VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

My 78 Golf MK1 Resto-project - Lot's of pic's -

1M views 1K replies 377 participants last post by  B1-16V 
#1 · (Edited)
* If you are a first time reader, I'd like to let you know that this thread was started over 10 years ago. I have since learned a lot, both from trial and error, but also from the answers given me in this and other forum threads. Trends have come and passed in the span of my owning the car, so all the stuff you see may not be to todays taste, but if you browse all the way to the end, You'll see that the car is still evolving :) *

Hi Guys! I thought I'd start a thread about my Golf.
Plans for the car is to get rid of all the rust, respray it in Lofoten-green , slam it to the ground and stick some Smoor 8X15's on it.
As for the engine, I'm not quite sure yet, either there will be made some performance upgrades to the engine it has now, or I'll swap it for something bigger.
This is all a huge challenge for me, as I've never before even set my foot in a garage..

If all goes as planned, I'll have the car ready for spring/summer 06
And in advance, please bear with all of my typo's, poor grammar and lack of technical terms as I am Norwegian.
I bought the car late summer 05. At the time it looked pretty much like this:

Started ripping apart the interior immediately

Removing rust:

Found a hole or two

Primer:

Removing glue from inside

More holes

Pic of the floor

One proud owner posing with car..

Cutting away a couple of bits that needed replacement

Bits 'n pieces replaced.. You an also see I’ve started to sandblast the side of the car:

Started disassembling the front

Big surprise, found some more rust

Overview about a month into the project:

More sandblasting, here where the rear side window is supposed to sit

Rear left side of car primed:

Right side primed up, doors coming of

Mid-November came the time for ordering rims for the car. I ended up with these in 15X8. I plan to fit 195/45 15 tires to them when they arrive

Some patching of the bodywork:

Nothing beats the feeling of seeing your best friend using an angle-grinder on your car:

So, what do one do? Well.. Join in

Why? To remove the front of the car:

And, at the end of the day we fitted an new front:

Then, still with some bodywork yet to do, I got a bit tired of that kind of work, so I started renovating the brakes and suspension parts:

Overview in the beginning of December:

More renovating of bit's 'n pieces

New poly-bushes

By the first week of December I had also received my brand new FK adjustable coilovers:

And that is pretty much where I'm at today... Will continue working on the car during the winter... If you want, I'll try to keep this thread updated..

See less See more
#1,252 ·
Thinking back to the days when I updated daily, seeing 7 months since the last update is a bit sad.

But, I guess thatshow life goes.

Not much has happenedon the car since last time. Dealer delivered it back home a month or so ago and that´s it.
However, there is hope. The garage is finally up. Been working on it since march. Still need to get the floor coated and put up drawers and cabinets to store tools and stuff but it´s nice to see the visionI had come to life :D

#8 ·
Re: My 78 Golf MK1 Resto-project - Lot's of pic's - (ekkoj)

Awesome thread, great pics and sweet bunny!
I can't wait to see more updates.
What did you use/how did you remove all of the carpet glue?
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#9 ·
Re: My 78 Golf MK1 Resto-project - Lot's of pic's - (Rabbit)

Thanks again for the response guys.
Quote, originally posted by Rabbit »
Awesome thread, great pics and sweet bunny!
I can't wait to see more updates.
What did you use/how did you remove all of the carpet glue?
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I Used 3M citrusspray and Aceton + a bucketload of patience.
Mind you though, the Aceton will eat your paint, so unless you plan on a respray, go with the Citrus-spray.

Modified by ekkoj at 5:00 PM 12-13-2005

#10 ·
pritty damm good for some one that said they had never set foot in a grarge. :thumbsup: OH and I hate you for getting a golf with small chromes allready on it. LOL

#11 ·
Re: My 78 Golf MK1 Resto-project - Lot's of pic's - (the_journalist)

Quote, originally posted by the_journalist »
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif For keeping another mk1 alive. Looks like it's coming along quite nicely. Keep up the good work.

ditto.. Seeing this makes me realize how long its been since ive worked on my bunnies.... thanks for the inspiration...

#13 · (Edited)
Re: My 78 Golf MK1 Resto-project - Lot's of pic's - (d-bot)

Quote, originally posted by d-bot »
For your own sake please wear some safety glasses!
That's not me, thats my pal... He must have a thing for sparks in the eye... He never wears safety glasses... For me, safety first, I always wear them
Quote, originally posted by d-bot »
other than that it looks like the car is comming out great! Nice work so far http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Thanks
Quote, originally posted by elmer fud »
pritty[img=http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/6299/golf2270yq.jpg] damm good for some one that said they had never set foot in a grarge. :thumbsup: OH and I hate you for getting a golf with small chromes allready on it. LOL
Thanks, I do get some help with the welding, but other than that, it's all my work. Learning by doing
Those chromes were pretty messed up btw, so either I'll have them chromed up or I'll have to buy some new ones...

#16 ·
Hey, great progress pics man! I bet its going to be awesome knowing that you have repaired every little thing on the car and when your done its going to be mint! im in the process of doing exactly what you are, and you seem to have the same problems as me.
How did you over come the rust holes where the floor meets the door sill at a 90 degree corner, did you just put a 90 degree piece of metal and weld it in?
Also for respraying the axles and control arms, what did you spray on? is that a self etching primer then a undercoating type material, im at that point now, and wondering what the best rout is, thanks! and keep up the good work

#19 · (Edited)
Re: (ONT-WRX)

Quote, originally posted by ONT-WRX »
Hey, great progress pics man! I bet its going to be awesome knowing that you have repaired every little thing on the car and when your done its going to be mint! im in the process of doing exactly what you are, and you seem to have the same problems as me. How did you over come the rust holes where the floor meets the door sill at a 90 degree corner, did you just put a 90 degree piece of metal and weld it in?
Also for respraying the axles and control arms, what did you spray on? is that a self etching primer then a undercoating type material, im at that point now, and wondering what the best rout is, thanks! and keep up the good work

Thanks.
The holes in the door sills aren't repaired yet. But, I'm planning on first cutting away the area around the rust, then fitting an 90 degree piece of metal and weld it in.
But this depends on how bad the doorsills look on the other side. If done really properly, I think the best is to replace the door sills and then welding in the missing part of the floor.As for the axels an other pieces it it a bit hard to explain as I'm Afraid my English doesn't quite cover all of the expressions used, but I'll try.
First I cleaned all the rust away with a sort of a steel brush fitted to the angle-grinder. But if you have the chance, sandblast all the parts.
Then, when all the rust was gone I applied something called duxola. It is simply a paint made to paint on metal that is supposed to prevent rust. I applied three layers using a plain painting-brush.
When dry, I sprayed on something we call Tectyl. (don't know if you guys call it that), The tectyl is a sort of sticky coating (similar to tar) that keeps moisture away.
The tectyl only got applied to the rear axle and theese (Don't know the english word)

Not much of an explanation, but I hope it helps.

Modified by ekkoj at 7:18 PM 12-13-2005

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.