VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive decided that im going to keep my 240sx and fix it up and swap in a sr20det, im looking at the redtop motors since theyre cheaper but will buy a blacktop for the right price, basically im looking for the most reliable and straightforward company to buy the motor from, im completly new to nissan so i have no clue. Im going to be attempting the swap myself with some help from a friend, but i would love some general info on the swap and anything else related thanks guys
fisrt rule, not mine but i love this one

· Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (RedIrishman)

Well i also forgot to mention that, my brother is kind of financing the project and he wants to do the sr20det and im going to be doing the most of the labor with some help from friends. And i have never rebuilt an engine before, basically i don't want to get to over my head. I realize that the ka has more displacement, and has a lot of power potential, but it just seems that the sr20 swap would be more straight forward. But i would like to be proved wrong so gmmme info

· Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (Rad Red Brick)

Anyone have any good links, or places to purchase an sr20 from? I know theres altleast one peron in here wiht that swap
Btw thanks for the zilvia link good site http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by tallicagolf at 6:11 PM 9-13-2005

· Registered
1,590 Posts
nicoclub.com http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Also, none of this KA vs SR BS. It's all about preference. Both motors bolt in, both have their ups and downs. SR revs high, KA is a torque MONSTER

RB25 for the win, though

· Registered
1,541 Posts

Quote, originally posted by RedIrishman »

Uhhh actually I can, know anything ont he subject?

I've owned an SR20 powered car for 10 years. I haven't done any swaps or a lot of wrench turning, but I've done a ton of research. What do you know about it - care to share with the group? If the KA with a turbo is so grand why is an sr20det swap SOP? Why didn't they just put that dog of an engine in the sylvia in the first place?

· Registered
11,037 Posts

you dont need an sr20det swap...
you need to fix whats worn out first. most likely all your bushings are shot to crap, motor mounts might be cracked, and all your other suspension/brakes stuff.....assuming you havent touched your suspension/tires/brake components, its totally a worthless effort just to drop in an sr20det and leave everything else worn out.....
what do you need 210hp right away for and no good stopping power?

· Banned
3,331 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Rad Red Brick »
I've owned an SR20 powered car for 10 years. I haven't done any swaps or a lot of wrench turning, but I've done a ton of research. What do you know about it - care to share with the group? If the KA with a turbo is so grand why is an sr20det swap SOP? Why didn't they just put that dog of an engine in the sylvia in the first place?

Because the "dog of an engine" was a truck motor put into the north american cars do to emissions.
What do I know about it? Besides owning a 93 240sx with a DOHC ka motor and working on it hands on with some skilled mechanic friends of mine. I've also read many write ups on the ka24de -> ka24det build up. If I can find a clean 240sx that's stock after I sell my volvo then i'm going to go KAT.
And just because the sr20det swap is the popular thing to do, doesn't mean it's the can all, be all, god's gift to nissan.
I'd sacrifice a few hp for gobs more tq.

· Registered
42,970 Posts
Re: (Jerry_HEAVEN)

Quote, originally posted by Jerry_HEAVEN »
you dont need an sr20det swap...
you need to fix whats worn out first. most likely all your bushings are shot to crap, motor mounts might be cracked, and all your other suspension/brakes stuff.....assuming you havent touched your suspension/tires/brake components, its totally a worthless effort just to drop in an sr20det and leave everything else worn out.....
what do you need 210hp right away for and no good stopping power?

SHHHHHH!!!! The truth will burn their ears! It will blow their minds like the true voice of God!
My friend bought someone's aborted SR20 swap project this spring... aborted for that exact reason, the guy dropped the motor in then couldn't stand the way the car drove all floppy. So we've been fixing the chassis piece by piece... not a bad deal.
But ideally you'd like to do all that first, because you'll be amazed how FUN the car is with 140-155hp and razor-sharp BMW-like handling. That's how I built my red and white 240SXs and I wouldn't do it any other way.
That's why people praise that white car in the first post... it was built from a bare shell to ROCK.
Oh, and dude... if you think an SR20DET lacks torque, drive one.
With a nice big exhaust and a cone filter, the stock turbos spool at the snap of a finger and the car just pulls like a train. They start with 202lb-ft...

· Banned
647 Posts

Ka and sr will make about same power till upgrades are needed.
AKA FUEL for example will run out on both at about same HP..
ka has more torque...
sr has better high rpm reliability..
BOth can be fast Have personaly seens a 400 hp KA motor...
and seen an assumed 400 hp sr motor from a guy at enkei.
I only saw the KA dyno not the sr just going by what he said.
and when i say 400 its not exactly 400 the ka put down like 406-9 dont remember exactly..
I had an sr and i must say its good motor.. BUT I ALSO seen them blow STOCK with just boost controllers and bolt ons

· Banned
3,331 Posts
Re: (AKADriver)

Quote, originally posted by AKADriver »

Oh, and dude... if you think an SR20DET lacks torque, drive one.
With a nice big exhaust and a cone filter, the stock turbos spool at the snap of a finger and the car just pulls like a train. They start with 202lb-ft...

I don't think it lacks torque.
Maybe it's just a prefrence thing, that's why they make vanilla and chocolate. Maybe I'm just bored with seeing sr20 swaps, not they're boring.
We'll all just agree to disagree http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
2,037 Posts
Re: (CTg602003)

Quote, originally posted by CTg602003 »
KAT is terrible, sr20 owns JJOOOOO!!!! Or you could always do a rb series swap, more money, but my buddies RB25DET s13 hauls some serious arse, scares the crap outta me

I can second that one, being we both know the kid...RB20, 25, and 26 rip serious ass...they just need to get them done again!

· Registered
3,988 Posts
Re: My 240 needs a sr20 (tallicagolf)

I'll let everyone argue about what engine is better, I used to work at a Nissan dealer and it used to be a daily thing, I need not listen to it now..... anyways, this is the site you want to go to to get pricing and availability on JDM engines http://www.passwordjdm.com/ , I used to order tons of JDM parts when I owned my business, they are very dependable, good quality products. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
good luck with the swap, have fun with your new toy.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.