VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just graduated from college last semester and accepted a job this week. My parents promised under certain circumstances that they would help me purchase a car. As a current Jeep driver, I wanted to find a new car that stood out but was still youthful and certainly more fuel efficient. Volkswagen was my target brand - hands down.

Thus began the car searching process. First, I dug the Alltrack (too pricey, not the coolest), then I gravitated towards the Passat R-line (great value but too large), and finally I even considered the GLI (sporty, but still just a sedan). Ultimately, I decided on the GTI; because of course, that's what VW does best. Initially, I feared the GTI would be too drastic of a downsize from my Jeep, but after several rounds of test driving, I knew it was the one.

In my opinion, the Sport trim is the best package out there for 2017. The wheels make a bold statement and the Bi-Xenons w/ LED DRLs are a no brainer. The sunroof and navigation I could care less about (Apple Car Play will suffice). The only quarrel I had with the Sport trim are the plaid seats - which I find resemble a gothic girl's skirt - although I do favor the cloth material. Regarding exterior colors, I don't believe you can go wrong on the GTI, although I desired a lower maintenance color.

Anyways, I have just completed the lengthy negotiation process and have the car reserved and ready for pickup tomorrow (Wednesday) morning. Here she is in the dealer's spillover lot, fresh off the truck. What a beauty. More updates and photos will be posted in this thread along the way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I'm don't plan on tuning or adding any additional performance (at least not yet), however there are some aesthetic modifications / features I wish to eventually add:

• VW center wheel caps (if they don't come already)
  • GTI rubber monster mats (will come already installed)
  • Fabric protectant for cloth seats (I've read Gtechniq is reputable?)
  • Smoked rear license plate cover (yes - I love these)
  • Window tint sides and rear (20 - 35% any thoughts?)
  • Wind deflectors (not sure if these are tacky or not)
  • Gloss black Eurobadgez front and rear badges (haven't decided on this yet)
  • Klii Motorwerkes color match inlays (to offset the infamous black blob)
  • Eurobadgez MkVII rear badge (also not sure how this would look)
  • Black film wrap the top

I'm open to suggestions of brands, specs, etc. if you have experience with any of these easy mods.

I'll probably come up with more...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats. Lots of protective wrapping, which is definitely good to see.

Tell the salesperson multiple times to make absolutely sure that they remove the strut pucks before delivery. That is an easily avoidable problem with the dealers that has happened to many of us here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
I highly recommend KiiMotorwerks for the badge inlays, I did to my Tornado Red and WHAT a difference it looks so good and the quality is top notch!. I screwed up my sticker inlays the first time so I will be redoing soon, however the product is very good. I thought about actually removing logo and doing the inlay without stickers, I just don't want to break my chrome logo. Might I also suggest an OBDeleven, for the inevitable coding you are going to want to do, and my personal favorite, power folding mirrors!

Enjoy Reflex Silver is one of my favorite colors next to my Tornado Red! ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts

Tell the salesperson multiple times to make absolutely sure that they remove the strut pucks before delivery. That is an easily avoidable problem with the dealers that has happened to many of us here.

This! Beat it into their heads :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
I personally would go for 35% - its what I have on my white 17 sport and it looks dark enough. And assuming 20% is illegal where you are, you'll never run into a situation where you have to say hi to a cop. One thing: go with ceramic...its worth the extra money!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Congrats!

If your concerned about protecting the car take a look at clear film protection; xpel, sun guard, 3m.

Also no matter how good you think you are at cleaning waxing your car try a good detail shop just once!

Great looking car; congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
I personally would go for 35% - its what I have on my white 17 sport and it looks dark enough. And assuming 20% is illegal where you are, you'll never run into a situation where you have to say hi to a cop. One thing: go with ceramic...its worth the extra money!
Agree! I also have 35% on my white 17 sport (though I am on the other side of the country, Raeger, so we won't get our cars mixed up :laugh: ).

The tint installer I go to uses SunTek ceramic. I've got "limo" (5%) tint on the rear side windows and 20% on the hatch window of my Eurovan. I had this done a few years ago with SunTek as well and it still looks great. The 5% can make backing up at night a little challenging, but the Eurovan has ginormous side mirrors, so it is not as difficult to see out of as the GTI (with tiny side mirrors and 35% tint). Never been pulled over in the Eurovan for the tint, but hey, it is a minivan. :snowcool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Thanks for the heads up on the strut pucks, I honestly had no idea. Unfortunately, I saw this after taking delivery. Is there an easy way to check if they were removed?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

35% is what I was leaning towards. Thanks for the affirmation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the strut pucks, I honestly had no idea. Unfortunately, I saw this after taking delivery. Is there an easy way to check if they were removed?
Just search for "strut" "pucks" (or equivalent) and you'll find lots of good info. That's how I confirmed I had the issue, and now I'm trying to pay it forward.

Symptoms are extra harsh rides over even small bumps and an extra large gap between front tire and fender. You can also see the baby blue plastic spacers if you lift up the rubber boot covering your front shocks-- check out the pix from your search.

I also have silver-- it's an SE but the stock rims on your Sport look so much better IMO.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.