VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AC was working fine a few days ago and now it only blows hot air
The dash fans work, but it doesn't seem like the AC motor is kicking in. I checked the fuse and it's fine. Here's the thing, over the weekend I cleaned my engine bay and when it came to hosing it down, don't ask me why, but I thought it would be a good idea to protect the the alternator by putting a piece of tin foil over it. As soon as I did that I got an electrical snap and didn't think much of it until now and I'm wondering if I shorted something out. Once before my AC went out, and it was because some wire got disconnected, I'm hoping that's the case, but with my luck I'll probably have to get out my wallet. What do you all think the deal is with my AC?

· Registered
2,504 Posts
Re: My AC just stopped working, help! (RockHarder)

2 things you can check.
1, the relay for the AC, it's right there to the right (drivers side) of the fan closest to the motor. You can try tapping it or swapping it out if you happen to know someone @ has one you can try.
2, the high low pressure switch, it's also on the drivers side of the engine bay and has 4 little blue wires hanging out. You can jump the 2 wires to see if it will kick the AC on. That's normally the prob if your refrig gets too low (below 25 lbs I think).
Hope it helps, but I can't say that either may be affected that much by water

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: My AC just stopped working, help! (Spec3VR6)

Quote, originally posted by Spec3VR6 »
rip it out!

No can do, I'm a wimp and can't take the heat

So what will tapping on the AC relay do? I suppose getting a new one from the dealer can't be all that expensive. Anyone think I shorted something (the relay?) when I put the tin foil on the alternator? I was fairly careful not to drench any of the electronics when I hosed the engine off.

· Registered
738 Posts
Re: My AC just stopped working, help! (RockHarder)

that's why i don't clean my engine bay...i mean somebody said before/ it's well known/ my expirience, that the C's are electrical monsters and i figure that just spraying a bit of water in the engine is just asking for trouble. unless you going to a show and the probs even out with the rewards!!!

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: My AC just stopped working, help! (ravenG60)

I really don't think the water shorted anything, but stranger things have happened. If something is in fact shorted, it probably goes back to me putting the tin foil on the alternator

So what does tapping the relay do? Would it cause the connection to flip on?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.