp switch and coolant expansion tank @98K
Replaced oil filter housing and oil cooler gaskets at 98K
New injector seals at 98K

Planned mods:
Turbo-back exhaust from Unitronic
APR Stage 2+
Aluminum spindles
Aluminum front control arms
Koni yellow struts and shocks
Rear Mudflaps
I'm sure I think of more...

Previous mods:
Deutsche Auto Parts stud conversion kit for HPFP (removed - too much of a headache to remove the pump).

Car I had prior to that was 2003 Audi A4, that I kept for almost 11 years. For most part my motorsports were in the motorcycle area. Had some nice sport bikes, but this was in the past. My last bikes were BMW R1200R and Ducati Monster:

First got the car:

Miri is enjoying winter weather with her 4-Motion!:)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VWR cold air intake installed

Spring finally came to Ohio and today was a perfect day to install my VWR cold air intake. I modified the mounting bracket and slightly moved the small coolant hose so no rubbing would occur. Since mounting bracket is aluminum, only file was used:

The I put some heat resistant tape over filed edge and also used this tape on the hoses:

After fitting the filter canister I noticed another small problem with some rubbing. I cut the hose as shown using a new hose clamp:

Now the looks before TTS cover installation:

·
Registered
534 Posts
hello from Pleasant Ridge

Nice plan you have for your R. Love that Audi engine cover, and the air intake installation. Will you do the Haldex flash mod? Plan to disable the ESC? Best of luck, and looking forward to seeing your project happen.:thumbup:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice plan you have for your R. Love that Audi engine cover, and the air intake installation. Will you do the Haldex flash mod? Plan to disable the ESC? Best of luck, and looking forward to seeing your project happen.:thumbup:
Thanks a lot for the kind words! So far I haven't got to these items as I have so many other things that I prioritized and don't have all the time I would like to have.:facepalm: My best plan to describe is to be able to drive my car with a very big grin on my face, but... on public roads. I don't plan any track action for it. If I was ever to build something like this for racing it would be a WRC Class B:cool: But little by little I will see where my next smaller mods will take me.

Which color R do you have and how many doors? Since I got mine last Novemeber I only saw one in Cinci, it was just last week. It was a carbon steel grey, 2 dr. I believe there are a couple more according to the registry and I also corresponded with another member from Cinci.

·
Registered
534 Posts
a picture

Have you come across any mods for the steering ratio? I traded in an 02 WRX on mine. I had installed an 11.5:1 Q-Rack, and I really miss the more direct and quicker steering feel. It was a hydraulic unit versus the electric of the R.
my Black Mamba at Eden Park

·
Registered
994 Posts
Your setup looks similar to mine. I have to start my own project build thread soon myself.

Keep up the Good work. :thumbup:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you come across any mods for the steering ratio? I traded in an 02 WRX on mine. I had installed an 11.5:1 Q-Rack, and I really miss the more direct and quicker steering feel. It was a hydraulic unit versus the electric of the R.
my Black Mamba at Eden Park

Your Black Mamba looks awsome!!:thumbup::thumbup:
To be honest, I haven't looked into any steering mods, but I understand your point. I can also imagine that after coming off WRX, you have probably missed them awesome Brembo brakes. Are you going to upgrade yours to complete Brembo mod, or you plan to keep stock calipers, while replacing rotors, pads and lines?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
forget needs moar low.
this needs low.

when?
Hi Ryan. I saw your low mod, but I got a completely different view on this subject. First of all, if I lower by just 1 mm, I will not clear my driveway entrance. I already roll off of it like an old lady :) Also, as I mentioned in my thread, I have always been a huge fan of WRC racing, which ultimatly inspired me to get the R. So I will definately keep the stock height, looking more like the WRC Class B rally car:cool:

·
Registered
534 Posts
your 13 Golf R/ quite capapble

Your Black Mamba looks awsome!!:thumbup::thumbup:
To be honest, I haven't looked into any steering mods, but I understand your point. I can also imagine that after coming off WRX, you have probably missed them awesome Brembo brakes. Are you going to upgrade yours to complete Brembo mod, or you plan to keep stock calipers, while replacing rotors, pads and lines?
When I owned my REX, I didn't do a lot of mods to it, though I drove it to Texas for a custom tune which boosted power to about 280 hp. But the best mods I ever did to the car were the Cusco anti-roll bars f/r, and a custom rack I imported from a Canadian shop that made the "Quick-Rack" for the Subie Rally scene. At 11.5:1 I considered that rack a must-have. It improved steering response, and quickness and road feel. It was far better than the stock 16:1 rack, and made the car just so cool to tool around in just because the steering was so damned good. The new MKvii R will have a 13:1 ratio versus the 15:1 in the mkvi. I guess my point is I'd like to improve the steering feel and ratio on my mkvi, but I don't know of a way to do that, nor if anything is offered for that. Don't need bigger better brakes. This car brakes with much more authority than m y old REX could. SOAP BOX TIME! I read a lot of reviews about the R before I bought mine, and not a lot of them were flattering. Guys seemed to be hung up because of no defeat for the ESC. Some were downright insulting about it. But I found one review that really mattered to me in an article I read here (it puts the car's stock capabilities in perspective): http://www.caranddriver.com/features/lightning-lap-2012-feature-lightning-lap-2012-ll2-class-page-4 You will please note that the under-powered R didn't do too badly compared to the STi, and was reported to brake like an EVO. That was good enough for me to see what the car can do suspension-wise. I now have APR's stage-1/ver 3.31. It does not overpower the suspension or the brakes for my style of driving so further mods will be limited to minor tweaks. I found out I can have the ESC defeat mod done for about $100.00. I need to study that one a bit more. I've read here that it does nothing to improve track numbers (being loose is being slow). I have experienced some mind-numbing understeer, but I can chalk that up to poor technique on my part because the car will rotate quite happily around the right foot. It's a very good car and I can't wait to see how it stacks up against the new mk-vii. SOAP BOX OFF!:)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I owned my REX, I didn't do a lot of mods to it, though I drove it to Texas for a custom tune which boosted power to about 280 hp. But the best mods I ever did to the car were the Cusco anti-roll bars f/r, and a custom rack I imported from a Canadian shop that made the "Quick-Rack" for the Subie Rally scene. At 11.5:1 I considered that rack a must-have. It improved steering response, and quickness and road feel. It was far better than the stock 16:1 rack, and made the car just so cool to tool around in just because the steering was so damned good. The new MKvii R will have a 13:1 ratio versus the 15:1 in the mkvi. I guess my point is I'd like to improve the steering feel and ratio on my mkvi, but I don't know of a way to do that, nor if anything is offered for that. Don't need bigger better brakes. This car brakes with much more authority than m y old REX could. SOAP BOX TIME! I read a lot of reviews about the R before I bought mine, and not a lot of them were flattering. Guys seemed to be hung up because of no defeat for the ESC. Some were downright insulting about it. But I found one review that really mattered to me in an article I read here (it puts the car's stock capabilities in perspective): http://www.caranddriver.com/features/lightning-lap-2012-feature-lightning-lap-2012-ll2-class-page-4 You will please note that the under-powered R didn't do too badly compared to the STi, and was reported to brake like an EVO. That was good enough for me to see what the car can do suspension-wise. I now have APR's stage-1/ver 3.31. It does not overpower the suspension or the brakes for my style of driving so further mods will be limited to minor tweaks. I found out I can have the ESC defeat mod done for about $100.00. I need to study that one a bit more. I've read here that it does nothing to improve track numbers (being loose is being slow). I have experienced some mind-numbing understeer, but I can chalk that up to poor technique on my part because the car will rotate quite happily around the right foot. It's a very good car and I can't wait to see how it stacks up against the new mk-vii. SOAP BOX OFF!:)
Maybe I was thinking of an earlier model REX, I rememeber at least 2003-2004 had a very nice Brembo package stock, so maybe you did not get it on 2002.
Yes, I understand your view of the steering rack on Mk6. This is something to think about in the future. Maybe someone will come up with this mod. Mk7 has some cool new features and better stock numbers, but at the same time I wonder how VWA will treat this EA888. On the current EA888 on GTI that have a plastic oil pan (hopefully will not migrate to the R!!!). As you know we often get ripped off on this side of the Atlantic with some stupid decisions VWA makes. Also will be more expensive to do Stage 3 and beyound on this as it has integrated exhaust manifold with cylinder head.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
I get it, I have a similar issue as I'm creeping into my garage. I have to Granny-It.
So I can't go any lower than VWR springs.
AND I drive the car on spirited cruises in the mtns and will be tracking it this year. So this height is cool.

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the exact same car and live in mason. I think I might have seen you at the UDF on reading and tylersville rd. Sort of odd that I never see these and the exact same car is right done the street

1 - 20 of 143 Posts