VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got my APR Carbonio Intake installed in the '12 GLI, and when I was looking around for pics of an install with a CBFA engine I couldnt find many showing exactly what was done with the secondary air intake, and how it would look. So I figured I would post the final results. The SAI comes up from under where the airbox used to be, and faces aft - and its pretty easy to secure it to the chassis so everything looks symmetrical. (Although the big hole left by the airbox is a bit unsightly, but you can fix that with a bit of heat resistant material.

Also, for those who were wondering how much easier the ECU is to get to than the previous years, you can see the metal housing for it just to the right of the battery case, it comes out in like 2 seconds.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what is that foam looking piece by the battery?
It was some hi-temp foam that I had lying around from work, I just use it to make that hole a little more sightly.

Did your kit come with the L bracket to help create clearance for the brake reservoir cap?
No, it did not - But I purchased my kit about a month ago, and I think it had been in stock for a bit, so it didnt have the new stuff.

But I read your post, and during the install I noticed that it seemed to rest on the brake reservoir cap, and didnt think anything about it. I have driven it about a month with no vibration issues. However when I look at my install, the rubber sleeve that mates with the MAF happens to reach just far enough back to keep the Carbon Fiber off the lid proper, and I imagine that dampened the vibrations.

I will be contacting APR for that brace, I was actually curious why it didnt come with one myself!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks good man. But it looks like you tires are completely flat!:confused:
Haha - Yea - Its kinda looks that way because of that shadow - But im parked in the street and the curb is blocking the rest of the tire.... :)

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Are you looking to gauge its audible signature?
You got it. I've been looking everywhere for some kind of indication of what the intake sounds like on a stock GLI (i.e. no APR tuning). I know I am getting one (sans the extra pipe), but I was curious to what to expect for the sound.

·
Registered
225 Posts
not the best video sorry but at least its something, took it real quick when leaving the parking garage at my work

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
not the best video sorry but at least its something, took it real quick when leaving the parking garage at my work
Is that a huge "WHOOSH" from the intake?!?! Call me cheezy and F&F but it almost sounds like a BOV but deeper and more pronounced. And I Love It!

Also, looks like you were just tooling around in your work parking garage and need to put your seatbelt on lol. Also thumbs up for appropriate signalling:thumbup:

·
Registered
225 Posts
yea its a bit echoed in the video but sounds similar, haha no i was just leaving, not "tooling around". Weird how our garage is designed, i was just going down and around the exit ramps. Also, due to the narrow passages in the garage, i had my hazards on, not my turn signals lol

·
Registered
123 Posts
yea its a bit echoed in the video but sounds similar, haha no i was just leaving, not "tooling around". Weird how our garage is designed, i was just going down and around the exit ramps. Also, due to the narrow passages in the garage, i had my hazards on, not my turn signals lol
nice sound from the bov. was that from a dsg or mt

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You got it. I've been looking everywhere for some kind of indication of what the intake sounds like on a stock GLI (i.e. no APR tuning). I know I am getting one (sans the extra pipe), but I was curious to what to expect for the sound.
Here is a video I made just for the audio (haha) so its all black for your enjoyment. It is from my phone, which is placed just inside my open sunroof, and driving around my neighborhood but purposely opening it up and releasing to highlight the acoustics. The turbo woosh is very pronounced outside the vehicle (This sound is coming in through the sunroof), a little less inside with everything sealed up. This is on stock mode. DSG.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Damn that sounds good. Imma have to get one now. Did I feel any difference in power gain. And are you receiveing any better mpgs

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Damn that sounds good. Imma have to get one now. Did I feel any difference in power gain. And are you receiveing any better mpgs
With just the intake alone I did notice that the turbo spooled up quicker, which ended up pulling faster, and with a slight amount of increased pull - I personally didnt notice a huge pull increase, but it was there. The reduction of the turbo lag what what made the most driving difference to me.

As for MPG, I dont have an answer for you. I bought this vehicle purely to tweak it and drive every stop and go like I was being chased by a squad of zombie navy seals, so my MPG hovers around 25-26 pretty consistently, and I didnt gather any MPG baselines before (I really did mean to, but everytime I got in the damn car my alter ego got the best of me....If it didnt sound so damn growly when you get on it I would have been fine!)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Agree 100% it does have a great engine sound when it revs up. My buddy has a 11 gti and while he has an exhaust note outside of the vechile. My non exsistant outside exhaust note is taken by that lovely interior growl from the engine. I think I may really want one of these intakes but still that dumb void thing the dealership will do once I have it. Just like the stage 1 tune that I really want. Maybe I'll wait till I have a few more miles on my car. 1500 is still pretty new

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Agree 100% it does have a great engine sound when it revs up. My buddy has a 11 gti and while he has an exhaust note outside of the vechile. My non exsistant outside exhaust note is taken by that lovely interior growl from the engine. I think I may really want one of these intakes but still that dumb void thing the dealership will do once I have it. Just like the stage 1 tune that I really want. Maybe I'll wait till I have a few more miles on my car. 1500 is still pretty new
Feline sleepware is tough stuff - my Intake went in at 623.5 Miles, and my Downpipe and tune went in at 1965, and only that long because APR took 4 weeks to ship it to me. :)

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Ordering next week. Holy sex thats a great sound.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Feline sleepware is tough stuff - my Intake went in at 623.5 Miles, and my Downpipe and tune went in at 1165, and only that long because APR took 4 weeks to ship it to me. :)
any noticeable increase in sound after doing the downpipe and software? its kinda tough to hear the exhaust note in that video...sounds great tho kinda like mine :beer:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts